Airfix Lightning F6 - 1/72

matt_w

Sooo.. This is my first work in progress. Im going to be building the Airfix Lightning F6. It will be pretty much out of the box and will be using the kit decals which are either for a silver 74 Sqn Jet or a grey 11 sqn jet . I'm leaning towards the 11Sqn markings as it now lives at Bruntingthorpe (I help with the Buccaneers there and will look to build most of the aircraft there eventually :D ) Although I do like the camo and would choose that if it was in the box. ( if anyone wants to swap decals....)

Any tips and pointers for minor adjustments are welcome as are comments if something doesn't look right. Feel free to add any images to help me out!

( I'm not good enough to go chopping large bits off and remoulding for chasing 110% accuracy but a bit of sanding and filling etc I'm ok with)

My building was on hold as I've run out of room, but a re- jig has found me a little bit of space, just right for the lightning

24463005365_ca3c53d0c0_c.jpg

Anyway onto the kit. In the box are 5 grey sprues, a clear sprue, decals and the instructions..

23836116223_719eeb83af_c.jpg

24380484091_00d94261de_c.jpg

So far Ive sprayed everything in plastic primer and should start on the cockpit tonight :yahoo:

Edited by matt_w
  • Like 3

I love the lightning and am only 30 odd miles away from Brunty and have this in the stash.

Spooky or what. Can't wait to see some progress.

That Vulcan looks good,not a scheme you see much on here.

Any chance of some more pictures of it ?

Tonights work was the cockpit. I used the reference images from here. I added some cushions to the top of the ejector seat with a bit of blu tac painted green. I'm not too happy with the paper belts, but I'm sure they will look ok when its sealed up! Decals went on easily enough.

All paints used are humbrol.

Sorry about the pictures , my phone was playing up and didn't want to focus!

24119628449_4d540594b1_c.jpg

24487386155_f4892f42dd_c.jpg

24404980311_3ea80b8f42_c.jpg

Darth Vader here's the Vulcan : http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234954811-172-airfix-vulcan-b-mk2/?hl=xh536. I love bruntingthorpe, even better, XV582 Black Mike has just been saved and will be moved there, I cant wait to get up close to a phantom!

So I completed the intake section today...

Nose painted Humbrol 116 with some bronze and silver mixed in. The intake internals are silver.

24283383460_126f3aff3f_c.jpg

..Along with the rear assembly of the engines. Nice bit of detail tucked away, shame it wont be seen. This plate had to be sanded down for a snug fit.

24470929082_81285c8fe8_c.jpg

The completed noisy end! If you have never felt a lightning on reheat, Head up to Bruntingthorpe on the 29th May for the Open day where the lightning preservation group, subject to serviceability will do fast taxi runs. It will shake the bones as it passes with both candles lit!! The Buccaneers will also be running along with plenty of other aircraft

24212037749_303bb4a907_c.jpg

Once the front and rear sections were completed, they get sealed inside. The two sections fit together ok. I had to sand the rear jet assembly as the cans stuck out too far. The nose didn't want to join without being wrapped up with tape, but I think it may have been me adding too much glue. Finally, the instrument panel needed to be pushed back from its upright position to meet with the top panel as there was a gap of a few mm!.

24285552580_c0f3de1e1a_c.jpg

No major problems so far, although ive not taken the tape off!

Edited by matt_w
  • Like 3

Good going so far. You've already encountered 2 of the problems with the kit, namely that the nose and jet pipe assemblies won't seat properly unless some action is taken. I went about the fix slightly differently, rather than sand down the parts that fit inside I cut off the raised parts that they butt up against on the inside of the fuselage halves, same result.

Another thing to watch out for is the fit of the airbrakes in the closed position, basically they don't as they are too small and fall into the cut out. As you've already closed up the fuselage you'll have to put spacers in the cut outs or on the back of the airbrake parts to get them to sit level with the rest of the fuselage and then fill around them.

I hope that helps.

Duncan B

Thanks for the heads up Duncan. I may open it back up and re adjust the nose & tail if Im not too happy, so may deal with the airbrakes then :thumbsup2:

I

• Like 1

If you haven't glued the fuselage halves together the easiest way to deal with the airbrakes is to drill a hole through the recess for the airbrake in the fuselage and attach a piece of sprue or rod to the inside of the actual airbrake so that you can adjust the position of it and glue the rod in place. I haven't done this method as I'd closed mine up before I read that tip so had to shim the airbrake instead.

I found that the fit of the flaps to the wing and between the wing and fuselage was another area where adjustments were needed, IIRC I added a sliver of plasticard to the inboard end of one flap and had to sand the other. Dry fitting will show you if there are any issues anyway.

Duncan B

• Like 1

With a good join between the two halfs Ive left it sealed up.

I Fitted the belly (gun) panels tonight, another part which was knocked out by the fit of the cockpit as they sit a pit proud of the fusilage. I also glued the wing sections together and found the trailing edge isnt that snug a fit.. looks like tomorrow will be filling and sanding.And thats before I have got to the flaps!

I was expecting this to fly together being a new tool, but that would be boring right?

Edited by matt_w
  • Like 1

Just a little more done tonight with the wings added.

First some of last nights bits, the belly section that didn't fit too well. Its a bit messy.

24544540702_0c0be41e7c_c.jpg

The panel (gun pod) sat nice on the starboard side, but the port side front was raised a little more. The panel is made of two halfs (why it isn't in one piece I don't know...) so the corner isn't flush.

24626695066_d08b9b1854_c.jpg

Tonight the wings went on. Simple enough, even the flaps fitted well. I'm having them up (and the airbrakes will be closed)

24544553032_2f08c06347_c.jpg

24570742931_6b847e1b81_c.jpg

​And that's it for now..

.... although I have just noticed I have forgotten to drill the holes and put the refuelling probe on... bugger

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not much more done recently.. A few panels fitted to the nose. The earlier problem I had with the "poor" fitting cockpit and instrument panel was solved with a further piece that sits over the top of the gap ( that will teach me not to read the instructions fully!)

24252357304_8c6d642ce5_c.jpg

^^ Forward missile rack also fitted. (and yes, Ill clean the filler up)

Airbrakes, tail hook and lower fins added

24252357104_cf0152cc27_c.jpg

24762605912_bed61ecc7c_c.jpg

Next up to tidy up all the joins and do a bit of masking before I start painting. Ill fit the undercarriage, fuel tanks and pointy bits afterwards.

• Like 1

Hi Widow.

Its just a very fine dusting of plastic primer that I applied to the sprues before I start.

Its real good stuff and is called Plastikote. Hardly any needs to be put on, but the paint sticks to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of paint this evening.

Top Surface - Dark Sea Grey, Lower Surface, Medium sea grey.

]25000146241_b229f7e779_c.jpg

25093482465_503121ffef_c.jpg

Underside of wings is Barley Grey

]24462811754_87f72d7fe7_c.jpg

Not too happy with the join down the middle :(

No Pre shading and there will be very little post shading/weathering as this jet is kept spotless!

Edited by matt_w
  • Like 1

Looks good! Nice bit of fettling for fit - this should look smart when it's finished.

I love bruntingthorpe, even better, XV582 Black Mike has just been saved and will be moved there, I cant wait to get up close to a phantom!

:bounce: That is seriously exciting! :D I'm envious of your work with the Buccaneers too - I live pretty close to Brunty and went there for one of the blow-your-head-off-noisy days last year.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...