KC-135 v 707-320B

DrewP

Yes the E-3 is a -320. For the listing you are talking about I can see the JT-3 engine parts under those for the CFMs, so it has the correct engines. If that bag with the engine parts is sealed you should be fine. The only thing I can't make out is whether the Verticle stab parts are there. You may want to ask the seller a couple of questions. For $89 you would want to know that the main parts are there.

Hawkeye Models Australia does QANTAS decals in 1/72.

I have instructions that I can scan, may have already scanned them for someone else.

My goodness... I am so very annoyed!!! Another person has listed a sealed Airfix E-3, same as the other one I mentioned, but - get this - the shipping is $50!!!! I was really hoping I would get a steal out of that one, but $50 is too much for me... Good Luck!

Maybe I should just invest in the opened one and hope for the best :confused:

Well I've talked to a seller and, using coupons I've collected, have gotten the E-3 kit for a very reasonable price. I actually had to talk to many different people on a variety of websites for a good price, and this one had the best. I will take up your offer, TrojanThunder, on sending me a copy of the instructions. I emailed them and asked for more pictures and all the parts are there (JT3D's, Vertical and Horizontal stabilizers, everything). Skippie, I know one way to create windows is to drill them out, but I don't think I can really commit myself to doing that in case I mess anything up. I will look into it. Would the best plan be printing out scaled pictures of the side of a 707, tracing it out, taping it to the fuselage, etc. and just drilling them out? I would, of course, protect the surrounding areas with tape, paper, towels, etc. but is there a simpler way? I would also like to know of the drill bit that is the size of a window. They are (as everyone knows) rounded rectangles, and the only drills I have/use are completely circular. Thanks!

All the best,

Drew

That is good news Drew.

I will sort out a scan and email them to you (PM inbound).

As for drilling out windows, well I would use decals. Unless you have some sort of template to keep everything aligned I think you are getting your self in to a world of hurt (IMO). I had a go at drilling out windwos on a 1/72 airliner and gave up after about 8. It is very difficult to sort out spacing and shape without making a mess (again IMO). Note my B707 has decals windows in the cabin.

Ray

Ray, I wasn't too confident in my abilities of drilling, either. I think it's a good idea if I wanted to have an interior (which I will try to have, at least at the galleys and cockpit) but I'm just not experienced enough or well-equipped to do so. I don't really stand on either side of clear vs. decals. If I can get some clear and I'm confident, I'll do them. If it's just too small, or too much of a project to invest in, I'm perfectly fine with decals. John Stokes does some amazing airlines along with Bradd Shinn and a ton of other that I can't name or haven't seen their works yet. I know for a fact I will keep the cockpit clear. As for the framing... I don't know if I should use styrene and hand-build the frames or just put in the plastic and use a frame decal (most likely). Once again, everyone's suggestions, ideas, and comments have all really been an amazing help! Thank you all so much!

All the best,

Drew

Drew, drilling out windows not my idea of having fun. Don't suppose it's yours. either. Not humanly possible to do two rows near enough 2ft long apiece, anyway, without going well astray and consigning 80 bucks-odd to the spares bin. Hence my suggestion of hanging out for the Heller passenger 707! As to an interior, doubt any of it will be visible, except for a murky suggestion of a flightdeck. Many do it for obscure reasons like "knowing it's there" or "knowing the job's properly done."

The Heller cockpit piece, by the way, is a kind of quarter-sphere and you can easily apply window masks to the 10 relevant bits of it, paint it all over, then remove the masks, leaving the frames painted. There will be a step, which you can fill with a drop of Future or varnish.

--

PS Once tried enlarging the few, large cabin windows of an Airfix F.27 nicely and evenly. Easy enough... NOT! Shook with fear looking at the attempt! Considered having them 3d printed, cutting out the originals and slipping the 3d printed strips in. Wasn't expensive -- quite the opposite! £7 or 8 as I recall, including postage & packing -- and that 4-5 years ago, if not more. In the end gave up on the idea because life intervened...

Edited by skippiebg
  • Like 1

All the Boeing (707,720,727etc) windows aren't round either they're rectangular with radiused corners.........filing those out in a straight line and accurately would get you Modeller of the year 2016 and the next ten. I'd vote for you anyway ! One tiny slip with a rat tailed file, its curtains.

All the Boeing (707,720,727etc) windows aren't round either they're rectangular with radiused corners.........filing those out in a straight line and accurately would get you Modeller of the year 2016 and the next ten. I'd vote for you anyway ! One tiny slip with a rat tailed file, its curtains.

Boeings don't have curtains, they have blinds :whistle:

• Like 1

Boeings don't have curtains, they have blinds :whistle:

I knew the curtains remark and the window connection would kick somebody off............I wasn't wrong!

One day lad this will all be yours..........

• Like 1

An alternative to drilling out windows is to cut out a rectangle where the window belt goes, insert a rectangle of clear plastic, sand and polish it down and then mask out the individual windows. Keeping the masks identical and all lined up with each other can be a bit of a challenge but the end result is really good.

• Like 1

Hello all!

I bought an E-3D Used (with all pieces, no instructions) for a reduced price off eBay (the seller was very negotiable). The kit came within a week, and it is in near-perfect condition. The lower wingbox (which has a section of the lower wing on each side) and the left lower wing was snapped from the sprue (not cut... the one downside). I tried dry-fitting all the major parts - fuselage halves, "wingbox", upper and lower wings, and everything fit fine. The only real issue with the wing is one of them in somehow moulded incorrectly. The kit has the "dogtooth" wings and is represents them perfectly, but the where the lower wing fits into the wingbox is at an angle. When fit together and taped to the upper wing, the upper wing has a lip of about 2mm. It isn't something major, but it could take some time re-aligning panel lines, filling in the space left by the lower-wing/wingbox join, etc. but it is quite noticeable.

Overall, the kit is wonderful. When I was dry-fitting the fuselage together, the light hit is just right so that I could see the outline of the windows in the fuselage. I'm not sure quite hot to explain it, but it's there and only visible when the light hits it just right. I could use this in masking/painting and maybe even drilling. Like Jess said, I think that is a nice idea, isn't it done with BPK's models? I think that's a really smart idea on their part (and thanks for the idea, as well!). I'm sure the outline of the windows should help me tremendously. The only other issue I have run into at this point is the upper wings not fully joining with the fuselage, but it is something minor. I saw another fellow, who was building one of those awful Minicraft 757's, take some extra sprue or parts or whatever it was and seal it with some modeling glue or some liquid that, in effect, melted the plastic. With all the excess plastic I have, I could use his method and have plenty extra goo to fill the gaps with. I don't have much time lately, with the oil crisis here in California, and dozens of employees being laid off every day, I fear I may be next :( . But no worries, then I'll have more time for building this beast! Until then, I'll be stuck working day-in and day-out. I will try to work as much as I can on it whenever I can. I will definitely make a WIP when work starts (and once I finish my poor SSJ-100, all neglected on the workbench).

FJjZq1v.jpg

All the best,

Drew

Edited by DrewP
  • Like 1

Drew, I think this is a common thing with the E-3 kit,

The other wing is fine fit wise but the right one needs some attention when assembling.

I taped one of mine up to see if the same thing happened. I got a different issue which I now recall happened on the other B707/E-3 I built.

First time around I assembled the wing as a piece before attaching to the fuselage.

B707RAAF03.jpg

I also added spreaders to the fuselage to reduce the wing root/fuselage seam. This may also eliminate the dog toothing you are getting with the upper wing panel.

B707RAAF17.jpg

When the fuselage and wing was joined I had to pack the front seam with some card to get everything to sit flush.

B707RAAF27.jpg

My way you get a gap where the inner and outer wing sections join, but at least you can fill it with card/putty to eliminate with little fuss. This is a shot of the kit I taped up just now. My order of attaching the parts was upper wing pieces to the lower wing box and then outer panels to the upper wing pieces.

72_E-3D_Wing_01_zps3cmwyblm.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just tried to post a KC135 to the States and started a thread regarding it!!Suffice to say Royal Mail refused it as too big,and would only offer Global Express at 5 times the normal mount as it was over 60 cms in longest bit!!?Apparently it could be sent in this Country with no problem!!!Therefore I still have it,although I no longer build anything other than UK Airlines or British Military??

All this talk has got my interest going again in my planned 1/72 scale series of 707 and KC-135 variants. I've been collecting kits for a number of years now, 3 Heller 707s, 11 Esci KC-135s of differing versions, and I ended up with 6 RC-135 kits (thought I was buying a single copy but a whole carton appeared on my doorstep!).

I have managed to begin the series with but a single build, appropriately the 367-80 as it appeared on the first flight. Converted from a ESCI KC-135, among the many modifications the fuselage was sectioned and is the narrowed to 132" width from the 144" of the KC-135.

Eric aka The Yankymodeler

DSCN6515.jpg

DSCN6506.jpg

DSCN6509.jpg

• Like 10

Thank you, the Dash 80 fascinated me as a child, so it was a natural to include in the intended series. The 367-80 was 12" narrower and 8' 3" shorter than the KC-135, fortunately the wing was externally the same and most of the other modifications were fairly simple.

Eric aka The Yankymodeler

Edited by Yankymodeler
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Drew

to echo others' comments, if you want a 1/72 320B/C then the Heller/Airfix one is worth holding out for- it's got of lovely detail and is bascially the right shape. I think the Airfix E3A is the same basic kit but you'd have to find some JT3D engines as I think that one only comes with CFM 56s

However, if you are starting from a KC-135, that can be turned into a -720B if you're feeling adventurous: Slight widening of the fuselage at the top, a small plug ahead of the wing and then the main challenge is the extended inboard leading edge. (Nothing that a bunch of plasticard and filler can't fix). Here's one I did while laid up for a month after an op on my foot:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/96171173@N05/albums/72157641769194285

Only after finishing did I realise my calculations were out and the whole wing should be one window further back but I think I got away with it. Fiddliest bits were the engine silencers (the KC-135 just didn't have them) but I managed to cobble some together from cotton bud stems.

• Like 1

Love that Western scheme and the look of it. Decals look ace. Didn't notice the window out bit.

Its a 720-062 though, not a 720B its got the original engines not the Fanjets of the B model. I saw it at LAX 1970 or 71.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Just in case that someone would need for E-3 to 707-320 project, I have an extra leftover pair of Heller 1/72 707-320 fuselage halves (unused). These are only the fuselage halves, not including the transparencies

Mika.