Dragon Models 1/35 AT-AT

Hmm - all this discussion reminds me on the Dragon real space kits, especially the 1:48 CSM and the 1:72 Saturn V. I was verrrry exited about them but then more and more inaccuracies came up. Finally I did not buy any of their new tool kits as they need lots of work and/or aftermarket stuff to make them right. Which is strange as there are excellent drawings easily available of these subjects. Quite beyond me how this can happen.

I guess the only reason why Dragon did not receive a (well deserved) sort-of-Trumpyboss-bashing is that only relatively few people seem to be interested in real space stuff.

Regarding "are people actually complaining about "inaccuracies" in models of subjects that actually do not even exist in real life ?" (post #51): First the subjects certainly exist in real life: As props or as 3D files. :D

Second: Why should a model of a model not be "accurate"? In fact the problem is that many subjects from the movies are based on more than just one model (see the Millenium Falcon) and even these all original filming miniatures are differenig from each other so rivet-counting is put to a higher level instead of a lower one... :devil:

But I agree to some point - at least I am fine if the whole model looks like the one in the films. I think it is the case with the FM Falcon even if it is not so super accurate as was thought in the beginning. I even added details which are not screen-accurate but will make the final model a bit more interesting (etched grilles). Regarding the new Revell X-wings I cannot help it but they look quite wrong to me.

So let's see what hits the shelfs and what the kit reviews will show :popcorn:

Rene

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

They went very quiet after the kicking they got on social media, wouldn't surprise me if they have abandoned the project.

It would seem some of us Star Wars modellers are as bad if not worse that the Aircraft modeller rivet counters!!!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Madmonk said:

They went very quiet after the kicking they got on social media, wouldn't surprise me if they have abandoned the project.

It would seem some of us Star Wars modellers are as bad if not worse that the Aircraft modeller rivet counters!!!

Considering all the photobucket links no longer work i wasn't sure how bad these would be...having found the pics it's astonishing how something so iconic and well-recognized as the AT-ST could end up with such a high quality yet entirely innaccurate model. Not quite sure what the problem with the AT-AT is other than the dimensions, though.

3 hours ago, Madmonk said:

It's not the silent majority (as with most hobbies), it's rather the vocal minority that are toxic toward anything they don't consider to be up to scratch, and don't have the social skills to make their criticism civil and constructive.  I've seen people and companies hounded out of existence because of it, and at the moment there's a rather toxic subset of the fandom of Rick & Morty (a silly cartoon I like) that is so awful it wouldn't surprise me if the creators cancelled the show because of it.  It goes on everywhere, sadly. :shrug: 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Mike said:

It's not the silent majority (as with most hobbies), it's rather the vocal minority that are toxic toward anything they don't consider to be up to scratch, and don't have the social skills to make their criticism civil and constructive.  I've seen people and companies hounded out of existence because of it, and at the moment there's a rather toxic subset of the fandom of Rick & Morty (a silly cartoon I like) that is so awful it wouldn't surprise me if the creators cancelled the show because of it.  It goes on everywhere, sadly. :shrug: 

I think that is being somewhat unfair to the community at large, in blaming them for this particular business decision. For the last several years, Dragon has been pulling back from plastic kits in general, in all areas. Given that, it is not too surprising that the Star Wars line never came to pass, and likely never will. Releases in all areas, from armor, to aircraft and ships, have greatly dwindled the last few years. The people that worked on it with them, will tell you a 1/700 CVN-65 Enterprise kit has been finished for several years, but was never released. Is this changing market conditions that made it unviable, a change in Dragon business plans, or is it just because big 'ol Dragon is scared of the internets? I kind of doubt the latter. 

Frankly, I think they have done enough to hurt their own reputation. They have gotten lazy and sloppy, and it is not 'toxic' to call a spade a spade - the 1/35 Black Label armor releases were a lazy, sloppy effort, riddled with errors that basic research would have prevented. The M-103 kits are all but a caricature of the real machines...and hobbyists and armor experts had offered Dragon constructive advice on correcting the kits during production. They weren't interested, and released them as full price, high dollar kits, despite serious flaws. And I will not feel bad for calling them out on that. 

Before anyone asks "Well, you got a plastic 1/35 M-103; isn't that better than nothing?'. In this case, the answer is beyond a doubt NO. Not only is their kit a mess, it has likely discouraged any other manufacturer from attempting it. Because there is now a kit out there, no matter how poor in quality it is. Which counts for a lot in today's diminished plastic model hobby. 

• Like 2

On 23/10/2017 at 12:46, Mike said:

I absolutely agree with this.

There has been a worrying trend from some to kick off based on dodgy photos on the 'tinternet which they don't know the provenance is unforgiveable. One just has took at the Airfix 1/48 Mustang kit on the Rumourmonger a kit I won't wont buy because its not my barra. But the critcism levelled at the kit from an indvidual that does not have the kit in hand is an low extremely low blow.

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

• 2 months later...
On 23/10/2017 at 12:46 PM, Mike said:

I would absolutely agree with this if it weren't Dragon we're talking about.....But after the way they have behaved over the years they thoroughly deserve it.  :mellow:

I feel like zvezda really hit a home run with their star destroyer, and it saw huge success when they sold them to revel for reboxing. Maybe given that, they’ll see the need to make at least a 1/72 AT-AT, if not a 1/35

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Station said:

I feel like zvezda really hit a home run with their star destroyer, and it saw huge success when they sold them to revel for reboxing. Maybe given that, they’ll see the need to make at least a 1/72 AT-AT, if not a 1/35

I would very much prefer 1:72 anyway. Maybe 1:48 to go with Bandais Snow Speeder as a costly extra.

• 1 year later...
22 hours ago, TheVoidDragon said:

Whatever happened with this and them having the Star Wars license? Can't find anything about it!

There's nothing to find, because it never happened. And is unlikely ever to. Dragon probably decided the costs were prohibitive, and the company has greatly pulled back from plastic models of all kinds the last 5 years or so. 

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Asmodai said:
On 10/7/2019 at 1:38 AM, TheVoidDragon said:

There's nothing to find, because it never happened. And is unlikely ever to. Dragon probably decided the costs were prohibitive, and the company has greatly pulled back from plastic models of all kinds the last 5 years or so. 

Yeah they stopped all their marvel models which was a shame they were good fun 

• Sad 1