1/72 - Handley Page Hastings C.1/C.2 resin kit by S&M Model - released

Homebee

4 hours ago, Flight lieutenants girl said:

Hi all, I have found a formaplane Hastings 202 squadron in a box on top of my late father's wardrobe. He was a navigator in coastal command 1951-61. Is there anyone interested? Xx

I'll give it a go!

cheers

wally in Perth

• 7 months later...
7 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

For those who missed out, Mel is having another run of Hastings produced. Should be ready for Telford again.

Thanks Bentwaters. I missed out last time so what with this & the Canberra I think Mel will be taking most of my pocket money! 

Do you know if they'll be available through the website as it's unlikely I'll make it to Telford?

Edge

2 hours ago, Edge said:

Thanks Bentwaters. I missed out last time so what with this & the Canberra I think Mel will be taking most of my pocket money! 

Do you know if they'll be available through the website as it's unlikely I'll make it to Telford?

Edge

Yes they will be. Drop Mel a line and reserve them :smile:.

• 2 months later...
20 hours ago, 71chally said:

If S&M committed the Hastings to styrene, that would surely be an absolute winner.

Wouldn't bet on it. If it were guaranteed to be an absolute winner we probably wouldn't be having this conversation!!:winkgrin::lol:. I'd buy it, you'd buy it but I suspect that for a those other than the die hard enthusiast it would be the Handley Page "What?"? Or, Handley Page "Never 'eard of it".:crying:

Allan

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Spoke to Mel about the next batch. The problem does lie with the clear cast resin. Apparently the process requires a minute amount of Mercury. EU regulations forbid this, so an alternative formula is being sought, or he has to wait for Brexit to press on with production. Vac forming is out, it can't be blended with the resin parts, and injection tooling is prohibitive as he would need to produce 1000. So hang in there guys. One way or another Mel will get them out to you.

Meanwhile, I can be getting high by licking my Hastings canopy. :drunk:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Spoke to Mel about the next batch.

...and injection tooling is prohibitive as he would need to produce 1000. So hang in there guys. One way or another Mel will get them out to you.

Surely they could sell at least a 1000 injected Hastings?

I would definitely be up for a pair in injection molded, but can't entertain a whole resin kit.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

Mel thinks not, and tooling costs would be too high. He runs on tight margins. Anyway, it's a nice kit to build, and I have never built resin before.

23 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Surely they could sell at least a 1000 injected Hastings?

I would definitely be up for a pair in injection molded, but can't entertain a whole resin kit.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Latest from Mel yesterday, the clear casting problems have been overcome, and a new run of canopies is imminent. The Hastings will be available shortly.

He had the same problem with the Andover, and they are back on sale.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

As yet unannounced, they are back in stock. Mel is dealing with pre-orders at present. Price is £150. The run was 46 this time then the mould broke. Subject to sales will determine if another mould is made. Buy while you can. Another run will be at least a year away due to the casters commitments. They are done professionally in a centrifuge - hence no air bubbles.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

As yet unannounced, they are back in stock. Mel is dealing with pre-orders at present. Price is £150. The run was 46 this time then the mould broke. Subject to sales will determine if another mould is made. Buy while you can. Another run will be at least  year away due to the casters commitments. They are done professionally in a centrifuge - hence no air bubbles.

There goes my bonus!

Edge