What brought me back: Spitfire XIX

Morning all,

I returned to the hobby in early 2013, after about 15 years away. The inspiration was Airfix's new-ish (at the time) 1/72 Spitfire XIX. For me the XIX is perhaps the most beautiful of the Spitfire line, and the original all-over PRU Blue colour scheme sets it off nicely. And I'd never built one before, so thought I'd give it a go. Here's the result:

IMG_1301_zpsvw6igvey.jpg

IMG_1302_zpsbvnoboax.jpg

IMG_1303_zpstbr3sgif.jpg

IMG_1304_zpsrdf1saja.jpg

I did a bit of work on the kit to add a few details and used some bits from the Fujimi XIV e.g. undercarriage and propeller blades (also shaped a bit). This was my first airbrushed model, so an all-over colour-scheme was helpful for a beginner. I subsequently learned that the Airfix fuselage is a little short, but that was after the event. Decals are from Xtradecal, with stencils etc from Fujimi. I wanted a model of the ultimate WWII PR Spitfire, so I did PS887 as it would have appeared on arrival at Benson in April 1945, and before the application of 541 Squadron's post-war squadron codes and the silver spinner. Image of the real aircraft here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/sdasmarchives/8033938294

I've made a few more Spitifres since, but given this was the first in my 'modern period' of modelling, there's something special about this one. Hope you like it!

Justin

• Like 25

Hello,Justin - Welcome back to the noble art and what a fine comeback you've made! I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work and commend the clean 'classical' look.She is a resplendent tribute to the type. All The best,Paul.

• Like 1

That's a beautiful PR Mk XIX, looking just right.

You wrote: "For me the XIX is perhaps the most beautiful of the Spitfire line". I don't agree.

The word I don't agree with is "perhaps". :whistle::D

Great work, and especially considering your long hiatus.

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1