Equipment Measurements

Purplepanzer

Hi my fellow modelling brethren.

Just a couple of quick questions that I am hoping someone can help me with. I'm not sure if this is the section to ask but as my questions relate to scratch building equipment, I think they should qualify.

Does anyone know where I can get the measurements for WW2 equipment such as vehicle tarps, webbing & it's component parts ammo pouches etc, & that sort of stuff in general?

I am wanting to scratch build this sort of stuff for my 1/35th scale WW2 models, but I want them to be the correct size in that scale.

Any pointers, links web sites etc would be very helpful.

Thanks for any help in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

The Land Warfare museum at iwm duxford may be able to assist. Not sure how to get direct contact but website may have something. 😏

Edited by Lancbuilder219

• 4 weeks later...

if you've ever heard of model railroaders named John Allen or E.L. Moore, they both used "imagineering". there's a point (and i do understand it exists at different places for each of us) where things cease to be measured and become more important to look correct. at 1/35 scale, the plausibility, or margin of error, for an ammo pouch is much different than a 1/6 scale figure. larger scales require more detail to look "right". tarps on the other hand, came in infinite sizes and may depend what you want covered. if it's bundles, a scale tarp may look monsterous unless you have scale thickness canvas from which to fabricate.

as far as your original question, i would use the trick of getting a picture of something you want to model, and then search the picture for something which you can readily dimension.in architecture, quite often it can be a common door size, or height of brick course which will ultimately yield the building dimensions. maybe if a soldier's finger would be four inches long, tucked in his ammo belt, the pouch may prove to be 1/5 longer, or 5".

i guess it ultimately depends where your pain threshold lies!

Edited by detailstymied

• 5 months later...

Hello chaps.

Thank you both for the information. I will take a look at the Land Warfare museum to see what that yields. Your comments regarding taking a look at photo's is a great idea & something that hadn't even crossed my mind.

I shall let you both know how I get on, & i may even post some photo's of my efforts when I eventually get to the point where I need to fabricate the bits that I shall need.

Thanks again.

With regard to infantry equipment in 1:35 scale, Tamiya produce sets of these and I am sure that you could get details from them. It shouldn't be necessary to buy any of them, just search on-line for views of sprues and made up figures etc. to work out the measurements.

Possibly the best source of equipment for vehicles and A.F.V.'s is Verlinden. They produce books on how to make these items plus they sell kits. Again, you shouldn't need to purchase anything, although they really are nice, but just do some searches for information or made up stuff for a visual interpretation.

HTH

Mike