1/32 Matchbox DH-82 Tiger Moth

Rob1970

Here's my entry for a wonderful GB on yet another forum which theme is; "The name of the subject needs to have an animal in it...". The options are endless, and I decided to dive into the stash and grab one of my antiques.

And I have plenty of antiques to chose from...20160110_134123_zpsuo5ywoxm.jpg

But only one that ticks all of my -and- all of the GBs boxes...20160110_134340_zpsptjt8e8t.jpg

Matchbox kit? Check.

1/32 scale, and thus a nice big canvas to work with? Check.

Room for improvement with minimal scratchbuilding? Check.

Fits into the GB? TRRRRRIPLE CHECK BABY!!

Tiger >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger

M
oth >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moth

T
iger Moth >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden_tiger_moth

It's three times the animal it needs to be! biggrin.gif tongue.gif

Yummy multicolour box content. Matchbox was doing MCP before it was cool. Eat that, Academy!20160110_134350_zps64eyz6tn.jpg

Decal sheet... and they look like they might (being very cautious here...) still be usable...
20160110_134412_zpsp9woidvz.jpg

Trees... lovely crisp parts, no hint of flash on anything. One of the advantages of using an early boxing!
20160110_134614_zpse2qcfyln.jpg

I -had- one of the Revell reboxes in the stash, and that one had a lot more flash and sinkmarks. And even if it didn't have a decal option for the floatplane version, it did have a nice Dutch decal option... oh well...

Classic Matchbox instructions. Gotta love them, sooo much nostalgia!20160110_134903_zpsyyxoxgbw.jpg

But the Revell instructions I downloaded have a nice bonus; loads of rigging help!
20160110_135051_zpsrx1wpw6c.jpg

And trust me, I need all the help I can get when I'm rigging...

I want to try to build this OOB as much as I can. Perhaps some harnesses and some tinkering with the engine, but nothing major. I will be working on this one whenever the Wendover build grinds to a halt for whatever reason. Good way to keep sane... (I hope)

More soooon!

Rob

Edited by Rob1970
  • Like 5

Rob, you might be interested that (the late) Dennis Teague did a 'Gilding The Lily' detailing article for this kit using basic modelling techniques. It appeared in PAM News issue 39/40 (combined issue April/May 1980). Recommended.

Rob, you might be interested that (the late) Dennis Teague did a 'Gilding The Lily' detailing article for this kit using basic modelling techniques. It appeared in PAM News issue 39/40 (combined issue April/May 1980). Recommended.

Don't think I know that magazine (or have it), but cheers anyway. Unless someone has a copy and wants to scan it for me ofcourse...

Rob

Edited by Rob1970

Don't think I know that magazine (or have it), but cheers anyway. Unless someone has a copy and wants to scan it for me ofcourse...

Rob

I have. Send me a PM with your e mail address and I'll try and send it to you.

Check the Tiger Moth GB that finished late last year, I put a lot of detail reference pictures there which you may find useful, two of us started Revell boxings though sadly neither of us finished!

Max

• 2 weeks later...

If you drift away from OOB, I have pictures of almost the entire air frame of one I used to fly. Including when stripped for recovering. I also have a copy of the official camo drawings and a full size inst panel drawing. For a DH82a that is.

Edited by Robin-42
  • Like 1

Oh man... you had to go and say that, didn't you? :boxing:

Dem be fightin'words!!

:evil_laugh:

Rob

Sorry but it's true. John Adams (JohnAero) has written at length about it (and you might not like to hear this) including how to fix it! This paraphrases John's advice:

"Please note that the kit interplane struts are too long, which means that the lower wing dihedral will be too flat. The true lengths in 1:32 are Front 44.5 mm and Rear 45.25 mm. Make sure that your top wing dihedral isn't pulled down if you alter them. The dihedral of the top wing is 2 deg 45 min and the bottom wing is 4 deg 30 min at the front spars. I think the kit top wing is Okay.This means roughly 5 mm under the top tips without the tank fitted and 8.5 mm under the lower tips with roots flat. The fault comes from the Cox drawings which Matchbox used as the basic reference. The drawing shows separate struts and these are over scale."

Max

This will be one to follow, I cut my teeth on Matchbox kits as a nipper and built all but the Tigermoth in their 1/32 range. I managed to buy the Puma, Venom and Dauntless a few years ago but will have to enjoy the Tigermoth through your thread.

Just a little footnote, the best bit about Matchbox kits all those years ago was the little clear window on the front of the box so you could see the different colours of plastic inside!

Hi Rob

This is a lovely kit and builds into a lovely little aircraft. As Max said take a look at the group build for these in the completed group build section and there is some very useful reference in there. I was the other one that started the Revell version of this kit and it is a very enjoyable Kit, mine has taken a long time as I only get a couple of hours here and there to model and have other things too on the go. I have done some more this week, must update my WIP thread.

Keep up the good work, you'll enjoy this kit.

All the best
Chris