Airfix 1:72 Sabre double build.

Sabre F86-E & F.4.

Airfix 1:72.

sabre10_zpsfnukqld6.jpg

Sometimes I like to remember what it was like to be a kid. Cycle off to the local newsagents once a week, pocket money in hand to see what Airfix kits they had in stock. Spend ages choosing one, and then cycle back home to start the weekend build.

It was hugley enjoyable, and sometimes I think we forget this. So now and then if I am in a modell shop I like to just select something off the shelf, take it home and build it out of the box for the pure fun of it. putting in th pilots as well. I like Sabres, so this one came home with me, closely followed by the RAF F.4 because I liked it so much.

I couldn't quite build it 'out of the box' once I read about the corrections discussed here so I moved the wing fences & underwing tanks inboard. Also the Airfix wheels are a bit naff, and as I had an abandoned Heller Sabre build, the USAF model got those. I might get some resin ones for the RAF machine at some point.

sabre26_zps5nbail5d.jpg

Oh, and I sanded the too low canopy frame off and polished it up, masking & painting it higher. And as I like to see the aircraft as a purer shape without the undercarriage doors hanging down, mine are crewed with the engine running and hydraulic pressure to pull them all shut.
But now on with the photos!

sabre11_zpss1hmk1ht.jpg

sabre12_zpsz1w8o93f.jpg

sabre13_zpsg1c4rzue.jpg

sabre14_zpsnlo6fdb2.jpg

sabre17_zpss1kjzkui.jpg

sabre15_zpsyy1gvssj.jpg

And the RAF F4, a different boxing of the same kit but with new decals;

sabre24_zpsx6af3oq6.jpg

sabre18_zpsobjjtvk0.jpg

sabre23_zpspmk0qmgk.jpg

sabre25_zps5wryqv0i.jpg

sabre23_zpspmk0qmgk.jpg

sabre19_zps3obuj9wo.jpg

sabre20_zpsyscixhcp.jpg

I bought some of the new Vallejo 'Metal Colour' airbrush acrylic paints at the same time. They are fantastic. I applied Halfords grey firts, followed by Tamiya Acrylic black X-1 as a base, then these.

nmf1_zpsnkvqjr8j.jpg.

They are very like Citadel paints and are tough, hard wearing and masking tape does not affect them at all. No pullung up of the paint whne you de-mask. I am impressed and although they are not cheap I will be using them again.

nmf7_zpslsgqffwg.jpg

Thanks for looking,

John

• Like 28

Lovely pair of Sabres. I've got one of the F-86/Mig-15 Special Edition boxing that I ought to start. Ironically one of the reasons I bought it originally was in order to try those new Vallejo Metal Color paints out. I've tried them on a couple of others, most recently this weekend on an Airfix Fury. Great paints, easy to apply and as noted, very durable.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments chaps. Those Vallejo paints have impressed me, so in the model shop last Saturday an Airfix 1:72 Mustang found it's way home with me, to be the next 'fun' build.

John