1/32nd scale Avro Shackleton - scratchbuild project

On 10 January 2017 at 9:36 AM, tomprobert said:

Many thanks for checking in, chaps. Your kind words are very motivating on long projects such as this :)

Since the last update I've attached the outer wings to the inner wing sections, and it's suddenly become very clear just how big this model is going to be!

Hopefully a pictorial update in the not-too-distant future... when I've found the wide-angled lens...

Tom

Tom

ive had a word with the Burgess Hall, if you're bringing it to the Brampton Show this year they've agreed to keep the bowling alley in the leisure centre next door free for you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GordonM said:

Tom

ive had a word with the Burgess Hall, if you're bringing it to the Brampton Show this year they've agreed to keep the bowling alley in the leisure centre next door free for you!

They'll need to re-enforce the floor.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GordonM said:

Tom

Ha ha! It'll need something like that as no doubt my club will be delighted that it'll take up about two-thirds of the display space!

36 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

They'll need to re-enforce the floor.

It's not too heavy actually, as don't forget it's mainly plastic card. Although about three-quarters of its weight is actually filler...

I'll certainly hope to bring it along to a show or two as a 'work in progress' - I imagine its first outing of the year will be Southern Expo at Hornchurch in March.

• Like 1

Surely it won't be so bad for taking up space!  Think of it this way, everyone can place their builds under yours!

Ever been to the Evergreen Museum in McMinnville, Oregon?  They part a bunch of planes under the Spruce Goose, no problem!!!  :

21 hours ago, Pastor Rich said:

Surely it won't be so bad for taking up space!  Think of it this way, everyone can place their builds under yours!

Ever been to the Evergreen Museum in McMinnville, Oregon?  They part a bunch of planes under the Spruce Goose, no problem!!!  :

It's in Oregon? There was nothing under it when I saw it in LA in 85....when did it get moved?

Ian

It got moved several years ago.  Broken into pieces and hauled north -- making its final journey by flatbed I believe.  Here's a link for a Google search on the topic:  https://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=moving+the+Spruce+Goose&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Last I saw it there was a B-17G parked at the tail of it.  The span of the horizontal stab of the SG was greater than the wingspan of the Fort!  (It literally looked like a toy in comparison!)  I haven't been to the Evergreen Museum in over a decade so can't speak to it today; but HIGHLY recommend the trip to rural Oregon to see it if you happen to find yourself in the Pacific Northwest!  (Only 6-hours or so from Seattle and a doable trip from Vancouver, BC)

• Like 1

Evening all...

I've got the outer wing sections finished off and attached to the inner wing sections this week. 

My first job after the last update was to finish off rectifying a few blemishes on the new wing tip extensions I'd made, as well as completing the shaping of the wing tips with various shades of sandpaper:

31953849270_7f150f81d5_c.jpg

With this completed it was then time to attach the outer wing sections - this was done by cutting slits in the inner wing ends and allowing the spar stubs from the outer wings to slide through and interlock with the inner wing spars I'd made earlier in the build. The outer sections are quite chunky, and I wasn't confident that normal poly cement or superglue would be strong enough in the longer term, so instead I've used this stuff:

31488619024_e69e04d4f1_c.jpg

It's actually are two-part exposy-resin glue that dries so hard it's like concrete. It can be sanded/sculpted and with a workable drying time of 20 minutes, it allowed me to set the wings level and then they could be left overnight to harden. The join is now absolutely solid, and there's very little flex across the entire length of the wing which is rather pleasing for a model of this span.

It was important to get the correct dihedral, and because the Shackleton's outer wing sections have a less pronounced upward lift than the Lancaster, the fact I was using Lancaster wings meant I needed to modify the join - you can see in the picture below the plastic card spacers I added to each wing to get the correct angle:

31953851440_4df45dfa4c_c.jpg

I then set about blending the inner and outer sections together, and applied a liberal coating of my trusty P38. This was then sanded back over a couple of evenings. Building a model this size requires thinking out of the box, and sanding it over the sink was the only option because 1) it keeps the amount of dust to a minimum and 2) it's one of the only spaces big enough to maneuver it properly! The wife wasn't best pleased, but I explained this was a better option than coating the rest of the house in an inch or two of sanding dust...

32292166816_201cd60a6f_c.jpg

And here we are - it's suddenly become a lot bigger... about three-and-half-feet-across-the-wings-bigger!

31953852010_793b0f4db6_c.jpg

31488618124_d72984b1c3_c.jpg

You may have noticed that the fins are missing - this was because one was broken off when it had a too-closer encounter with the wall adjacent to my workbench, and thus I removed the other one as well before that took some irreparable damage, too. They will be reattached when the main filling and sanding is complete.

In the photo you can see the amount of filler needed to correct the warping on the left wing - it's more or less corrected now but it will be clearer to see if further work is needed when it's been primed:

31953850620_5ca4a2de81_c.jpg

So the next step will be to have a bash at the outboard engine nacelles... should be fun :)

Until next time,

Tom

Edited by tomprobert
Removal of long Flickr links
  • Like 23

17 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Amazing, Tom! She's really taking shape. Before our very astounded eyes.

Regards,

Jason

Cheers, Jason. 

The main structure is almost there now - only the outboard nacelles to do. I've been working on this for about a year, and it's come a long way. I wasn't confident at the start that I'd actually get this far, but it's actually been more straightforward than I had anticipated and taught me a lot along the way. There's no going back now...

• Like 1

Epic build Tom, your skills are shining through! It'll almost be a shame to put paint on it and cover up all that work.

I bet part of the challenge now is not to break it or knock things off your workbench while weilding it!

Cheers

John

• Like 2

Tom,

Of course, you know what this means, now that you have invaded the kitchen and your wife has seen what a handyman you are -- creating something from mere scraps of plastic?!  Your "Honey Do" list stands a high likelihood of going through the roof!  : ) 

I feel privileged to see her with the wings on...I can almost hear those Griffons roaring by!  Very convincing and beautiful build!!

PR

• Like 1

Just gone through the 20 pages of this and I am very, very, very impressed! Absolutely stunning! Excellent workmanship. I am pleased to see you use P38 as that is what I shall be using on my own models! Now I know how it works on models. You are a master craftsman, using a vacform model as a donor for a scratch build Shackleton! 

:wow:amazing!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for dropping in and the interest, chaps - no further progress to report other then a coat of filler primer on the wings to check for any further work needed... and there's plenty of blemishes etc. to sort before moving on to the outboard nacelles.

On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 10:35 PM, airscale said:

truly an amazing build Tom- I can't wait to see it at Telford one day :)

Peter

Cheers, Peter. No doubt I'll bring it along again in November as a 'work in progress' - very much doubt it'll be anywhere near finished but I'm hoping it will at least be structurally complete.

On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 9:54 PM, simmerit said:

Its a monster!!!!!  You must be well popular with your mrs

She is very understanding to be fair, but does raise an eyebrow when I bring it downstairs to work on it in the garden as it's a struggle on the workbench... mainly due to the fact I keep knocking stuff over with a wayward wingtip or swearing profusely when I knock a fin off... :blink:

Tom 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Evening everyone :)

Not a lot of progress to report on the big Shackleton project, but work has been going on, albeit at a glacial pace...

I've been getting the wing surfaces sorted, as after the outer wings were attached a coat of filler-primer revealed a multitude of sins to be sorted. The original plastic of the Lancaster kit was quite bumpy from the start, and the rather rudimentary panel detailing needed to go, too. So, the pictures you see below are the results of three coats of filler-primer that have now been sanded back and polished, to leave me with a lovely and smooth surface for the final priming:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've also begun the process of marking out the position of the outboard nacelles in preparation to make those:

Posted Image

Have I said before that this model is rather large? Here's a 1/32nd Spitfire snuggled up and shows the massive span of this thing - it's not far short of the 1/32nd B-29 I did a few years back:

Posted Image

Not the most enthralling of updates, but I wanted to assure you that this project is still ticking along slowly...

On a final note, does anyone know of a good source of plans for the radome set-up on the AEW2? I'm going to redo my earlier one and need a lower, side, front and rear profile of the 'dome itself is anyone knows of a good set of drawings?

Until next time,

Tom

• Like 19

Down playing the magnificence again Tom

looking awe inspiring too

Have you asked Rich82 (?) of the Shackleton team in Coventry if he has any useful info from their project?

I'm pretty sure they had to remove their radome to return her to her original state and they had details that Airfix drew from for their kit

Amazing; it really emphasises the aspect ratio of the Shack wings and the enormous difference between them and the (relatively) fat Lanc wing.

A fantastic bit of modelling; can't wait to see more.

On ‎31‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 09:58, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Stay British & go for broke; 1/32 Brabazon...

Congratulations !!

That's sound very interesting, I like the Brabazon.

Corsaircorp