Fairey Fox - ongoing questions for ongoing build.....

mackem01

Having started my build project and reviewing my references, I have noticed I am devoid of a cockpit shot. I have a couple of

very good cutaways that I can get details from but these give no indication of colours. Failing a picture would any interwar officianado like speculate on colouring? I would assume red dope fabric, japaned black metal structure, and varnished wood.

If anyone would like to pitch in.........any advice greatly accepted.

Thanks for the pic Andy, but I'm not convinced it's a Fox for a number of reasons. The main ones being the shape of the cockpit coaming, where the struts meet the fuselage (too far back), the control column is wrong (the Fox had a plain stick column), and also the pic shows the aircraft with a venturi on the stbd side (Foxes did not have this as far as I'm aware.

Sorry to be a buzz-kill, I do appreciate your endeavours though.

Cheers.......

I would say yes. Contemporary aircraft such as the Grebe and Gamecock used the Sutton Harness Mk.IV, as did the Bulldog. There is a note on the Mk. IV fitted to the Grebe which says "No forwards release" so the harness fixing would go down the back of the seat as in the Hawker Tomtit. . The gunner would probably just have a 'monkey chain'.

John

I think Ian Huntley did a Column on the Fox, possibly in two instalments, way back when in SAM. Imprecise as always, but I'd guess that if IRC, it must have been somewhere in Vol.'s 8 to 13, as those were the ones I obtained earliest. Not much help probably ;-)

Your quite right Tempestfan, he did do a two-parter and I've got my mitts on it, and it helped alot. But as a "short run" aircraft it doesn't seem

greatly documented. Apart from SAM and Aeroplane Monthly there's nothing else of substance in print.

Hi!

I found a photo of what is alleged to be a Fairey Fox cockpit; not being much of an authority on 'tween the wars aircraft, I'm not going tio stick my neck out and say it is a Fox, but I imagine you or one of the forum experts can confirm. I have listed the link below- scroll down the article to see the cockpit photo. . Hope this is helpful to you and your build.

Mike

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?23077-How-to-recognize-a-Spitfire-spade-grip