Sea King Questions

1903flight

So my first question on the forum......

Now that I have the new Airfix Sea King HC.4, I have been looking at the other Sea King kits I have in the stash.....

I am looking at doing a building the Revel Sea King MK41 as a RAF HAR3 of 78 SQN in 86/87, so the question is when were the composite rotor blades introduced to the RAF Sea King fleet?

Having looked at many photos - it is not very clear if in the early years of 78 SQN which type of rotor blades were installed. I am fairly certain that when 202 SQN c flight was at Stanley, they still had the original rotor blades.

A second question relates to the introduction of the air flow stake on the rear port fuselage. When were these introduced?

Thanks

James

Can't speak for the crab fleet but the senior service had a mix of composite and metal blades in 84, remember changing blade tape on Mk5 Sea Kings on 820 NAS then, but by mid 86 the Junglie cabs I was on had the new blades.

As for the strake, I've only ever known the Sea Kings have them fitted from 84 on when I started working on them, I do remember the Crab Sea Kings having them at Navy Point in the Falklands late 82.

Doesn't the Revell Mk.41 only come with a 5 bladed tail rotor? HAR.3 would have a 6 blade.

Depends on the boxing. The first boxing only comes with a 5 blade tail rotor, but all the subsequent boxings come with the 6 blade one.

Mark.

Depends on the boxing. The first boxing only comes with a 5 blade tail rotor, but all the subsequent boxings come with the 6 blade one.

Mark.

That explains it then, I have the earlier boxing

Thanks all for the information.

andyf117, good tip to look at the shadows - I will go back over the images.

I have the 45 years of SAR boxing, so it has the six bladed tail rotor.

James