Wing nut Wings SE5a WIP

sthewitt

Just when I think I can start with the main painting I come across some other bits to sort out. These are the control surface pulley inspection windows on the wings and tail. We start with my CDL mix, followed by gloss coat…..

24463754379_55b04c9389_c.jpg

Then some shading with citadel agrax earthshade…...

24805145616_d29601a0cf_c.jpg

Detail painting of the surrounding wooden structure and the pulley system……..

24535873680_a845a93842_c.jpg

And finally the inspection window.

24203216824_51893fe452_c.jpg

Edited by sthewitt
  • Like 2

Just a bit of a diversion whilst the main painting is going on. This is from Martin Hille of Kellerkind miniatures in Germany and might get used with the SE5 if put it on a base. The sculpting and animation are first rate: -

http://www.zinnfiguren-martin-hille.de

It's the RFC pilot with his dog - looking at the site today this particular figure isn't listed but maybe an email to Martin would help out if you wanted one. Maybe it's between production runs?

24751812832_bbb28dcbd6_c.jpg

Starting with the painting of the undersides. This is Humbrol matt linen, (it looks ok in the photo but to the eye I think its a bit too yellow - but it will have some more layers where I'll lighten it a bit). I had a muppet moment when I hung the ailerons on the top wing upside down and painted the topsides CDL - must be age creeping up with me…….

Anyway this is a good base layer which has had a couple of light coats and rubbed down between with a foam finishing pad which I get from Halfords to get rid of any specks of dust.

24843444916_7c48e139f2_c.jpg

Edited by sthewitt
  • Like 2

Hi Steve,

You're doing great work on the SE5.a. :popcorn:

The IP looks great as does all the work you have put into the cockpit - well done!

I will be keeping a periodic eyeball on this thread :ninja:

Cheers,

BVB

Bob thanks - and thanks also for the buckles received safely last week for this project. I'm looking forward to using them.

Steve

On with the undersides: masking off the rib tapes and another coat of lightened mix of Humbrol linen.

24929667386_01ed2104e0_c.jpg

After a rub down with the finishing pad and a light protective coat of Humbrol glosscote - I find that the light colours tend to show scratches and scuffs more than darker ones so the glosscote protects from the handling the model will get during topside painting.

24929667316_1fc8ea0a53_c.jpg

Edited by sthewitt
  • Like 2

On with the top coat of PC10. I'll lighten this a bit in between the wing rib tapes next. I've left the painting round the cockpit and cowling to minimise damage from handling whilst I'm finishing the wings. I've also added the fin rib missing from the kit - thanks to Tony P for the photo earlier in the thread.

25058632281_1751af44dc_c.jpg

Edited by sthewitt
  • Like 1

There are only a dozen or so decals but the fuselage roundels and codes are tricky as they have to go over the stitching. Its a good job I've got a good stock of microsol. Actually the decals from Cartograph are their usual high quality and whilst I used set under all the decals, the sol was used very sparingly as they are thin and I was wary of overdoing it and ruining them.

25132346492_b991d18da9_c.jpg

25251350875_cef3995073_c.jpg

Edited by sthewitt
  • Like 1

A wash to pop out some of the detail particularly around the stitching and cowlings. I've then highlighted the individual stitches themselves. I'm not going to go overboard with the weathering on this one. With hindsight I would have painted the squadron ID flash as it's too big when compared with my photo of the machine: it actually did not extend over the top of the stitching but I'm not going to mess around with it now.

24720853204_5113b632dc_c.jpg

24983460109_9804afeb0f_c.jpg

• Like 2

• 7 months later...