Uncle Navy Bird's Complete Waste of Time 2015

Navy Bird

Hi mates,

Even though I guaranteed I would do better in 2015 than I did in 2014, I ended up with only four models completed in 2015. So much for my guarantee! Unfortunately, reality struck once again as I not only moved into the second phase of my cancer treatments, but my wife had four surgeries on her right eye. Thanks to God and Western Medical Science, I killed a lot of cancer cells and my wife's vision was saved. I think these two results, even though they took away from my time at the workbench, are the most important results from 2015!    :)

I retired on June 5, 2015, with the hope that I would be able to spend more time with my hobbies. That didn't happen, and not just because of the medical issues. I found out that playing with the grandchildren is a lot of fun! My oldest even built her first Airfix kit this past year, with very little help from me.

If things can settle down on the medical front, perhaps 2016 will find more than four new models in the Navy Bird display case. But if not, as long as I'm still on this side of the grass and able to enjoy the family, so be it!

So on with the four completions from 2015:

1:72 Brewster B-339E Buffalo Mk.I (completed in February 2015)

Special Hobby

This is essentially an out-of-the-box build, but that's because Special Hobby provides a beautiful set of resin detail parts so you really don't need much aftermarket. The only parts that weren't in the kit are the photoetch seat harnesses, photoetch landing lights, aerial wire, and a vacuform sliding canopy. Gotta love the tubby little gal...even though the kit had the "mother of all gaps."

The link above will take you to the RFI page where you can see all the improvements and corrections that were made.

100_5511

100_5526

100_5513

100_5522

1:72 Vought F-8J Crusader (completed in April 2015)

Academy

The Crusader has always fascinated me, since it's such a dichotomy. Winner of many aerospace awards for technical achievement, yet a very dangerous aircraft to fly based on its accident record. Known affectionately as the "Last of the Gunfighters," yet it achieved the overwhelming majority of its combat kills with missiles. Nonetheless, it looks the part - it's menacing yet graceful, both important attributes of a fighter jet. In its day, many Naval Aviators preferred the Crusader to the Phantom II, and that says a lot.

Follow the link above and you can see what improvements and corrections were made.

100_5684

100_5677

100_5708

(Yup, the strange alignment of the 'winders on the launch rails above is accurate.)

100_5704

1:72 McDonnell Douglas F-4S Phantom II (completed in July 2015)

Hasegawa

I have a confession to make. I hate grey jets. Really. But I like pointy planes that go fast. What to do? Find colourful prototype, retirement or anniversary schemes and just say no to low viz! So that's what I did. I built this for the F-4 Single Type Group Build here on Britmodeller, and I don't think I have to tell anyone about the history of the Phantom.

The link above will take you to the RFI page, where you can see the improvements and corrections that were made.

100_6552

100_6557

100_6554

100_6570

And a family portrait with an F-4EJ Kai from a previous Britmodeller Group Build...

100_6629

1:72 Fairey Firefly FR.I (completed in mid-January 2016 - but started in August 2015, so I think it belongs here!)

Special Hobby

This early mark of the Firefly is part of a dual build that I started last summer. In addition to the FR.I, there is a TT.4 but it isn't quite finished yet. I started them both at the same time, but the TT.4 is taking longer since I decided to fold the wings, which required a lot of scratchbuilding. I expect it will be done by the end of January 2016, so I guess it will take its place in next year's Complete Waste of Time.

The FR.I is essentially an out of the box build, but nicely detailed thanks to the resin and photoetch components included in the kit.

100_6919

100_6914

100_6937

100_6906

(Yes, the ASH radar pod should be pointing down like that. It angled slightly downward so the radar could clear the prop arc.)

Well, that's my pathetic output for 2015. Maybe if I finish the Firefly TT.4 in the next couple of days I'll add it to this group. After all, five months of work was expended in 2015 on both of the Fireflies. We'll see how it goes.

I wish I could show some pictures of cancer cells being terminated with extreme prejudice, but I haven't found any yet. Rest assured that's one hobby I really enjoyed doing in 2015! :):):)

Cheers,

Bill

Edited by Navy Bird
Photobucket Eradication
  • Like 30

Those jets are beautifully done. I remember the F-4 from the groupbuild, but that's the first time I've seen the F-8. It's one of the best Crusaders I've ever seen. Great work.

Al

• Like 1

Such lovely and high quality work Bill. It is far from pathetic! ( it's also twice as much as mine!)

I hope 2016 continues to be a year improvement for yours and your dear lady's health. With many more years of playing with grand kids and making models.

Regards

Darren

• Like 1

Great builds as always Bill, each backed with a tutorial disguised as a wip! I've probably pinched more ideas & techniques from your builds than from anywhere. And I now know what wall paste is!

Hope your health, and that of your good lady, continues to improve.

Here's to a happy and healthy 2016.

Edge

• Like 2

HI Bill. Superior modelling skills on display there - even though it's only on four - they are of such high quality! :worthy::worthy::worthy:

Hope you and your wife have a happy and healthy 2016!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate your comments and the very kind words. I think 2016 will be a big improvement over 2015, particularly on the medical side of things, but also with the modelling. The Firefly TT.4 is nearing completion (just finishing the painting on the outer wings, gear doors, etc.) and I'm looking forward to that. I've been working on the Fireflies since last August, and whenever I work on anything that long I get really anxious to start the next project.

My next project will be a resin kit of a prototype aircraft that only flew for 43 hours before being destroyed in a landing accident. No other examples of the aircraft were built as the project was cancelled. The build will be a bit out of the ordinary for me, as I haven't sprayed this colour combination in well over two decades. I hope the paint bottles aren't dried up! :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

Here's to a happy and healthy 2016 Bill. The number of builds don't matter at all, as long as you have one going at all times for us to follow. I've enjoyed your build threads greatly, and always learn a lot along the way.

Can't say it better than Cookie did, on all counts! (nothing wrong with doing four kits per year, anyway - that's my average! :winkgrin: )

Ciao

• Like 1

Hello !

I discovered this topic through giemme F-4 J thread, and I was telling myself : what a sense of humour and an interesting pseudonym ! Let's go and see what the guy builds !

And to be honest I really like your birds ( especially the cruze ), congrats to you ! :thumbsup:

I wish you and your wife all the best for 2016 with HEALTH on top !

One last word : my average is 0.5 model a year ! ( and 1/48 only ! )

• Like 1

• 1 month later...