1/32nd scale Avro Shackleton - scratchbuild project

Well Tom that dent buffed out a treat didnt it, really a case of P38 and T-cut just as they say about a decent car crash

:)

Which this Shack isn't, I'm really looking forward to the wings being done

Usual Tom P work I'd say then

As the rest of us say

Magic

You're too kind!

P38 really is fantastic stuff for projects like these; and as you say it buffs up beautifully and also scribes without problems, too.

:popcorn:

Totally missed this one when you started Tom.

Loving the progress.

Better late than never... ;-)

Glad that you could join us.

Edited by tomprobert
  • Like 1

How on earth have I missed this? Not like it's small or something...

The usual jaw-dropping workmanship I see. You must have shares in Evergreen....

Ian

How on earth have I missed this? Not like it's small or something...

The usual jaw-dropping workmanship I see. You must have shares in Evergreen....

Ian

It's shaping up to be a large one - not quite as large as the B-29 I did a few years back, but not far off!

As soon as you finish it, Revell will announce a scale up of their AEW.2! You are therefore providing A Great Public Service :)

This is coming along superbly.

Trevor

That wouldn't surprise me in the slightest, Trevor.

However, a scaling up to 1/48th I could well believe, but not sure if they'd ever go as large as 1/32nd. HK Models on the other hand...

Tom

A very productive last couple of days...

The fuselage has had some further fettling with more filling and sanding, and has also had a few coats of filler primer with some sanding in between each coat to rid the surface of any minor imperfections.

So, here's where the project stands now:

25979317582_269eca855e_c.jpg

25467080214_fb13f6c257_c.jpg

26045915566_bff67b1ba0_c.jpg

26005502681_e2904682aa_c.jpg

25469245023_7fc75dabea_c.jpg

25798982400_3e016f818f_c.jpg

25979309752_71656399a7_c.jpg

25467082854_0ab4d4ae4c_c.jpg

So I'm now at a stage where I can start to think about the wings and stabilisers - I think I'm going to have a crack at the inner wing sections initially as these, being identical to the Lancaster, mean it'll be a nice and simple job of using the ID Models parts... in theory, anyway.

Until next time,

Tom

Stunning as always Tom. Great pic of the 1/72 Shack next to the plans.

All the Best!

Don

Stunning as always Tom. Great pic of the 1/72 Shack next to the plans.

All the Best!

Don

Cheers, Don.

I've calculated (very non scientifically I must add) that this 1/32nd scale version will take up about as much shelf space as 6 of the 1/72nd scale versions would!

As you can imagine, her indoors is not overly impressed, and it hasn't even got wings yet...

Tom

P38 doesn't seem to be available here in the Colonies (at least I couldn't find it in a 30 second internet search) - I wonder if one of the Bondo products is equivalent?

Cheers,

Bill

A start has been made on making the wings for the big Shackleton...

I have the great Mr Chadwick to thank for making my life easy for this part, as the the original Manchester wing centre section was carried through to the Lancaster, then Lincoln and finally the Shackleton. Therefore, it has just been a case of using the ID Models' Lancaster wing centre sections for this, but with some minor modifications.

Here's the vacformed parts removed from the backing sheet and rubbed down to the correct thickness:

26137185845_24bd37d42d_c.jpg

These were then checked against the plans, and the exact position on the fuselage was worked out. Also, the Lancaster's fuel pump fairings would also need to be removed as these were not present on the Shackleton:

25864342790_a9beb61544_c.jpg

26137185325_4baaedab5c_c.jpg

I then set about removing the pump fairings, undercarriage bays as well as the inboard flaps, as I plan to have these down on the finished model:

25534563413_1f102734c8_c.jpg

The wheel bays and flap apertures were made from 1mm plastic card, and installed on the lower wing halves - this provides a very strong structure to support the weight of the model:

26137184285_59e211cef3_c.jpg

The main spars were then trimmed slightly and the lower wing sections glued to the spars with poly cement for the strongest possible join. A few extra bits of bracing were added at this point, too:

26070854561_4523c85a9e_c.jpg

With the lower sections dry, the upper sections were then glued over the top, making sure a strong bond was attained to the internal spars etc:

25532429424_5c788b38ab_c.jpg

Some gaps at the upper wing root needed plugging with scrap plastic card in preparation for filling:

26111267576_e273b2f3ce_c.jpg

The next task will be getting everything blended in nicely with filler and the joins made good. Now where's the P38..?

Until next time,

Tom

• Like 14

P38 doesn't seem to be available here in the Colonies (at least I couldn't find it in a 30 second internet search) - I wonder if one of the Bondo products is equivalent?

Cheers,

Bill

No idea I'm afraid, Bill.

I've also used generic car body fillers in the past with equal success - I imagine they're much the same regardless of brand or your location in the world.

• Like 2

Superb mate, The way it looks now makes me think of the Halifax build... I have to ask though, when this is done what on earth is next? Sunderland, Stirling? B-36?

Cheers, Radders!

The process of building the wings will pretty much be identical to the Halifax build - the only challenging part with this is going to be modifying the outer wing sections from Lancaster to Shackleton - they'll need tip extensions and I believe the shape differed slightly from the Lincoln wing from the aileron section outboard, but I need to research this further.

Not really thinking about the next build yet but I do have the 1/32nd Stirling started, and the 1/32nd Sunderland still sits patiently in the stash awaiting its turn. The scratch-building bug has really caught me though, and I may well do another complete scratch-build when this is eventually done.

Anyone fancy a 1/32nd TSR2? :)

• Like 9

And he needs an Me-321 Gigant to be towed by the 1/32nd scale 'Zwilling'. Great work, again Tom. Comparing the wings of my various (unfinished) Lancaster family aircraft in 1/72nd scale here are a couple of observations - the wing leading edge from the Manchester to the MR.3 was basically at the same angle. The MR.2 wing differed from the MR.3 wing mainly outboard of the inner attachment point for the ailerons (just think of the ailerons being rotated back some degrees). The front half of the outer wing was basically the same, with the exception of the blunt tips for the tip tanks. Now about that 1/32nd scale B-36...

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

Bill might like to try for any other car filler, preferably one from the Isopon stable

But proprietary 'Bondo' ought to do the trick

(I would advise getting P38-a-like though, we know it works with sheet plastic builds. See Tom's previous builds) ;)

The inner wing set-up looks darned good Tom

I remember just copying the Lincoln wing form at the outer end on mine 'cos everyone said it is the same as...

We'd best ask Rich82 maybe

And he needs an Me-321 Gigant to be towed by the 1/32nd scale 'Zwilling'. Great work, again Tom. Comparing the wings of my various (unfinished) Lancaster family aircraft in 1/72nd scale here are a couple of observations - the wing leading edge from the Manchester to the MR.3 was basically at the same angle. The MR.2 wing differed from the MR.3 wing mainly outboard of the inner attachment point for the ailerons (just think of the ailerons being rotated back some degrees). The front half of the outer wing was basically the same, with the exception of the blunt tips for the tip tanks. Now about that 1/32nd scale B-36...

Regards,

Jason

The inner wing set-up looks darned good Tom

I remember just copying the Lincoln wing form at the outer end on mine 'cos everyone said it is the same as...

We'd best ask Rich82 maybe

Cheers chaps, and it appears you are both quite correct. The MR3 had a slightly different outer section due to the addition of the tip tanks by the looks of things.

An MR2 wing looks more or less identical to the Lincoln wing which will make my life easier.

1:32 Vulcan anyone??? :D

There is the Heritage vacform but they're like hens' teeth. One day I'll come across one though...

• Like 1