Priming parts on the sprue

Buddyboy12

Nube question coming up!

What do you knowledgable folks do about priming parts on the sprue? Should I prime everything on the sprues before dry fitting, glueing and filling? Or should I just prime the small parts that are going to be finish(ish) painted on the sprue? Do you prime surfaces that are to be glued or do you mask/ scrape of paint after?

Apologies for the stupid questions😳

Edited by Buddyboy12

No such thing as a stupid question, answer are a different matter ;)

For both aircraft & armour I prime the completed model. Priming or painting the parts on the sprue just means a lot of scraping to ensure a good joint when gluing.

But if your usual paint is Vallejo, then it might be worth hitting the sprues with primer & leaving the kit for a couple of days. This will allow the primer to cure & prevent any paint rubbing off during handling.

Due to the need to sand off mould seams, sprue attachment points and ejector pin marks etc prior to assembly, and fill joints after assembly, I find assembling the kit as far as practical is prior to any painting is best. For me, just how much assembly is done prior to painting is driven by access and masking requirements.

As you've noted, you get primer on the mating surfaces which needs to be cleaned off prior to assembly.

Not sure why you would want to prime on the sprue tbh, best to prime the completed build before you commit to the final finish,

Priming not only helps with the top coat of paint but shows any imperfections in the build such as a gluey finger print or an area that requires more sanding after filling.

Dan

Not sure why you would want to prime on the sprue tbh, best to prime the completed build before you commit to the final finish,

Priming not only helps with the top coat of paint but shows any imperfections in the build such as a gluey finger print or an area that requires more sanding after filling.

Dan

What he said. I've moved away from priming prior to assembly for this reason.