Lightning F6 to F1 wing conversion

WildWeasel

I recently bought the 1/48 Airfix Lightning F1. After assembling the fuselage I started on the wings only to notice that the kit had shipped with F6 'kinked' wings.

I contacted Humbrol cust service without any success.

Other than removing the kinked leading edge section, is there anything else I need to consider?

Thanks

As if removing the kink wasn't going to be difficult enough, the wingtips are also different. On the, F.1/2/3 etc, they taper to a point, but on the F6, the wingtips are flattened off, you can see the difference in these two pictures...

XN768S_3_ArchivWestersoetebier_72.jpg

airliners.net photos removed. Read the rules regarding these.

Personally, I'd persevere with Humbrol...

-Daz

Edited by Greg B

Can't you just return it from where you bought it?

It obviously is a faulty kit....

I bought it from a shop in York which subsequently got hit by the flooding. So im reluctant to go down thst route as these guys must find it a struggle without having to deal with Humbrols incompetence.

• Like 2

I bought it from a shop in York which subsequently got hit by the flooding. So im reluctant to go down thst route as these guys must find it a struggle without having to deal with Humbrols incompetence.

Still can't understand how an F6 set of wings got into an F1-3 kit, was the packaging compromised?

I'd continue with the retailer. They sold it - so the problem is their's.

At least register your complaint, before they use the too late excuse.

Their subsequent problems may be inconvenient, but nothing to do with you.

Say that you're prepared to be patient with them in resolution of the problem.

You need the big ventral tank and twin strakes from the F.6/F.2A to build a F.3A...

-Daz

I thought about which would be easiest - adding the tank or chopping the wings...

Maybe they flew the kinked wing on a F2/F3 Prototype with small belly tank (please!?)

Still can't understand how an F6 set of wings got into an F1-3 kit, was the packaging compromised?

I'd continue with the retailer. They sold it - so the problem is their's.

At least register your complaint, before they use the too late excuse.

Their subsequent problems may be inconvenient, but nothing to do with you.

Say that you're prepared to be patient with them in resolution of the problem.

The kit had tape securing the lid - not sure if this is standard?

Interestingly the shop had about 4 F1/F1A kits, I actually wanted the F6 kit but thought what the heck... got what I wanted sort of.

I'm not going to take it up with the shop.

To be honest it will probably end up as a test bed for spraying NMF.

I thought about which would be easiest - adding the tank or chopping the wings...

Maybe they flew the kinked wing on a F2/F3 Prototype with small belly tank (please!?)

I'm almost certain they did. I'll look in my books and get back to you.

XN725 was an F3 refitted with the kinked F6 type wings. Mentioned in a couple of places online if you google it.

There's also a shot here which says it was landing at Filton (hope the link works).

https://twitter.com/lightningsinfo/status/667287523857580033

It doesn't credit the photo but I hope I'm ok by just linking to it as someone else 'put it out there in the public domain'?

Cheers Bob.

• Like 1

XN725 was an F3 refitted with the kinked F6 type wings. Mentioned in a couple of places online if you google it.

There's also a shot here which says it was landing at Filton (hope the link works).

It doesn't credit the photo but I hope I'm ok by just linking to it as someone else 'put it out there in the public domain'?

Cheers Bob.

Got there before me, that's the one I was thinking of.

Cheers Bob.

Thats fantastic, thanks.

The photo is interesting - the radome appears to have a white sign on it? I've not seen this before.

Also the intake ring appears much duller than ususual, unless this is an effect of the photo.

The airfix kit has the larger tail as well as the F1 version so I should be good to go.