1/32nd scale Avro Shackleton - scratchbuild project

This is looking good so far Tom. A classic example thinking, planning and doing. Given your timescale so far, I'd still be at the thinking stage!

Just a thought though, imagine if you had gone for the MR3 version; that would probably mean a quick trip up onto the local church roof to be able to stop her being a tail sitter.

Seriously though, it's fantastic progress.

Your next project? Either a Handley Page Heracles or a Victor would be nice.

• Like 1

P38 doesn't seem to be available here in the Colonies (at least I couldn't find it in a 30 second internet search) - I wonder if one of the Bondo products is equivalent?

Cheers,

Bill

Yes I've never seen it in Australia. P38 is a polyester resin based car body filler, it contains very fine particles and is excellent for filling plastic, wood and metals. Used gallons of the stuff when I was a professional model maker. Not really looked at the Bondo products here to see what might be an equivalent.

Steve

• Like 1

This is looking good so far Tom. A classic example thinking, planning and doing. Given your timescale so far, I'd still be at the thinking stage!

Just a thought though, imagine if you had gone for the MR3 version; that would probably mean a quick trip up onto the local church roof to be able to stop her being a tail sitter.

Seriously though, it's fantastic progress.

Your next project? Either a Handley Page Heracles or a Victor would be nice.

Yes indeed you're right, it'd need a huge amount of lead if I did an MR3... and that's one of the reasons I didn't go for that option.

If I was a master in brass I'd be more confident in tackling making a landing gear strong enough to support its weight, but I'm not so have chickened out! The more conventional tail dragger gear of the MR2 should be far simpler...

Your suggestion of a Heracles would indeed be quite a project. I have a vague recollection of seeing a large scale one done once at one of the Nationals - did Alan Clark ever do one?

Curious to know what solvent you are using with the polystyrene sheets? I always used to use Chloroform which you could buy from any chemist, but these days!!!!

Steve

Hi Steve,

I use ordinary Revell Contacta as a glue - it melts the plastics together really effectively and creates a really good strong join. If I need it to dry more quickly, I quite often mix it with some CA glue which means the join dries quickly, but has the added bonus of the Contacta to reinforce the join.

I have some Revell Contacta, but find it is too viscous for capillary work, where as Chloroform flashes around a join in an instant, and bonds very quickly indeed. Dose anybody have some suggestions? I am seeking out supplies of Chloroform, but an alternative would be nice.

I notice here that some plastics companies are recommending Weld on 3 as a Chloroform alternative?

Cheers

Steve

Edited by bradleygolding

I have some Revell Contacta, but find it is too viscous for capillary work, where as Chloroform flashes around a join in an instant, and bonds very quickly indeed. Dose anybody have some suggestions? I am seeking out supplies of Chloroform, but an alternative would be nice.

I notice here that some plastics companies are recommending Weld on 3 as a Chloroform alternative?

Cheers

Steve

To be completely honest, my method consists of applying loads of glue and allowing science to do the rest. It works most of the time..!

Can't help with your query I'm afraid - maybe someone else can shed some light.

I've had a good session outside in the spring sunshine today getting the filling around the wing roots and leading and trailing edges done. A mammoth sanding session followed, and tomorrow I'm hoping to get a squirt of primer on to see how my handy work has shaped up.

Update to follow in the next day or two...

• Like 1

I'm enjoying using Tamiya Extra Thin cement these days, it wicks in deep very nicely and gets in better than Contacta

Still use Contacta or Humbrol Poly Cement (because I have several of those small tubes from the Starter Airfix kits to use up) for normal 'sticking kit parts in place' though

thinks: Must remember to actually make those Starter Kits...

Cheers

Steve

Bradley, I'm pretty sure you have to hold a license to have Chloroform, EMA Plastic Weld will do the job just as good. I did have some Chloroform until I used it all, but where I got it from I'm no longer in contact with them.

Dose indeed. Very funny.

I will look at the Tamiya Extra Thin, Weld On 3 and the EMA product if I can get some and let people know what I think.

Cheers

Steve

PS: The Shackleton does look good, waiting for the next picks.

Edited by bradleygolding

A quick update for you...

I've been working on getting the wing centre-section fared into to the fuselage which, surprise surprise, involves plenty of filler. I actually apply more than is needed, but this makes the whole process of blending everything in that much simpler, giving a smooth transaction between the parts. P38 sands very easily so it's no hardship:

26196361065_b6938742ac_c.jpg

26103905312_ebb1de87c7_c.jpg

Tools of the trade: an old patio table at the bottom of the garden, lots of sand paper of varying grades, water to keep dust to a minimum, a wooden block to avoid creating bumps and troughs whilst sanding, face mask and of course the model itself. It's essential to sand outside as the dust gets everywhere, and my dearly beloved tends to get excited if I do it indoors, especially if she's just done the dusting :D

26196360185_38a705e322_c.jpg

And the result - as you can see with some careful sanding and the use of fine finishing paper and micromesh you can get a beautifully smooth result which is ready for priming:

25591611554_b1b2a65b99_c.jpg

Hopefully I can get a shot of primer on tomorrow...

Until next time,

Tom

• Like 11

Tell you what, I need an old patio table! Not touched the Mars for a bit as it needs sanding and the weather has been crap... Could perch one up in the shed!

Looking as good as ever Tom! :)

Tell you what, I need an old patio table! Not touched the Mars for a bit as it needs sanding and the weather has been crap... Could perch one up in the shed!

Looking as good as ever Tom! :)

The old table takes a beating to be honest - there's various colours splattered all over it from spraying as well as blobs of filler and the like... poor thing.

Unfortunately our garden shed is small and full of junk so I'm at the mercy of the weather, but on some occasions it's quite good to sand in the rain as it helps keep the dust to minimum :rolleyes:

I'll look forward to seeing an update on the Mars... was wondering how things were progressing with it. It's about time we had an update on the big Savage, too ;);)

• Like 1

Our shed isn't one to stand in, but I could sit in there sanding away, might have to sort that out...

Savage I haven't touched, it's just one big fuselage at the moment but I've no where to use resin etc. Mars is looking good though, it'll be at Telford but not sure what state... all together would be nice in either primer or just bare plastic. Big thing isn't it...

• Like 1

Our shed isn't one to stand in, but I could sit in there sanding away, might have to sort that out...

Savage I haven't touched, it's just one big fuselage at the moment but I've no where to use resin etc. Mars is looking good though, it'll be at Telford but not sure what state... all together would be nice in either primer or just bare plastic. Big thing isn't it...

I'll look forward to seeing it... just be careful not to sand straight through the plastic - it's like fag paper!

I believe it's thinner :lol: No photos (not sure why I never took any..) but I padded out the inside by sticking plastic sheets to the inside to make it thicker :) When you see it, you'll be able to tell by pressing the plastic..

Edited by Radleigh

Having seen the size of your some of your projects, if sanding dust is all your good lady complains about, you've got a good 'un!

Ian

• Like 1

Having seen the size of your some of your projects, if sanding dust is all your good lady complains about, you've got a good 'un!

Ian

Yes, she's very understanding - just lets me get on with really. As long as the main areas of the house don't get cluttered with my modelling stuff she doesn't bat an eyelid. I'm very lucky.

Have shot some primer on the centre-section this afternoon - has come out well on the whole:

26187206866_87cea9bcd4_c.jpg

26120658022_cb52a80795_c.jpg

25610462953_d857a454e0_c.jpg

Just need to give it a good polish with some micromesh now - I always allow the paint to harden for a good 24hrs first though.

Tom

• Like 11

When I see some project like this come together, I'm always reminded of something one of the characters in the movie, Flight of the Phoenix (one of my favourite movies), says when the 'Phoenix' is being built; 'You know Frank, it's really starting to look like something.'.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

When I see some project like this come together, I'm always reminded of something one of the characters in the movie, Flight of the Phoenix (one of my favourite movies), says when the 'Phoenix' is being built; 'You know Frank, it's really starting to look like something.'.

Regards,

Jason

Cheers, Jason - it's certainly come a long way over the last few weeks and I've built up a fair bit of momentum; long may it continue!

I may have a go at the inboard nacelles next, but I also want to have a play with the stabilisers, too. Decisions, decisions...

• Like 1

Tom, I would think the horizontal stabilisers would be fairly easy, as I believe the width was the same (from end to end; from front to back they were wider on the Shackleton, of course). I also believe the elevators were almost identical between the Lancaster/Lincoln and the Shackletons.

Regards,

Jason

It's taking shape rather quickly too. Stunning scratch work Tom :)

Cheers, Neil. Thanks for stopping by.

Tom, I would think the horizontal stabilisers would be fairly easy, as I believe the width was the same (from end to end; from front to back they were wider on the Shackleton, of course). I also believe the elevators were almost identical between the Lancaster/Lincoln and the Shackletons.

Regards,

Jason

You're quite right, Jason. Span was exactly the same, but there is an increase in chord. Elevators were Lancaster/Lincoln units transferred straight to the Shackleton. With the Lancaster parts I have, they shouldn't be a problem.

I do need to chop off the extreme tail to add some internal detailing first though, and I'm hoping it'll be strong enough to withstand being cut - it's only made from plastic card panels, but I suppose if I don't get on with it I'll never know...

Tom

I wish I was fighting fit at the moment, you are seriously making me want to get that Mars done but I can't now for a bit. Looking forward to seeing this at MK if I can get there... Car offically broke today on route to Cosford (...got there though :) ).

• Like 1