If Airfix were to re-tool more of their old kits, what should they be?

Scott_

Buccaneer in 48th! (although I've decided I've waited long enough for a replacement and have finally gone and got the old one off ebay, as I just had to have one - and if it's as bad as everyone says, maybe it'll be a sort of 'right of passage').

Lightning F3/F6 in 48th. It's a national icon and deserves to have a modern tool job done of it. I've realised the spine thing can be fixed but it'd be even better if it was spot on from the start. Real live examples available at Brunty.

Harrier in 24th scale. Would be just awesome with the same level of detail as the new Typhoon kits.

But this wasn't a retool, the subject of this thread

The subject of this thread is "If Airfix were to re-tool more of their old kits, what should they be?" I simply answered that question - since the Yak-9 is one of Airfix's old kits, I would like to see them re-tool it. Others in this thread have suggested the same.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

A most interesting thread!

Just to remind (boring, I know) Airfix have stated that their 'core' era is late 30's to mid Cold War. I forget their exact wording but forget ultra modern types, but then perhaps they wouldn't be re-tools.

That said any subject must have either a) Quality engineering drawings or B) An extant example that can be measured: doesn't have to be (and some cannot for various reasons) LIDAR scanned c) Manufacturers' own computer images.

So forget Stirling, Whirlwind fighter and quite a few others.

As for the Russian subjects, you are more likely to see Zvezda produce a Scimitar than Airfix a Yak-9....

with the work of the Whirlwind fighter project,a whirlwind could well and truly be done,the drawings are being done now and metal has been cut on a new build whirlwind.....and i'm pretty sure they would be happy to work with a model manufacturer...as for the your pretty much right and i think you could add the beaufort to that list.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Airfix%2003004-1%20Bucc%20IV.JPG

Air%20T4%20Spitfire%20VB.JPG

Airfix%2010030%20Widgegd.JPG

Please!!!, cant understand why they havent given us a newtool spit vb/ vc in 72nd-airfix must have an aversion to our cash, the buccanear would be a huge money spinner too , ah well keep my cash in my wallet- oh look an airfix shack and kate and wildcat and spitfire mk1 and victor- you never save cash with airfix.

They'll be releasing the Spitfire Mk.Va around August 2016 so hopefully a Vb too as, for an unknown bias I can't name, I'm not one for the Tamiya kit.

• Like 1

I just have to mention this kits...

F-86D Sabre

F-84G Thunderstreak

Super Mystere

And of course...

The Mirage III

That's F-84F Thunderstreak but otherwise I'm in full agreement with your list.

I'm not sure whether Airfix ever released the Heller F-84G Thunderjet when they were linked up.

Edited by Wez

The post doesn't specify aircraft so given the surprising lack of a decent Crusader tank in 1:35 I would like an Airfix retool.

Okay it is 1:32, and that would do but if they could resize it to 1:35 that would be excellent.

Cheers,

Nigel

That's a bit mean, don't you think? :nono:

I believe his drawings were used as a main refrence for the Valiant, and we all know how that's been received accuracy-wise. Likewise I recall his P-47 drawings depicting the guns along the wings' centerline as opposed to parallel to the ground.

I know it will never happen but here's my dream list of re-tooled 1/144 airliners:

Boeing 737-200 with Adv engines and other Adv modifications;

DC-9 with proper lobe crease and decent engines;

B727-200 with accurate cockpit, fin and engines;

BAC 1-11 with production nose and wing fences;

Trident 1 with proper wing/fuselage fairings and offset nose wheel;

Vanguard with accurate nose and decent engines;

DC-10 with corrected window line and proper sit of engines;

Boeing 707 with corrected nose and engines and joint between upper and lower wing halves moved to the underside

Comet 4B with just about everything improved.

It goes without saying that all these kits will have exquisite detail which will be so wonderful that even Zvezda won't be able to compete.

Apart from scribed detail I wouldn't re-tool the Caravelle or the A300 both of which are pretty good as they stand, particularly the A300 although it does need the aircon packs added.

The Tristar and the B747 are both beyond redemption and Airfix should just bin them. There are better kits available from Eastern Express (yes really) and Revell respectively. Likewise the 1/144 Concorde is inferior to the Revell kit.

Meanwhile in the real world ..........

• Like 1

For me it would have to be the following,

SA330 Puma 72nd Scale and 48th Scale

Hercules RAF version including the Defence Suite 72nd Scale

Buccaneer 72nd Scale and 48th Scale

Westland Whirlwind 72nd Scale

Westland Gazelle 72nd Scale and 48th Scale

Comet / Nimrod 144th Scale

Westland Lynx 72nd Scale

One can dream can't one. If my wish list was to be satisfied could they not be released in the same year don't know if my bank balance could handle it.

I have a soft spot for the RAF vehicle sets, Emergency, Recovery and refueller but although many would like to see it in 72nd scale, compatible to their new Re-supply set, I think ONLY TWO vehicle currently that are really of use i.e. AEC Matador tanker and Amazon crane, the rest are post-war or in the case of the Bedford tractor unit really to small.

I think the Bedford QL needs a new body, already done; QL-D + QL-T twin set, Austin K6 needs a new body, several to choose from, Ambulance wrong for RAF use.

Would be nice to see a BRAND new set of vehicles rather than re-released items

Aircraft

Stirling, Halifax and Sunderland