Carry on Regardless. PHOTOS REPLACED

Badder

THANKS TO PHOTOBUCKET, I AM HAVING TO REPLACE ALL OF THE PHOTOS IN THIS WIP.

IT MAY BE THAT I CANNOT REPLACE THEM ALL, IN WHICH CASE I WILL HAVE TO EDIT THE ACCOMPANYING TEXTS.

I EXPECT I WILL HAVE TO REMOVE SOME SECTIONS OF TEXT COMPLETELY IN ORDER TO KEEP EVERYTHING FLOWING.

PLEASE BE PATIENT WHILE I EDIT THIS WIP.

THANKS,

BADDER

I am currently in the process of making a Mark II Universal Carrier (Forced Reconnaissance) Tamiya, 1/35th and as I am coming towards the end (vehicle wise - but not the figures) I am now considering the scenario for the diorama.

I like the fact that these numerous workhorses were small, light, fast and manoeuvrable, so I want to depict this in the diorama. I have therefore decided to show the carrier charging across rough terrain, through bushes, splashing through puddles, ploughing through mud and possibly going airborne!

With this in mind, I cannot fully finish the painting of the carrier just yet. I have muddied it up to the minimum level of dirtiness required, but I will add wet muddiness once the scenario is fully visualised.

Please be aware that the diorama will take me a while to make as I will be trying out various methods of making splashes, muddy water, bow waves and general wettery before I actually start on the groundwork.

I will also be having my first ever go at modelling grassy banks/fields using my bodged-up STATIC GRASS APPLICATOR. There are videos online showing how to make this particular one, based on an 'Electronic Bug Zapper'. I have trialled it but it wasn't working brilliantly... saying that I have now received tips from BM members and expect it to work better in future. P.s I have received several shocks and believe me they were 5 times greater than those given by normal electric cattle fences. They HURT, jolting my entire body! Poor flies, is all I can say.

That's it for now. I will return to working on the carrier. I expect to commence work on the diorama by next weekend.

Thanks for looking,
Badder.

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

I know it aint the same, but the grass powder ive been using has gone down really well.

Using micro crystal clear & water, spraying it on the wood base, sprinkling the grass powder onto it.

Then spraying some more on top of the grass & leaving it to dry for 24 hours, has worked really well.

Especially for another first timer like me & its gotta be better than shocking yourself all the time.

Wayne

• Like 1

I know it aint the same, but the grass powder ive been using has gone down really well.

Using micro crystal clear & water, spraying it on the wood base, sprinkling the grass powder onto it.

Then spraying some more on top of the grass & leaving it to dry for 24 hours, has worked really well.

Especially for another first timer like me & its gotta be better than shocking yourself all the time.

Wayne

I dunno, a good wallop of electrons gets the old ticker re-booted!

I shall see how it goes with the woodland scenic grass... otherwise it's money wasted!

Cheers. Badder.

So, I've purchased a shelf for use as the base for this diorama. It cost me less than 10 quid from The Range. Pretty sure its MDF with 'beach effect' laminate veneer. I wanted something three or four times as long as it was wide, and this, at 600 x 200mm is just about right.

I hope it doesn't warp or split after being mistreated!

Edited by Badder

I have a very rough idea of what it is I want to make... a bit of an 'obstacle course', one that the carrier is negotiating with 'aplomb'. (It's not often you read or hear that word unless it's to do with football!) I'm thinking that the carrier will be negotiating hedgerows, banks and ditches, a stream, puddles and maybe a stone wall. It won't be easy to depict the carriers rapid movement UNLESS I involve water, waves and splashes.

This is really going to stretch my modelling skills!

Badder

Edited by Badder

Looking forward to your work! :popcorn:

Funnily enough, so am I! Diorama making is my favourite bit to be honest. I hope to do something original with this one!

Badder.

First things first....

The base. Please note that the base is much longer than it appears in these photos.

With its laminate veneer, it doesn't provide much bite for the applications of polyfilla, so I had to roughen it up. This was easily and quickly done by slicing the veneer with a scalpel, first diagonally in one direction then diagonally in the other. This was followed by slicing it along the long axis and then across the width. The scalpel was held at shallow angle all the while so that it almost lifted the veneer. This helped to increase the bite.

I then added layers of Polyfilla, but left a channel across one end of the base where the stream or ditch will be.

921114DSC00548.jpg

587663DSC00549.jpg

I then covered the plaster with a rectangle of wire mesh, which I thought would not only provide a framework for a bank at the rear, but might also provide an excellent circuit for the forthcoming application of static grass.

719634DSC00550.jpg

A further thinnish layer of Polyfilla was laid over the ground, encasing the wire mesh, while the wire mesh along the rear edge of the base was bent up to form the framework for a bank.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

At the start would be cool because you can let your imagination run wild as to how the carrier will fare on the course!

That's true, BUT then I wouldn't have to model a smashed and trampled hedgerow, a knocked-down stone wall, churned-up grass and mud and splashes....and it's those things which will be a challenge.

Edited by Badder

Why shouldn't you? Wouldn't your carrier be one in a series of multiple attempts?

What I mean is having it towards the end of the obstacle course would be more of a challenge because I'd have to model all those obstacles in a damaged state... So I'd rather do THAT than have it just starting out on the course.

Or do you mean I should make 5 dioramas, each showing the carrier reaching a new obstacle? lol

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

Making a dry-stone wall which will run along the rear of the dio.

Here are the stones, made from Plasticard. Using a scalpel, I sliced long parallel grooves deep into the Plasticard then bent the 'card' back and forth until it snapped along the grooves. This gave me a dozen lengths of Plasticard which I snipped into stone-lengths with a pair of sharp scissors.

630447DSC00551.jpg

The next job was to make a backing on which the stones could be fixed. Again, I used Plasticard. Then the stones were glued into place one by one. I used medium Tamiya Poly as this gave me some freedom to move the stones about a bit and position them correctly before everything set.

Edited by Badder

HAHA!

I had to visit several shops yesterday, sourcing materials and odds and ends for making this diorama, and future ones.... and of course I got distracted by other products. There were some tools/brushes/paints etc that needed replacing/purchasing, plus varnish and the base, oh and a cheap toolbox to put all my tools/varnishes/pigments/glues in ... so all in all I visited 3 establishments, including my nearest model shop. Whilst in there, I was further distracted by a U.S Army Tank Crew kit...Tamiya 1/35th and HAD to buy that as well. An hour or so later and, I was staggered to find that my wallet was some 90 quid lighter!

This morning I spent 6 quid purchasing 2 scratch cards (consecutive) but forgot about them. I just scratched them off and both won. 25 quid on one and 20 quid on the other.

Nice.

Badder.

• Like 1

Still working on the carrier and have started on the figures. The carrier's front armour plate can't be fitted until the figures are fixed in their seats. I have weathered the carrier more, applying a gloss varnish to the lower half and washing with earth colours. The carrier is looking suitably wet. More mud will be added soon.

Unfortunately, one of the tracks snapped after an application of MIG Earth Wash. I'm not sure if the wash was the cause of the breakage or if it was just coincidence. However, on the upside I now have a length of loose track with which I can more easily make impressions in the mud.

Badder

Show us them pictures of your new stuff then!

Lol.... patience! The work on the carrier is ongoing and the latest update will be appearing in the relevant WiP very shortly. Oh, and the work on the crew figures has its own WiP way down the page in the 'Figures' forum.

Edited by Badder

Lol.... patience! The work on the carrier is ongoing and the latest update will be appearing in the relevant WiP very shortly. Oh, and the work on the crew figures has its own WiP way down the page in the 'Figures' forum.

Patience isn't one of my middle names! :P

• Like 1

Patience isn't one of my middle names! :P

:thumbsup: Patiently working on the 3 crewmen so I can get this carrier finished and the diorama started proper.

Badder.

• Like 1

Figure painting. Don't you just loathe it? If ONLY they made the whole range of AFV's and figures in 1/24th! I'd be prepared to pay twice the money, if anyone is listening....

Crewmen nearly done. Gawd I am rubbish at faces. How Chameleon2009 did those in the 'Sniper' diorama is beyond me. He said he used Plasticine as masking and airbrushed them. I've tried, but pfffft.... I wish he'd done a tutorial as requested.