Trickyrich’s Aviation Werks – 2015

trickyrich

Well it was a big year and a half for the production bench last year even though for the first half of the year I was away from home 3 weeks out of 4! I still managed to have my best year of models produced for sometime.

There were a number of firsts for me last year as well as finding myself a convert to acrylic paints.

Anyway the builds, they were all for GB’s other that one long term project that went way quicker than I had planned!

So here we go….I know it’s a bit late but I’ll sneak this in!

1/48th Messerschmitt Bf-110-G4 NightFighter (completed 26th January)

This was part of the Bf-110 STGB, which started the previous year. I could have chosen an easier subject as information for this particular aircraft was quite poor to say the least! The base model was an Eduard kit with lots of extras thrown in, thought a problematic build, it was still and enjoyable build!

DSCF2128_zpsz0guq2my.jpg

DSCF2136_zpskw3xh7xa.jpg

DSCF2135_zpscoyhkzo4.jpg

1/48th CAC CA-13 Boomerang (completed 28th March)

This was build as part of the “Lesser Built Air-Force GB” for which of cause I choose Australia and an indigenous designed and build aircraft. The base model was from Special Hobby, which needed lots and lots of work to correct. If it hadn’t been so expensive I would have built the Ally Cat version! Part of the cockpit and wheel wells required replacing and long with the engine. In the end I was really happy with the result and it was to be the start of many more WWII RAAF that I plan to build.

DSCF2249_zpsbnkhygca.jpg

DSCF2252_zps5qzws6fv.jpg

DSCF2254_zpsw0glpr7f.jpg

1/72nd Caprica Air Force Jet Viper (completed 28th June)

Again part of a GB, this time the “Sci Fi II GB”. This is not a subject matter that I normally build but I had seen this amazing resin model by Fantastic Plastic and I just had to have it. Plus with luck this GB came along as well so I had an excuse to build it. The only issue with the model was that the resin canopy was too small for the cockpit. The only way around was to VacForm a new canopy and while I was at it, completely rebuild the cockpit, plus do a few other mod’s to it as well. I just loved this model, it was such an enjoyable build, I just wish someone would do one in 1/48 or 1/32 scale!

DSCF2339_zpsv65p02un.jpg

DSCF2346_zpsdugbsjuh.jpg

DSCF2348_zpsfqpykfk8.jpg

1/48th RAAF F-4-1-LO Recon Lightning (completed 14th July)

Well this was for the P-38 Lightning GB and as well my first GB as a host. As usual I wanted to build something different and by chance I found out that the RAAF had three of them in service during the war. So I knew I had to build one of these rare and unique birds. The base model was from Academy with additional AM parts and decals from RedRoo. It was a really enjoyable build but unfortunately I couldn’t complete it in time for the GB.

DSCF2377_zpsp5i5da48.jpg

DSCF2380_zpscwanrook.jpg

DSCF2376_zps2wvnpbrp.jpg

Chomp Bot #5 (completed 30th August)

This was built as part of the “Non Injected Moulded GB” which again I was host for. I had planned to bring out something big, resin, and very exotic for this GB but time was an issue for me as I was still working those long shifts away from home. I am a big fan resin and some of the more exotic models to be found in that medium. I found this one on the Industria Mechanika site an new it was what I wanted to build. It was a very straightforward build with the addition of lighting…which was a first for me.

DSCF2716_zpsvpuzgrq7.jpg

1/72nd Martin B-51G Panther "Tropic Moon III" wt Pave Gat (completed 9th October)

This was for a GB I had been waiting for and was really excited about…”What If III”!!! I had now finished my crazy shift patterns and wanted to build something epic! By chance I had come across some amazing graphic work by an artist, Logan Hartke. One of the prints was of a highly modified Martin XB-51 in Vietnam SEA era colour scheme with modifications similar to the Martin B-57G Canberra. After contacting the artist a plan was hatched and the required bits obtained. The base model was an Anigrand XB-51, which was badly warped! I had an old B-57G model lying around which would donate its nose. Just about everything on the original model was either rebuilt or made from new, it was a epic build for sure! The result was more than I could ever hoped for…she looked amazing, so much so I even though about spending large amounts of money and building a 1/48th scale version!

DSCF2837_zpsfru6hfw7.jpg

DSCF2840_zpsv6pg610z.jpg

DSCF2843_zpskbsphfaj.jpg

1/48th Arado Ar-234 P5 (completed 8th November)

Ok this is the one non-GB build for the year. I had had a plan for this build for sometime and had mentioned it a few times in the WhatIf section. Well I had the chance to start this build when I finish may old shift pattern in the middle of the year…..I sort of got bored and wanted a long term project outside of GB’s (sort of like the He-177Z I did the pervious year). So armed with my drawings I assembled all the parts I would need. Model is from Hasegawa, their Ar-234 C, wings from Antares, and nose and turbo props from Unicraft (the bit from Antares and Unicraft were bought back in 2014..that’s how long this project was in the plans for). What put me off from starting this project much earlier was the condition of the parts from Unicraft, the moulds were quite old so the casts were very poor and warped, mostly unusable as is. So the nose ended up being custom made and the engine pods and intakes completely rebuilt. I have since recast these items and may use them for future projects or sell them. The build was very straightforward and simple in reality and the whole lot came together quite quickly. End result is something very unique but actually looks very believable in the Luft46 would. Oh and the wings were actually tested on V-16 and the engines were running in the Jumo factory and the radar was fitted a few Ju-88 G6’s.

DSCF2982_zpshy1tnsxn.jpg

DSCF2978_zpsgjdfy05j.jpg

DSCF2981_zpsxp9r561w.jpg

1/48th Meteor NF.13 (completed 21st November)

Again this one was for the Meteor GB and as usual I went for something a bit different. The thing with this one was the colour scheme, what I had thought to be a simple one ended up giving me the most issues, first with locating the required decals (I now have 4 rather large sets of Israeli decals!) then with the actual camouflage pattern. I based mine on the example current in the Israeli Air Force museum, but at some stage the pattern on this aircraft changed from the other NF.13’s! But all that aside it was a very nice and VERY quick build. The base model was from Classic Airframes with the only extras being new intakes from Barracuda.

DSCF1308_zpswa1hrdqa.jpg

DSCF1310_zpsei7a6ofg.jpg

DSCF1306_zpslp1qbcow.jpg

1/48th Northrop F-5A "Skoshi Tiger" (completed 12th December)

Ok this is the last build of the year, another GB and one that I’m hosting…still. At the start of this GB and even in the planning stages I wasn’t really excited about the F5 as an aircraft, it just seemed to simple. After completing this model I’ve fallen in love with this aircraft, it has such a clean curving lines, as well as being a very successful aircraft. The base model was from Wolfpack, which was a Kinetic model with some resin extras. While both models are considered to be the most accurate model of the F-5A, both leave a lot to be desired as far as the actual model goes. It did require quite a bit of unnecessary additional work to sort out basic issues. But the end result though is a very lovely model and one I’m very proud of, a quick build, as I had to get it finished before I went on holidays.

DSCF1377_zpscjd3ufts.jpg

DSCF1385_zpscy4vllzn.jpg

DSCF1388_zpswwaasoua.jpg

Well that is it, the production house was very busy last year and I’m very happy all the final products.

2016…….well there are plans for a couple of major builds this year, a 1/32nd scale beast will arrive plus I have two special projects currently under way….and there is always the possibility that the next even bigger He-177Z might make an appearance…or at least get started.

Thank you for looking.

• Like 11