Dragon Models 1/35 AT-AT

Maybe it is just me or, I am completely missing the point somehow but, are people actually complaining about "inaccuracies" in models of subjects that actually do not even exist in real life ?. :mental:. What next? I can just imagine Dragon issuing a 1/35 scale Smaug only to have it condemned as "fatally flawed" and "wholly inaccurate" because his tail was "dimensionally incorrect" :lol:

Allan

(shaking his head but keeping tongue firmly in cheek!)

ps - I would actually like a 1/35 scale Smaug!

Edited by Albeback52

Hold on a minute... that's a snow speeder you can't have that in 1:35, it flies and isn't a helicopter so it should be 1:32...

• Like 2

Look how awesome the "real" Snowspeeder looks thou, with its shorter nose it just looks right, its a really good design, proportionally correct to itself. To build anything in 1/35 Star Wars and not get it looking right is SUCH a MASSIVE wasted opportunity. Who wants to be known as the company that did some 1/35 kits years ago, but now theres better ones.. so no-one cares.. or.. be known as a LEGEND, a company that nailed it and gained HUGE respect, by building models that might one day be equalled, but NEVER be surpassed, models that will sell forever!

:hobbyhorse:

In the future, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and build a more accurate kit, tell your competitiors that they may make good kits, but they'll never take your market share as you are STAR WARS LEGENDS!!!

Smaug's not all that big, Wikipedia states that it's about 20 to 25 meters long.

So that would make it 750mm in 1:35. Or should that be 1:32 as it flies and isn't a helicopter😂

AT-AT versus Smaug would look ok, if you had the space!!!

Oh thats not too big then, id seen the "130 meters in length" and "bigger than two jumbo jets" :yikes: pre production ideas, AT-AT vs Smaug would look good but i fear the AT-AT would look like a Salmon being taken by an Eagle!

Edited by BobSolo

Nah, the AT-AT is supposed to be 15m to 20m tall. They look like a crazy mash up on the old godzila movies.

• Like 1

Considering that the AT-ST is just a clay mock-up, any attempt to portray internal detail is impossible at this stage. Perhaps once it's cast in styrene we'll have a better idea of the kits full features.

However, as most 1/35 armour kits have little or no internal detail, I wouldn't hold my breath. The possible lack will be addressed by AM manufacturers I suppose.

Considering that the AT-ST is just a clay mock-up, any attempt to portray internal detail is impossible at this stage. Perhaps once it's cast in styrene we'll have a better idea of the kits full features.

However, as most 1/35 armour kits have little or no internal detail, I wouldn't hold my breath. The possible lack will be addressed by AM manufacturers I suppose.

Well, it's probably a 3D printed mock-up, but it's not clay. I'd expect opening hatches at the very least. The 1/48 Bandai realease came with a full cockpit so it would be very disappointing if Dragon couldn't manage the same in 1/35

Andy

• Like 1

Re Snowspeeder: If its done in a 3D Program, it should be easy for Dragon to still make changes. If they can slide the mount for the front of the gunbarrel up to meet the side of the cockpit (ref: http://caps.pictures/198/0-starwars5/full/star-wars5-movie-screencaps.com-2915.jpg) that should (along with straighter gun barrels) also toe-in the gun barrels.

I also noticed that the front barrel ends on the life size prop did have some slight recessed details on them (ref: http://caps.pictures/198/0-starwars5/full/star-wars5-movie-screencaps.com-2911.jpg )

http://caps.pictures/198/0-starwars5/full/star-wars5-movie-screencaps.com-2986.jpg

How cool is that view out the window, what a cool design! Hopefully at this early stage of the design ( these arnt in Phase one ) Dragon can make changes and shorten the front end too, id love to have two of them, but only if they are more accurate.

Edited by BobSolo

http://caps.pictures/198/0-starwars5/full/star-wars5-movie-screencaps.com-3502.jpg

http://caps.pictures/198/0-starwars5/full/star-wars5-movie-screencaps.com-3499.jpg

Your right the sunroof is quite big on the life size prop above and on the model used below.

http://caps.pictures/198/0-starwars5/full/star-wars5-movie-screencaps.com-3166.jpg

When measured in pic above, the sloping front of the cockpit canopy is only slightly shorter than the front ends length. That should be easy to fix in a 3D program AND it will save plastic making them cheaper to manufacture! Its a WIN - WIN for everyone! :thumbsup:

Edited by BobSolo
  • Like 1

That's one of the reasons I don't get too worried about absolute fidelity with the studio models. Most of the time they didn't exactly match the detailing on the full size props

Andy

I personally consider it the other way around. 'Full scale' set props are usually undersized (IIRC the TESB Falcon set prop) was 80%). The filming models are what you watch most of the time on screen- the set props are there for people to walk around and dive context to. The Lambda Shuttle had a lot of distortions to get it built on stage and those construction blueprints were circulated creating a lot of disinformation about it's cockpit and overall shape.

Sometimes a company pulls it's references from multiple sources, striving for a happy medium. Revell's TOS Enterprise incorporates info even from the animated series, unfortunately this results in a model kit that does not look like any particular version of the ship.

From what I have read, it seems Dragon has been using sources from books and online blueprints instead of visiting the actual model and taking measurements. Things do look off on the Snowspeeder proportions, I hope this will be corrected before molds are tooled. I would love to have an accurate 1/35 replica of this craft.

Oh dear, i got quite excited at the thought of a massive Dragon Falcon, but if this lil one is the way of the future im loosing interest fast.

Help me oBandai wan kenobi you're my only hope.

Edited by BobSolo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like the scale Dragon is using but the accuracy of some of these kits bothers me. as mentioned up-thread, These are well known subjects with a lot of references available, being produced for a public who knows the differences.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I know no release dates of any of the kits has been officially announced.

Personally I do hope it will not be soon and these are digitally printed test pieces- that way there is some chance of having the various problems corrected before tooling.

I opened another Bandai Snowspeeder today before adding it to my stash and in 1/48 it was bigger than i remembered and i was blown away by just how cool the kit looked and then it hit me just how bad this Dragon one is. The Snowspeeder design is just awesome, it has to be done right, i really hope Dragon get it right before production.

Having said that if the price of Dragons awfull 1/44 Falcon is anything to go by this Snowspeeder, good or not, will probably cost the moon!