Nord 1300/Slingsby/Fokker Baby IIb -Getting it up?

sean

I've recently bought the AZ Models 1/72 Nord 1300/Slingsby/Fokker Baby IIb,

and been looking for suitable tow aircraft for getting it in the air. So far I've found some

photos of weird and wonderful ways that it became airbourne, but no info or photos of

any aircraft towing a glider.

Any help you be great.

I intend to use the British scheme on one of the gliders, and an early German scheme on the other,

hence the question in the interwar forum,

24127617650_64f4fcc391_c.jpg

TIA,

Sean

In the days when Grunaus were common on the club scene, the usual launch method was either by bungee (essentially a king-sized rubber band) off the side of a hill, or by winch. Aerotow was there, but not common - more usually at contests. See if you can get hold of Martin Simons' The World's Vintage Sailplanes 1908-45 (Kookaburra Technical Publications, Dandenong, 1986, ISBN 0 85880 046 2), which you may find useful. It's been out of print for a while now, but should still be available through second-hand outlets. It has some pictures of both forms of launch in it.

As an aside, Edmund Schneider, who designed the Grunau Baby, brought the design with him when he moved to Australia after WWII and developed it out here. It eventually evolved into the Nymph and Kingfisher single-seaters and later the ES.52 Kookaburra series of two-seaters (aircraft with which I am very familiar - I went solo in a "Brickaburra" ...).

• Like 2

VD204 served until the mid 1950s, so a highly suitable tug would be a post-war Tiger Moth, ideally in civilian colours as it would not be inappropriate to see an RAFGSA single-seater taking a tow from a civvy tug at a weekend glider event.

Really the Tiger Moth is the best tug for such low speed gliders. Everything else tends to get a bit hot and sweaty at the low aerotow speeds required for vintage gliders. Even a Super Cub using flap.

• Like 1

Thanks Admiral, I had found a very good French site relating to these gliders,but alas no

information regarding tow planes. Plenty of alternative methods though, like a winch

using the driving axle of someones car, possibly a pre-war Citreon.

I shall keep a look out for the book, for some reason this little glider has got under my skin.

Thanks WIP, I have the Airfix Tiggie in the stash, so that's one sorted.

Thanks guys for taking the time to reply,

Regards,

Sean

I've looked.....perhaps I'll wait til the price comes down a bit...... :yikes:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0858800462/ref=tmm_other_meta_binding_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=&sr=

Sean

Edited for crap spelling

Edited by sean

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Sean Try this site fabulous reference for magazines on line on gliding. http://www.lakesgc.co.uk/mainwebpages/oldsandgmagazines.htm

For gliding books here http://www.lakesgc.co.uk/mainwebpages/Wally%20Kahn%20Book%20Collection.htm

Edited by T-21
  • Like 2

I'm sure I have a photo showing one of my Grunaus being towed by a Tiger Moth at Farnborough just after the war. It was brought to this country and flown in it's Luftwaffe colours for a while. I'll have a look through my photos when I get a minute to venture into the loft and retrieve it.

Chris.

• Like 1

VD204 served until the mid 1950s, so a highly suitable tug would be a post-war Tiger Moth, ideally in civilian colours as it would not be inappropriate to see an RAFGSA single-seater taking a tow from a civvy tug at a weekend glider event.

Really the Tiger Moth is the best tug for such low speed gliders. Everything else tends to get a bit hot and sweaty at the low aerotow speeds required for vintage gliders. Even a Super Cub using flap.

How true. Sloppy handling and the nose up attitude makes look out an issue. Even in a Super Cub. Weaving climbs become the habit. Then you worry about engine overheat.

Tugging vintage gliders is one of the better uses of Tiger Moths. Just looks right.

I recall wafting gently around in a few rather fine open cockpit gliders of similar vintage, but never one of these. Lovely type of aircraft in light hill lift or gentle thermals. Can anyone remember what the stalling speed was?

Edited by John B (Sc)

I found the stall speed varies quite a lot between different aircraft. Anything between 24 and 26kts. I guess a lot depends on the build quality and minute variations in the rigging. Probably due to various repairs and refurbs carried out during the gliders lifetime.

Chris.

I'd love a go in a Grunau or Prefect. Closest I've ever been is the T-21 and 31, and while the view from a T-31 cockpit is very similar to that from a Grunau I'm sure the reduction in weight and drag are very much felt in the single seaters.

Mind you, I'm a bit peculiar as given the choice I generally I prefer scratching around in a K8 to glass.

Mind you, I'm a bit peculiar as given the choice I generally I prefer scratching around in a K8 to glass.

I'm with you on that score WIP.

Glass is very nice but to me it's a bit soul less. A bit like Tupperware.

Try and get your hands on a Ka6E You will love it.

Chris,

It is the most elegant thing ever: sadly I am unlikely to find one I can fit into. I was always a bit on the long side for a 6, and am probably now a bit on the heavy side too. Along with all the pre-war types that I am too big and/or heavy for, both powered and gliders.

I should have found some way of stunting my growth as a kid...

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1

It is the most elegant thing ever: sadly I am an likely to find one I can fit into. I was always a bit on the long side for a 6, and am probably now a bit on the heavy side too. Along with all the pre-war types that I am too big and/or heavy for, both powered and gliders.

I should have found some way of stunting my growth as a kid...

Woodbines?

I must say I'm enjoying reading these posts, even if I do have to Google what you're on about,

Sean

Sean

Vintage gliders are just lovely really. There is nothing about them that is not fabulous. Except the glide angles, in some cases. And the tip-stalling. And... and... but then...

Habicht (replica, fully aerobatic and gorgeous)

300px-DFS_Habicht_E.jpg

Minimoa

minimoa-dusk.jpg

Kirkby Kite

119568971.jpg

Slingsby Petrel

08%20SlingsbyPetrelBig.jpg

And almost all of us of a certain generation learned to fly ab initio on: The Slingsby T.21B

slingsbygr.jpg

... and the first solo machine, the T.31, or Cadet III, which itself is a stretched but direct lineal descendant of the Grunau Baby...

440px-Slingsby_%281249888545%29.jpg

...which neatly takes us back to the type at the start of the thread, by which means I hope the digression will be forgiven.

fok.jpg

• Like 1

Vintage gliders are just lovely really. There is nothing about them that is not fabulous.

... and the first solo machine, the T.31, or Cadet III, which itself is a stretched but direct lineal descendant of the Grunau Baby...

440px-Slingsby_%281249888545%29.jpg

The T31 was developed from the T8 Tutor, The Grunaus built under license by Slingsby were designated T5. It was the T30 Prefect that was directly developed from the Grunau Slingsby also used the wing plan form, increased in both span and chord when they developed the T21 Even the Go 535 wing sections were retained but the top and bottom air-brakes of the Grunau were replaced with top surface spoilers in the Sedbergh.

I wish someone would produce an accurate T21 in 1/48th scale.

Chris

Chris, I know next to nothing about gliders (other than learning to duck when one approaches from behind when you're inside the perimeter of an airfield) but Heritage produced a T21 and T31 in 1:48th, I have no idea if they were accurate?

Chris, I know next to nothing about gliders (other than learning to duck when one approaches from behind when you're inside the perimeter of an airfield) but Heritage produced a T21 and T31 in 1:48th, I have no idea if they were accurate?

Cheers Gordon.

I have both as it happens and they are ok as a last resort I suppose.

Fortunately I have the Slingsby drawings for both which I used when restoring my own some time ago. Unless someone like Ardpol decide to produce a resin kit I'll probably scratch build them at some point.

Chris.

Neither is particularly hard to scratch, tbh.

That's what I was thinking. :thumbsup:

Might have a go at some drawings this week and see what comes to light.

My main concern would be the fabric areas

Sorry to drift a little off course with the thread subject

Chris