'Lost in France.' REPLACED PHOTOS. couple of extras

THIS RFI HAS BEEN UPDATED, REPLACING THE PHOTO LINKS TO PHOTOBUCKET. THERE ARE A FEW EXTRA PHOTOS.

Here's my diorama entitled 'Lost in France', featuring the Churchill MkVII featured in the feature 'Saving a Churchill MkVII from the bin' WiP feature.

I have REALLY enjoyed making this one! It's only my 2nd model and diorama since returning to modelling after a 35 year absence.
Many positive comments, advice and tips have helped me improve along the way. Thank you all for your support, and thanks for looking!
EDIT: 03/02/16 I have re-worked the bridge and added some more detail shots at the end of the topic.

I hope you enjoy the pics and as always, comments positive and negative are welcome!

977880lif11.jpg

178396lif18.jpg

980804lif19.jpg

825043lif20.jpg

Badder.

PS, the aforementioned bucket appears at the end.

Edited by Badder
replacing image links
  • Like 11

I think that about covers everything... unless someone wants a close-up of anything in particular. Let me know. Please don't choose the worst bits!

Thanks again for looking!

Badder.

• Like 1

Fantastic, I've been following your Wip very inspiring.

Thanks Ozzy.

I have started on a universal carrier, have a tiger 1 upstairs in its box, and have a Sherman and a quad tractor with 25lb gun on their way from japan!

You really have done a fabulous job mate. It's an absolute beauty! The environment looks totally convincing and natural. That wall left quite an impression on Mrs. Badder too right ;)

• Like 1

You'll run me out of likes! :winkgrin:

Very well done and a fascinating project to follow.....So what's next? :hmmm:

I have a Tamiya 1/35th Tiger 1 late production with Eduard PE set and Tamiya zimmerit sheets. I've not used PE before. I want to do a winter scene with the Tiger ploughing through a wood and encountering a frozen pond.

I also have a Tamiya Sherman and a Quad Tractor with 25 pounder in the post, and I've started on a Universal Carrier.

I think I'll pair up the Sherman and the Carrier in a mud scene.

As for the Quad, I will research their deployment before deciding. Whilst the usual desert scene would be nice and simple, I'd like to do something different and do a European one.

With the associated dioramas, I expect this lot will keep me busy until next Christmas!

You really have done a fabulous job mate. It's an absolute beauty! The environment looks totally convincing and natural. That wall left quite an impression on Mrs. Badder too right ;)

Thanks TGA. Yeah, it'll STICK in her mind for a long time!

• Like 1

That is a truly superb diorama. Your attention to detail with everything from the Churchill and figures to the water and foliage is first rate. Brilliant stuff.

I hope you are thinking of joining the Vignette GB? The base would have to be smaller than you are perhaps used to but I would be interested see what you could achieve with your talents!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

That is a truly superb diorama. Your attention to detail with everything from the Churchill and figures to the water and foliage is first rate. Brilliant stuff.

I hope you are thinking of joining the Vignette GB? The base would have to be smaller than you are perhaps used to but I would be interested see what you could achieve with your talents!

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank you very much for the praise. I'm nowhere up to your level yet, but I will be one day. :thumbsup: AND thanks for the' invite'.

I have just received a M4A3 Sherman, and a Quad Tractor with 25 pounder in the post. I also have a Tiger 1 late, dying to get out of its box, and have started building a Universal Carrier.....For all of these I have diorama plans... So I don't think I'll be doing any vignettes for some time yet. (I've never actually done one!) I WILL join in with a GB at some point though!

Badder

• Like 1

Fantastic dio,tank commander to frenchman,"thanks for the wine mate and it looks lovely but what i'd really like to know is where the ruddy 'ell are we"...

Hahahaha! Thanks Vince.

I imagined 'SPEAKAY VOUS LES ENGLISH? OOOHWHERE LE FRONT? OOOHWHERE LES GERMANS?'

• Like 1

wow - that's an incredibly real diorama - every picture has its own story and bit of action going on - builds like these are meant for prizes. I love it but is old Rene Artois there happy that the brits are chewing up his front garden with a tank?

• Like 1

wow - that's an incredibly real diorama - every picture has its own story and bit of action going on - builds like these are meant for prizes. I love it but is old Rene Artois there happy that the brits are chewing up his front garden with a tank?

Probably well chuffed,he'll finally be able to get shot of the two airman....

• Like 1

Thank you. I really enjoyed making it, more so than I did my previous one, which was 95 percent brick walls, roofs, roof slates, cobbles, and window frames and heaps of rubble! (and a tree that wasn't all that good really) Hence, I really wanted to improve my 'vegetation', and so chose this setting... and at the same time I had my first bash at water...er... and mud, and grass!

When I was a kid my only dioramas were of sand.

P.s... Shortly after these pics were taken, Rene Artois toppled into the ditch, but was rescued by Michelle, who, although you can't see her, is hiding in the bushes beside the building, with a rolled up painting of the Fallen Madonna with the big boobies' shoved down her blouse.

• Like 1

Looks great Badder :thumbsup:

Foliage, figures and Churchill look very realistic.

Just one question, how did the tank get there? With the way the ground works look, soil looks slightly moist IMO, I would expect that the tank tracks would have chewed the ground up behind it if the track was muddy?

It is not a spoiler for me but I see it a lot in dioramas where people seem to forget to leave some sort of indication the vehicle has had to move across part of the terrain in the diorama to get where is it positioned.

• Like 1

Looks great Badder :thumbsup:

Foliage, figures and Churchill look very realistic.

Just one question, how did the tank get there? With the way the ground works look, soil looks slightly moist IMO, I would expect that the tank tracks would have chewed the ground up behind it if the track was muddy?

It is not a spoiler for me but I see it a lot in dioramas where people seem to forget to leave some sort of indication the vehicle has had to move across part of the terrain in the diorama to get where is it positioned.

Thanks. You raise a good point. However, I had intended that the ground be hard, dry and dusty rather than damp, wet, or muddy. The lighting perhaps makes it look more 'damp' than it is. The tank HAS actually sunk a bit where it is, and there ARE tracks underneath it, but not so much behind it. What there are, are 2 bare-ish 'ruts'.

Looking at the rear view in post 6, there is a line of bare earth with dead leaves tight up against the hedge on the tank-side of the ditch, which, although not 'sunken' is grassless and has been 'roughed up' just a little bit. Likewise there is a similar line of bare earth on the left. I could have done more with track prints and ruts, but hey.

I've driven armoured cars on Salisbury Plain, and seen the tank tracks, and I can tell you that ground can be like concrete so tanks don't ALWAYS leave track marks.

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1