Argentine vehicles 1982?

Killingholme

Hi all,

I'm finishing up an Argentinian C-130 at the moment and I want to put some vehicles in the hold (mainly to mask the bare Academy kit interior)

Does anyone know of any air-liftable vehicles used by the Argentine army during the Falklands/Malvinas conflict which could plausibly lifted by a C-130? I assume some sort of jeep must have been used, but I can't find any photos. Were any vehicles actually brought in by C-130 or did it all come by sea?

Second question- do any of the aforementioned vehicles exist as 1/72 kits?

Will

Hello.

I served in the 82 Falklands War and on the first day into Port Stanley they had some old Mercedes 4x4 Jeeps sprayed in a sand and green stripe from memory that we used for the remainder of our stay until posted back to the UK. There were also some abandoned large armoured cars (Panhard?) which I assume did not exceeed any weight limits for C-130 as otherwise, I am unsure how they would have got them there from the mainland?

1/72 kits - no idea on that one but others may be able to help out.

Gary

Edited by redcap
  • Like 2

Thanks guys, especially good to know from someone who was there.

I have also just found a list of the equipment handed over at surrender, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentine_surrender_in_the_Falklands_War

Sadly, as far as I can tell the only vaguely appropriate 1/72 kit is a resin Peugeot P4 version by Azimut- expensive!!

Will

Edited by Killingholme

Hi

Ace kits of Ukraine do Panhards in 1/72 scale.

I think they do several types, but I don`t know if this allows builds of the type left on the Falklands (They look similar but I haven`t studied the subject too closely).

HTH

Cheers, Ian

Edited by ian buick

There were also some abandoned large armoured cars (Panhard?) which I assume did not exceeed any weight limits for C-130 as otherwise, I am unsure how they would have got them there from the mainland?

You're right Gary, AML-60 (mortar) or 90 (gun) can be loaded onto a Transall, so absolutely no problems for the Hercules.

Ace have it in its range, and they're also available in resin with some other brands.

The Panhard AML-90 is the only vehicle from that list that's been kitted in 1/72 injection plastic AFAIK and as has been pointed out, the ACE kit is long out of production (and sells at something of a premium on eBay when it does turn up). :confused:

Wespe do a 1/72 resin Unimog: http://www.tracks-n-troops.eu/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_1&products_id=8426

That's all I can find.

• 2 months later...

S and S models from Burnham on sea do a 20 mm scale Mercedes G Wagen ligh 4 x 4. It is intended for wargamers but I (with v limited modelling skills) managed to make a not too bad representation of a German vehicle.

Their cutomer service i also second to none. Speak with Shaun he is v helpful.

Regards

M - M

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Panhard AML-90 is the only vehicle from that list that's been kitted in 1/72 injection plastic AFAIK and as has been pointed out, the ACE kit is long out of production (and sells at something of a premium on eBay when it does turn up). :confused:

Wespe do a 1/72 resin Unimog: http://www.tracks-n-troops.eu/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_1&products_id=8426

That's all I can find.

Hi there

:look for these

1-72-Panhard-AML-90-AML-245-MMI-R068_b_0

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Would love to see some kind of diorama around the Falklands- although there was never any direct armoured combat, there's an interesting variety of vehicles on the two sides ranging from Panhards on their side to Scorpions/Scimitars on ours, which did actually see combat in the fire support role.