Buffalo C-46 crashed

I found out recently that Buffalo Airways' C-46 C-GTXW crashed on Sept 25 2015. She is said to be a write off. Here's the accident report. http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20150925-0

Very sad for me because I remember this plane well when she worked for Air Manitoba as "Ancient Lady" until the late '90s along with a few others, DC-3s and HS-748s. I saw her a lot back then thundering low over Winnipeg. I looked on googlemaps at Deline NWT and it looks like a C-46 shape minus wings parked off the runway next to a lodge a short distance from the runway, just very blurry since it's rural.

Edited by busnproplinerfan
  • Like 1

Yes that and other problems led to Transport Canada suspending the operating licence in November for safety violations supposedly. They only just got it back this week but I wonder if this spells the end of the C46 or even the DC3 in Buffalo service?

They have another C-46 that flies. I think that takes the worldwide fleet down to 5. With the conditions up there in winter, and the size and type of strip, the C-47 is still the best a/c for the job with a useful payload.

I can tell he's from the generation that is disappearing. He has a good sense, the radials are cheap and easy to maintain when compared to turbines. It's also something Joe grew up with, he's always thinking and is quite stubborn. A Herc would be neat but I'm guessing he would have to increase his rates a lot. Mind you he must be making decent money with the Electras. I got to meet him very briefly when I worked at Air Manitoba in '93. If C-123s were more plentiful, those would be good, but the movie companies keep wrecking them.