1/32nd scale Avro Shackleton - scratchbuild project

We always knew this would be stunning when you finish her, but wow, a while to go and there she lies magnificent and proud

I'm glad you got back into this

I have really missed it, nice one Tom

(Glad you had time for a drop of nectar too of course)

:thumbsup2:

How the hell did I miss this!? What a stupendous achievement!

This is the sort of model building I most admire and most aspire to. Reading through this post has been both very entertaining and extremely informative, so thanks and keep up the amazing work.

My admiration is unbounded. 

Seeing it on your workbench and next next to the grown ups Ribena bottle gives a sense of the scale of the model.

Onwards and upwards!

Trevor 

• Like 2

Its not very often I see a project bigger than the workbench but what can I say:wow:

Anyhow I had a surprise gift of sort the other day although it rarer and of a similar age to the Shack.

A posting that could be of interest...:yikes:

• Like 1

Might i say WHHHAAATTTT !!!!!!

This is completely beyond comprehension & mind blowing. So do you have a hanger to store this beautiful piece of art ? I can only dream about having skills like this. Cant wait to see this fully painted And detailed. 

• Like 1

Wonderful to see this one back, and congrats on reaching that milestone. It is, as you say, all downhill from here...and the fun part too!

Ian

On 7/20/2017 at 4:22 PM, Spookytooth said:

What ca I say Tom.

Stunning, and the size of her  too.

I take it that you get industrial cans of filler LOL.

Simon.

Thanks, Simon. In regard to filler, I'm on to my third tub of P38 so far - and hopefully with the main construction work now done it'll see me to the end of the project.

On 7/20/2017 at 4:55 PM, perdu said:

We always knew this would be stunning when you finish her, but wow, a while to go and there she lies magnificent and proud

I'm glad you got back into this

I have really missed it, nice one Tom

(Glad you had time for a drop of nectar too of course)

:thumbsup2:

A glass or many of something reasonably alcoholic is most definitely required to get one through a project like this!

On 7/20/2017 at 5:53 PM, Gorby said:

How the hell did I miss this!? What a stupendous achievement!

This is the sort of model building I most admire and most aspire to. Reading through this post has been both very entertaining and extremely informative, so thanks and keep up the amazing work.

Thanks for stopping by, Gorby.

I'm glad you've found my trials and tribulations entertaining thus far!

On 7/20/2017 at 6:21 PM, Learstang said:

Tom, it's great to see your brilliantly mad project come so far! She is a bit large, isn't she?

Best Regards,

Jason

She's pretty large, Jason. Not quite as big as the 1/32nd B-29, but not far off. I've just taken delivery of a 1/48th B-52H and even that is slightly smaller across the wings than this!

On 7/20/2017 at 6:33 PM, woody37 said:

Wow, it's progressing quite quickly now Tom, fantastic :)

Cheers, Neil. It might seem quick to you, but I feel like I've been working on this forever!

On 7/20/2017 at 7:23 PM, Max Headroom said:

My admiration is unbounded. 

Seeing it on your workbench and next next to the grown ups Ribena bottle gives a sense of the scale of the model.

Onwards and upwards!

Trevor 

The trouble is, Trevor, my work bench is not big enough. I've applied for a larger one with she who must be obeyed, but permission has so far been denied :(

19 hours ago, Radleigh said:

Brilliant mate, should be done and dusted for the Nats??? :winkgrin:

No chance - not for this year at least! I'll bring it along as a work in progress once again though.

17 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Might i say WHHHAAATTTT !!!!!!

This is completely beyond comprehension & mind blowing. So do you have a hanger to store this beautiful piece of art ? I can only dream about having skills like this. Cant wait to see this fully painted And detailed. 

Unfortunately hangarage at the local airfield is unaffordable for the long term, so instead the Shackleton will have to reside on some industrial shelving I have installed in my attic along with my other big 'uns :(

5 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Wonderful to see this one back, and congrats on reaching that milestone. It is, as you say, all downhill from here...and the fun part too!

Ian

Thanks, Ian, and yes it should be relatively straightforward from here. I did make the mistake of making myself a 'to do' list yesterday evening though, and it goes something like this:

- scratch build the cockpit and cabin interior

- scratch build the bomb bay and doors

- scratch build the landing gear, wheel bays and doors

- scratch build the propellers

- add the numerous lumps and bumps - all needing to be made from scratch

- scribe and rivet the whole airframe

- crash mold or vacuform the transparencies

- decide on a colour scheme, paint it, and then source/make/spray on markings

- complete all the final details (which usually takes ages!)

So in short, maybe not completely down hill but as you say, it'll be a hoot and will keep me occupied for a while :rolleyes:

10 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Will you get back onto that Stirling next??

(runs away laughing hysterically being chased by Matron)........

Trevor

Stirling you say? As mentioned above I have just brought Sanger's 1/48th B-52H and that is really tempting as a next project... but so is the 1/32nd Sunderland, too. Decisions, decisions...

Anyway guys and girls, thanks as ever for stopping by - your words of encouragement are much appreciated.

Tom

• Like 5

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 7:52 PM, tomprobert said:

rivet the whole airframe

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 7:52 PM, tomprobert said:

keep me occupied for a while

:rofl:

• Like 1

She's looking wonderful as she growls her way past a significant milestone.  I imagine just handling a model of that size to work on it must ge a challenge that requires some planning... but boy is she worth it!

• 3 months later...

Evening all :)

I've dusted this off in time for a trip to Telford and decided to tackle the rudders over the last couple of weeks. You'll have to excuse the terrible photography as I haven't had the time to get the proper camera set up so I've been snapping away with my camera phone in the dark winter evenings...

I carefully removed the fins from the stabilsers and using the set of plans I have, cut the shape of the rudder from plastic card. As the real thing is an aerofoil shape, I cut what would become the leading edges from sprue, and mated these to the rudder hinge line:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next up was to add some thicker plastic card to the forward third of the rudders to aid with the thicker forward part of the structure:

Posted Image

The thicker forward sections and aerofoil shape were then made up and blended together with filler:

Posted Image

They were then primed with filler-primer, sanded sooth with some micromesh, and then I scribed the basic panel detail on to them. The riveting will have to wait as I can't find my riveting tool anywhere at the moment:

Posted Image

The rudders now fit nice and snugly to the fins themselves, which have now been reattached to the stabilisers:

Posted Image

And here she is sitting pretty on the kitchen table and ready for a trip to Telford next weekend:

Posted Image

As you can see I have also started playing around with the propellers, but more of that next time:

Posted Image

I'll hopefully catch some of you at the Nationals - the Shackleton will be on IPMS West Kent so do pop over and say hello!

Tom

• Like 31

I will be round as soon as I can Tom, wouldn't miss it for the world

Lovely work on the ...

Well

All of it really but the rudders are especially brilliant

I saw the white cut outs and the round bits at the front and was thinking "Oh no he is going to hinge the centre part as well as the mass balance centres"

Dohh

OK call me stupid, I know you wouldn't make such a mistake

Just that I know I might have  :(

• Like 2