Painting Spinners

Lancbuilder219

I have recently started building WW2 German aircraft - namely Ju87 and Bf109.

Both have multi-coloured spinners and despite trying I cannot figure out a way to get a decent result.

Anyone have any tips?

If you mean the spiral-types, the easiest way is probably to use decals from after-market sources.

The quartered ones can be done with masking tape. And patience. Lots of patience...

The one that is causing me the biggest headache is a Matchbox Ju87 G model. The spinner has three coloured bands - black/green then black and finally white. The stripes are vertical and even the thinnest strips of Tamiya tape are all over the place!

One way is to punch holes in a piece of stiff card or plastic card.

One hole the size of the spinner to the inner part of the inner ring. Push the spinner into the hole; paint. Then a smaller hole for the outer ring. Push the spinner into this hole and paint from there to the tip.

• Like 1

One way is to punch holes in a piece of stiff card or plastic card.

One hole the size of the spinner to the inner part of the inner ring. Push the spinner into the hole; paint. Then a smaller hole for the outer ring. Push the spinner into this hole and paint from there to the tip.

You can also use the plastic circle templates that are sold in art shops & stationers.

• Like 1

get a piece of masking tape a little bit wider than the spinner is tall, if you get my meaning. start to wrap it slowly round the spinner and you soon notice it starts to 'climb' up towards the 'top' (pointy end) of the spinner. as it does so start (and continue) to trim it off at the top, pretending all the while that you think you can properly mask it (it looks a bit rough but don't worry). keep going round, all the while TRYING (but never really succeeding) in masking it nicely, just do it as best you can until it is wrapped all over and round. trim the tape off at the base and stand the spinner on a flat surface. take a fine liner pen, laid on the table pointing at the taped spinner at the height you wish one of the bands to be, then mark all round the taped spinner. just try one line to start with, then peel the tape off and lay it flat on a cutting mat. you will see, as if by magic, a reasonable representation of part of the circular curve that just got marked on the tape when on the spinner. work out approximatly what the radius is, then use a sharp compass cutter on a new, good piece of tape. this can now be re-applied to the spinner as a mask and will give a nearly perfect level line. using 2 slightly different radii you can make thin strips that can, with practice, be made to conform beautifully round spinners, although it takes a little practice. once you've tried it you'll soonsee how it works, and you can, by taping up roughly as before,draw a spiral spinner, then cut it out on a mat, then re-apply the spiral.. works nicely, I'll attach some pictures when I get a minute, hope this helps, it was someone elses idea, (naturally) who explained it far better than I but I hope it's of use JD