Heinkel He 45, Legion Condor, AML 1/72

JWM

Hi,

Second finished in this year - Heinkel He 45, Legion Condor, Spain 1937. Kit from AML - markings not exctly from box (but using all non-individual decals of kit) - mashine 15-7.

There is a lot of photos for He 45 of Legion Condor in net, some even colour (coloured?) which prove that machines were several time re-painted. Initially were in RLM 63/65 then second colour appeared (based on color photo I made it green - but some interpretaion, also in box for similar 15-10 from 1937 are that it was brown) - finally it was in 3 colours but also in two variants - small patches like Lozagnand in the end of war (and after it) - large areas.

After analyzes of photos I narrowed a bit undercarridge when you look from front. The emblem on tail in original kit decals is all black - so colours are added (also based on photos).

Here she is:

he45 DSC00174he45 DSC00173he45 DSC00172he45 DSC00169he45 DSC00168he45 DSC00167he45 DSC00166he45 DSC00165

Comments welcome

Happy New year with a lot of modelling to everybody!

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 25

Thank you Beard, Reini and Mario for nice to me comments.

New year only 16 days old and already two models finished? Sounds very fast.

I hope. The effectiveness is something I want to improve. In last year I did 13 model, a year before - 9 etc...(in average about 10 a year) So - having about 280 models is stash (and age of 56) I have to hurry up a bit If I wan to build them really (plus those which wil come)...Therfore on 1 Jan I started 2 models, then within next 3 days I added next 3 for paralel work. In the most efficient year (2004) I did 24 models and I would like to break this record this year.... We will see.

Cheers

J-W

• Like 2

I think each of us has more models than lifetime - so I think your struggle will be a fight against windmills in spite of your impressing productivity :)

Have a nice weekend

Mario

Edited by Mario
  • Like 2

That is really unusual! I've not even heard of the type before and had no idea that the Legion Condor had this kind of aircraft in its inventory.

Lovely modelling and thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

What an ugly beast !

Wings, tail and fuselage behind the pilot look like in ordinary light bomber from early 30s. And then somebody mated this to the enormously large and heavy (looking here as it was in 48th scale) engine/forward fuselage. Strange, as the engine was the standard BMW VI, used to look much more fragile in close-cowled applications - to list just the He 51 and Ar 68...

Rare bird, nevertheless !

• Like 1

Excellent job, J-W! Now that's one for my SCW wish list - I would love to find this old kit, as AML were the only manufacturer to make the He-45 in injection-moulded, I believe.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

HI Jerzy!!!

I have been looking all the pics you share here and all the posts, but believe me, I wish it was in 1981 when this nice machine would have appeared in the market!!!

I remember to have read TWO books dealing with Spanish Civil War obviously in Spanish:

ONE was by Mr Francisco Tarazona Toran : YO FUI PILOTO DE CAZA ROJO ("I was a Red Fighter Pilot") dealing with all the things they faced from the start until the end when the writer and other comrades went to France;

https://www.google.com.gt/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=libro+yo+fui+piloto+de+caza+rojo

And Another ONE by Martìn Josè Luis Martìnez Arenas named CADENAS DEL AIRE ("Chains of the Air") dealing with the coin's other side of that war.

https://www.google.com.gt/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=libro%20cadenas%20del%20aire

Some modeling pals and me were having reading these nice books and after all have read them, we made a list of the planes used by each side of the fight and everything that was appearing in the Squadron Mail Order Catalog we were celebrating and looking for ordering them with so varied results, others were bgought with me at the Hobby Shop I worked, and many of them were by the most adventurous of us tried to be made cross kitting everything with many many varied results...finishing many kits in the growing "spare parts box".

This machine has a special role there as I remember and watching your nice work made me remember of old friends that made the long journey to "The Father's House" many years ago, others that went abroad by job or politycal problems of the time, and some that disapeared as ghosts, as have not been able to know of them since a very long time...but is a nice chance to watch and enjoy looking this nice masterwork you did with this so well done soft weathering overall and in the wing underside by the exhausts.

Thank you very much for sharing and make us enjoy the showcase here!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Thank you Gents for interesting comments :)

Luis, many thanks for links, I will look there in the evening.

Jason - I think so, the AML is the sole He-45 in 1/72 so far.

next SCW item soon...

Best regards -

J-W

• Like 1

J-W, inspired by your build, I picked up an AML He-45 off of eBay (not cheaply!). I'll probably try and camouflage it like yours - I like that camouflage; relatively simple, yet attractive. As I've told you before, like you I have a weakness for SCW aircraft.

Best Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 1

Its great Jason, that you were able to get this old kit! :)

I have two remarks regarding construction - in my kit on one wing position for struts was shifted to the fuselage by 1 cm, so it was easy to notice. Second problem was with undercaridge - I made it more narrow the model looks then less nice but photos show it was more narrow then provided in kit.

BTW - here are some colour photos -

http://falkeeins.blogspot.com/2010/07/heinkel-he-45-condor-legion-colour.html

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek