Sanding between coats of paint

beetcleaner

I've seen different advice on how to do this but have never tried it. Should each layer of paint be sanded down before applying the next? ie on a Spitfire would it be primer,sand,dark earth,sand, dark green, final sand and then seal with a gloss coat?

Also what is the best material to do this with? I've read anything from a piece of old denim to Micromesh. I thought about trying this on my last model but didnt as the thought of possibly destroying the pristine coat of paint put me off.

It really depends on just how fussy you are about your paint work.

I very rarely sand between coats.

I only really only do it if there is dust or slight imperfections.

What to use depends on how vigorous you wish to sand.

A piece of denim on its own might be fine enough, or add some toothpaste on to it for a bit more grit.

Wet & Dry paper from 4000 grade to rougher 600 grade if you need to really remove an imperfection.

Micro mesh starts at about 1000 grade and goes to 40,000 [i think] for really fine finishing.

One item I use is a car painters prep pad, its a bit like a green pot scrubber but rougher.

If your paint job is near perfect then just a very mild rub over will give a key surface for the next coat of paint.

hth

• Like 1

I brush paint so I sand with Micromesh (8,000 and 12,000 grade) after every coat.

I use coarser wet and dry after the primer coat to try to get as smooth a base as possible, then I'm just trying to gently flatten out each coat before the next one and before varnishing.

As was said above, how much flattening and polishing you do depends on how much of a perfectionist you are- a bit like restoring cars, some are concourse standard, some are good '10 footers'; you pays your money...

• Like 1