Faulty compressor?

Jusjay

I'm hoping someone can help me...I have a cheap ish compressor which worked really well up until I turned it on today and found that there is a slight gurgling sound, no pressure is building up and no air coming out. The water trap is empty and on tight, the top is all tight also. minotaur-airbrush-compressor-as18-2-13-pIt is similar to the one pictured. TIA

If there is no air coming out and the motor is running, sounds like something broken inside.

If it's within the warranty period, then I'd get in touch with the supplier.

If not, it's probably worth taking the front off to see if you can see anything broken around the drive shaft or piston.

Some spares for these are available, but they are cheap, so it's not worth spending a fortune to get it working.

Paul

• Like 1

In my experience with compressors Jus you cannot win. These things come from China

and the likelihood of getting spares is minus nil that is if you can identify the problem.

By the time you have paid, if you can get spares, and the postage it is not worth

trying. I would not play with these things as when they go wrong they can be lethal.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Airbrush-Compressor-AS18-2-Oil-free-/131015709681?hash=item1e812513f1:g:BmoAAOSwQPlV89k3

This is your best bet and 12 months warranty. £47:40.

Sorry to be such a pessimist but the above is the practical solution and in financial terms the best.

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS

Cheers Laurie I appreciate the reply and agree with you too. That link is the one I have and what I've been looking at again but was hoping there might be a fix as slightly skint after buying a house... Doh!

If it is a capacitor, as it was on mine when I had one, then it's only a few pounds to repair.

To be honest I then purchased a Sparmax and have never looked back, still have the AS-18 as a back up though, and with the quality of the Sparmax would like to think I'll never need it

• Like 1

Having replaced my AS 186 compressor with one from a fridge freezer, I've still got the guts of the old one.

The things to consider are:

If the motor runs, but no pressure builds, then you've got a problem with the check valve.

In the photo, I've removed the heat sink & the valve is the white bit. It's just a cheap nylon affair that gets pushed upwards as the piston forces air against it. If the valve isn't working, all the air will be lost through the cooling vents in the body of the compressor housing.

IMG_20160117_091452.jpg

Test to see the movement of the valve by gently pressing it from under the plate.

IMG_20160117_091348.jpg

If the motor doesn't run, then check the components in the circuit. Obviously the power switch first, then the condenser & the pressure cut-off valve.

If you think it's either the white pressure check valve or the condenser, I can let you have them as I don't use them in my current setup.

Hope this helps

Patrick

Hi Patrick thanks for your response. The white valve, should it move easily? Mine doesn't move very much so maybe it's that if it should move better?

No, it should be quite difficult to move. I think that in operation it probably only raises up by 1 millimetre or so. The valve on mine is quite stiff, so yours sounds ok.

It's the gurgling noise that's got me wondering too!

Usually we associate that kind of sound with water, but in certain circumstances it could apply to airflow as well.

If the motor runs, I would remove the heatsink to reveal the plate beneath, as seen in the photo I posted earlier. Then I'd use the bolts to secure the plate without the heatsink.

Run the compressor & see if air is passing through the check valve.

If it isn't, then the problem is definitely that valve. If it is, then there must be a leak somewhere along the chain, perhaps in the pressure regulator.

• Like 1

Right plate attached and there is air passing through.

Edit - its working! I'm wondering what it was but maybe the valve was tight or something but it is building pressure agaiN! Thank you for your help

Edited by Jusjay

It's sounding more & more like the valve is sticking.

The flow of air from the piston isn't that strong & if the valve sticks all the air will be lost through the cooling vents.

Here's a way to check this. Cover all but one of the vents with tape. Run the compressor & put a fingertip over the open vent. If you can feel air escaping, then the valve is sticking.

• Like 1

It's sounding more & more like the valve is sticking.

The flow of air from the piston isn't that strong & if the valve sticks all the air will be lost through the cooling vents.

Here's a way to check this. Cover all but one of the vents with tape. Run the compressor & put a fingertip over the open vent. If you can feel air escaping, then the valve is sticking.

The vents being the small holes surrounding the valve? I sometimes works but takes a while to kick in so to speak. I'll test those out tomorrow morning, thanks mate. We will get this solved! (Hopefully! :) )