ALDI - Airfix Kits

Badvest

Must check out my local Aldis tomorrow. There's three of them locally. Hopefully they'll have dropped the prices. They hadn't last week. I need more P51s and Spitfires and Hurricanes. ......

A colleague told me about these today. He lives somewhere near Ludlow on the Welsh border.

Tried telling me he'd made the Spitfire when he was a lad.

I told him the Spitfire in the offer was 2010 at the earliest - and a VAST improvement on the (probably 1955) kit he'd made.

Also of my plan (this was 2014) to repaint my first Spitfire with one underwing black, which was rendered nugatory when my local Aldi sold their remaining stock at half price. I bought and built another - well it would have been rude not to!

Just did my shopping at my local Aldi in Manchester, scored Hurricane and Tomahawk starter sets for less than a fiver each. They still had Gnats and Mustangs in stock but as I already have multiples of these in the stash already I didn't indulge. So keep looking guys they are still out there in the shops!

Selwyn

• 6 months later...

Well the offer has finally reached us here in the Antipodes. An Aldi I went to here in South Australia today had, the Spitfire, Zero, Tomahawk, Gnat and the Tank for $12.50 each!

Marvelous.

Steve

Just looked at the receipt and it was actually $12.99.

Edited by bradleygolding

How can it be that Aldi all over the world sells Airfix - but not here in their homecountry ??? I feel seriously circumvented...

Hi Tempestfan

my local(ish) Aldi had a few last summer but they were all jets or cars, neither of which I usually build so I passed. According to the staff they shifted the Mustang, Kittyhawk and Spitfire sets at about a dozen a time. I can't remember the price exactly but it was in the region of £4 a pop. Gutted I missed them then and no doubt I will miss them this year too :weep:

DC

I only knew that Aldi stocked them as specials because of the original poster of this thread, and as Aldi have opened stores here in Australia I have wandered in every so often just to check. They do of course have some quite good other stuff as well.

Steve

Aldi are/were only offering wooden ship kits in West Oz.

Nice compressor airbrush kit and a decent ultrasonic cleaner. Various tools which had little appeal to me, but ok if quality checked.m

How can it be that Aldi all over the world sells Airfix - but not here in their homecountry ??? I feel seriously circumvented...

It's never an enduring seller - they get a bunch of kits in and then when they're gone they're gone (until next time). It's the same with a lot of their seasonal items and tools, electronics etc.

Unfortunately there isn't an Aldi in Townsville, but I got (more than) several Starter kits last year when I was living in Sydney. Spitfires, P-51s, Zeroes, and even a tank! They are all new tool and all still unbuilt!

Edited for atrocious spelling!

Edited by DennisTheBear

• 1 year later...

Happening again this year - plenty in Aldi Stirling, mostly Spitfire 1a, Bf109E, Provost, Cromwell and Victory, all 'Starter Kits'.

They appear to be several £'s cheaper than direct from Airfix so worth a look.

Isn't this what Airfix did all those years ago with 'bagged' kits in Woolworths?? It's deja vu for some of us!.

Won t be much longer before Airfix will be paying YOU to take their kits    Seems Airfix know something that we dont?  So many half price kits in high street stores, traders on here with half price sales, no advent calender, no announcement at Telford...............looks like Airfix is trying to get money from anyplace it can just to keep running,

20 minutes ago, rayprit said:

Won t be much longer before Airfix will be paying YOU to take their kits    Seems Airfix know something that we dont?  So many half price kits in high street stores, traders on here with half price sales, no advent calender, no announcement at Telford...............looks like Airfix is trying to get money from anyplace it can just to keep running,

Not airfix as such but asda are selling brand new hornby train sets and scalextirc sets at £40 each. Can't see where the profit is in these.

Phil