Dragon Models 1/35 AT-AT

• 2 weeks later...

In 1/35 it would be roughly 17.5 inches high and 23.25 inches long if you use the measurements in the Star Wars: Complete Vehicles, Incredible Cross-Sections book.

In the cross sections book the dimensions of the AT-AT is 15.5 meters ( 50.9ft ) high and 20.6 meters ( 67.6ft ) long.

They are indeed, and the same dimensions are quoted in The Essential Guide to Vehicles. Wookiepedia quote a hight of 22.5m and a length of 20m, and the Official Star Wars site give a similar (if slightly vague dimension).

Personally (and it is only my opinion), I think the 15.5 hight is more likely (considering that we're dealing with something that doesn't exist at full size anyway). The size on Wookiepedia shows it as being higher than it is long, and that's not the case. It's definitely longer than it is high, so I think the measurements have gotten a bit mixed up over the years.

We'll see what Dragon have used as the correct size when it's released, although whatever it is, I'm sure plenty of people will still say it's wrong

Andy

Edited by AndyRM101
  • Like 1

Is it me, or do those feet on the AT-AT in that link seem a bit too small for 1/35 when compared to the size of the figures next to them?

1zToC.jpg

Or am i just showing that luke was a bit on the short side... ? :)

Of all the original trilogy machines, this and a Super Star Destroyer are the only subjects I really want.

MH

• Like 2

Is it me, or do those feet on the AT-AT in that link seem a bit too small for 1/35 when compared to the size of the figures next to them?

1zToC.jpg

Or am i just showing that luke was a bit on the short side... ? :)

Of all the original trilogy machines, this and a Super Star Destroyer are the only subjects I really want.

MH

I think that's the problem. There probably aren't two shots in the film that show the same relative dimensions. All those shots were composited, and I doubt the people doing it were spending that much time worrying if everything looked exactly to scale from one shot to the next.

The shot of the downed AT-AT that Rey uses as a shelter in TFA make it look tiny. I think they used a little too much forced perspective on the AT-AT

Who can say how big it really should be. All the quoted sizes are a result of someone at Lucas Film just saying "Yeah, we'll say it's this hight"

As long as the Dragon release looks reasonably correct I'll be happy (not that I'm going to be able to afford one, so I don't know why I'm saying that :weep: )

Andy

• Like 1

I'll certainly try & get one, but where the hell I'd put it I have no idea. I'm hoping for a more reasonably scaled one too, just so I have a modern tooling of the old AT-AT :)

Dragon Models have also said that they would be doing an AT-AT in 1/144 or roughly 108mm high by 143mm long. Should look good next to my Fine Molds Falcon kit in the same scale.

I am trying to imagine the decision-making process at Dragon that led to this. Perhaps it went something like the following:

BOSS: Good news! We got the Star Wars model licence. We can start planning our new range.

MINION: Excellent news, boss. So what do you have in mind?
B: Well, we do a lot of 1/35 scale stuff, people love nice big detailed models, so at least one must be at that scale.
M: I couldn't agree more! Obviously that should be one of the smaller items, say a snow-speeder or X-wing or...
B: The AT-AT!
M: ....
B: Our customers would love a 1/35 Imperial Walker!
M: Um, boss, won't it be a bit, er, big?
N: That's just the point! Now, find out how big an AT-AT is meant to be.
M: [Pokes at tablet] Er, starwars.com says 22.5 metres high.
B: So at 1/35 that will be...?
M: [sighs] Sixty-four centimetres.
B: Make it so! Ha, that's a Star Wars reference, isn't it?
M: Actually, boss, that's Star *Trek*.
B: Oh - hmm, how big would a 1/35 USS Enterprise be?

M: [Flees]

Edited by MajorClanger
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

It's humongous:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CVX6RKUXIAAtYIC.jpg:large

Expect a price to match.....I really, really hope I'm wrong, but I suspect this one will be second-mortgage materiel! :shutup:

Hmmm! My rent is paid fortnightly & I get two rent free fortnights per year. Wonder if the local council will mind if I take them in advance!! Should cover the cost! :lol:

Allan

• 2 weeks later...

1/35 AT-AT is rather big, but certainly has merit. What I don't understand is all these other kits in 1/144 (instead of in 1/72 or 1/48)? The 1/144 models would make good key chains, but little else.

Even if they want to avoid competing with other brands, I don't see the market for these things. What am I missing here?

I can see making the ATAT 1/35 works with the existing armor lines and diorama stuff, but it is larger than studio scale.

Personally I think matching it to studio scale would be both easier to duplicate the detailing and open up the market for those who really love and recreate studio scale replicas instead of going with other stock sizes...

I see Dragon are now teasing what appears to be 1:35 snow speeder.