1/32nd scale Avro Shackleton - scratchbuild project

Great Stuff.

What we also need is a 1/32 Albert.

Just sayin'.

I have the 1/48th version buried deep in the stash somewhere and that's big enough - 1/32nd scale would need some industrial sized drain pipe for the fuselage!

Tom, can I ask what brand of filler/primer you use for your finishing please?

It's Halford's filler primer - goes on like treacle but dries and shrinks back nicely, and fills in any small crevices and the like. Would be no good on normal injection moulded kits with fine panel lines as would fill them in, but is ideal for projects such as this. When it's dry it can be gently sanded back and makes a lovely smooth surface for the next layer of paint. It takes a scriber nicely, too!

Tom

What we also need is a 1/32 Albert.

If only we had a real Albert expert around here; the Queen of Albert Square. Oh, but wait! We do.

Over to you. (If you scratch an Albert I promise I'll scratch a Sea King 6).

I could yet live to regret this...

Tom - looking great already; your usual neat, logical, clean build. I am in awe.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 3

Over to you. (If you scratch an Albert I promise I'll scratch a Sea King 6).

I might just hold you to that Crisp! ;)

Ponders scratchbuilding a 1/32 Albert... :hmmm:

Though if you ever refer to me as Pat Butcher, Dot Cotton, or Peggy Mitchell I shall find out where you live and let your tyres down!

• Like 2

Lovely work Tom. :clap2: You're a scratch-building dynamo, and I don't know where you find the time! :o

Being a Teacher has got to help..... that & I reckon Tom is 110% dedicated, something I lack sometimes which is stupid as I have quite a bit of spare time myself in the evenings.

• Like 1

I wonder if Crisp has started drawing up his plans yet? :winkgrin:

I have no surprise at all that Tom is getting on so well with the mighty Shack, the man is a legend

Unlike most 'legends' he just IS

I intend to use the Halford's prime myself if I ever 'do' more scratch work, that is a ground breaking find

• Like 1

Lovely work Tom. :clap2: You're a scratch-building dynamo, and I don't know where you find the time! :o

Many thanks, Mike. I have a very understanding wife who just lets me get on with it - however we have our first child due any day now so things may well change soon. I imagine bench time will be limited for a while with a new born to attend to!

Just caught up with this Tom, stunning sir, absolutely stunning!!!

Many thanks. It's still very early days yet, but it's progressing to plan so far.

Being a Teacher has got to help..... that & I reckon Tom is 110% dedicated, something I lack sometimes which is stupid as I have quite a bit of spare time myself in the evenings.

It certainly helps with the extra time during school holidays!

I always have a few projects on the go at any one time to be fair - that way when boredom sets in I put it down for a while and pick up something else. When the urge to return comes back, I pick up the project again and get cracking. I fact, I've been tinkering with the 1/24th Phantom a bit recently; not huge progress but I hadn't worked on it for a while and fancied a change from the Shackelton.

I intend to use the Halford's prime myself if I ever 'do' more scratch work, that is a ground breaking find

It's great stuff and certainly saves a lot of additional surface prep, that's for sure!

Plans would be my biggest problem, I think! Well, the first one, anyway...

If you can source some decent 1/72nd or 1/48th plans it's just a case of enlarging them. I have a printer/scanner at work that I use and once you've got the enlargement ratio, it's a piece of cake. If I can lend a hand, let me know!

Tom

• Like 1

Plans would be my biggest problem, I think! Well, the first one, anyway...

See if you can get hold of an old Seaking topic 6 (repair manual), it had all the frame layouts and shapes, just need to make them the correct size. I did once photocopy a lot of the relevant bits (for use as a 'study' reference!) but alas I think they went through recycling a few years ago

Why do I feel a sense of impending doom as my throw-away challenge to Debs gathers a life of it's own?

To butcher a quote from Vic Reeves "We won't let it lie!"

• Like 2

- however we have our first child due any day now so things may well change soon. I imagine bench time will be limited for a while with a new born to attend to!

<snip>

Tom

So you think that things may change soon? Ha, that's funny. Speaking as someone who helped raise three kids, and is now helping with four grandkids, I can absolutely guarantee that things will change. I took a decade off from modelling to help raise my kids - I hope that isn't what you do, as I cannot possibly wait that long to see this Shack finished! :):):)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. I was lucky to have a wife who knew how to raise good kids - we ended up with two medical professionals and a spy (NSA). None of them like styrene, though.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Evening all.

Time at the bench has been a little limited over the last couple of weeks due to the birth of my daughter Imogen, but I've nevertheless managed to sneak a little building in when the little 'un was snoozing...

I've been working on the skinning of the fuselage centre-section since the last update and using the Lancaster fuselage sides have made good progress. If you recall from earlier in the thread, I'd got as far as marking and cutting out the main panels from the Lancaster:

23954981673_7f89b8b107_c.jpg

These were then sprayed black to stop the interior looking hollow, and then glued to the skeletal bulkhead structure with poly cement for a very strong join. With the Shackleton having a wider fuselage than the Lancaster I added a strip of plastic card along the upper and lower joins to cover the resulting gap, and then blended the whole thing in with my trusty P38 car body filler. After the fist session with the wet and dry we are here:

25255332926_f4a4eab85c_c.jpg

25255332516_f5a1d104e2_c.jpg

25163339752_049cb28a17_c.jpg

This will now get a thorough coating of Halfords' Filler Primer to see how it all looks - I can see that there's a blemish or two to attend to, but with the fuselage all being one uniform colour it'll give a good indication of how it's shaping up.

Until next time,

Tom

• Like 10