"Birdie"C130s at Woodbridge.

baldeagle

Around 1980,when I was still in the R.A.F.at Wattisham,I visited R.A.F.Woodbridge with the Clacton I.P.M.S.Club.We were given a conducted tour by a very helpful U.S.A.F.officer,and were shown round A10s,H53s and C130s.The officer drew our attention to a couple of C130s which displayed an eagles head effect in the tail fin camouflage pattern.The story given was that a particular painter and finisher,apparently called "Bird"left his trademark on the aircraft he was spraying.

I have been searching for a photograph of one of these aircraft.Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Bill.

I took this poor photo at about the same time as you mention. This aircraft was pointed out to us by our guide while he told us the same tale:

2nv5ims.jpg

The image is pants as it was taken on a point & press, but you can see a bird's stylised "torso" up there.

HTH.........Dave.

• Like 2

Thanks to the three of you for replying,and particularly to Dave for the photograph.It plainly wasn't an eagle,as I remembered,but definitely a bird! I remember that we were shown two similarly marked aircraft,

Bill.

I think that the story may have been a bit of a "line-shoot". The "bird" shape, in tan, was on the right side of the fin and common in the mid seventies both in the UK, Europe and the US. Most variants, in camouflage, had it, A's,B's etc and most units. TAC, AFRES, ANG.

It was also part of the official T.O. 1-1-4 camouflage pattern for the C-130.

Dennis

I think that the story may have been a bit of a "line-shoot". The "bird" shape, in tan, was on the right side of the fin and common in the mid seventies both in the UK, Europe and the US. Most variants, in camouflage, had it, A's,B's etc and most units. TAC, AFRES, ANG.

Dennis

Yep...

C-130%20Euro_zps5qdotoes.jpg

Dennis

Your probably right Dennis - but it's kept me entertained for twenty-some years :blush:

• Like 1

Thanks Dennis.Like mackem,I agree that the story was one of the better American "Line-shoots".Certainly better than the ones thrown to us on the Agressors tour at Alconbury,which left us with permanently raised eyebrows!I have always doubted the existence of "Mr Bird",but I think that some painters and finishers may have brightened their days by exploiting the shape similarity.This thread has produced better results than I had hoped for.

I hope that I may now find a "Birdie" C130 model on one of the tables at a future show,and may even have a go at one myself,

Bill.

I believe that there was one C-130 with the bird shaped like an apple (for New York) and the tan on top was shaped like Florida. The HC-130N with the wavy bottom demarcation line was probably painted at Lake City, Florida. Dave Davenport told me about the extra wavy pattern and he said it was indicative of the quality of the work done by them.

Grant

Edited by Gmat

The only C-130's that I ever saw with a bird insignia painted on were two C-130B's from the 313th TCW at Forbes AFB that had been loaned, complete with crews, for month in 1965/66 to 47 Squadron (Beverley C.1's) for training and to gain experience on type and particularly route flying prior to the RAF getting the C-130K. Both had the 47 Squadron badge painted in full on the nose.

Dennis

Four of many to choose from :-

5NVEXoQ.jpg

HTH

Dennis

It is noticeable there is some difference between the aircraft. I was told by a painter that some he was always able to identify his aircraft as he sprayed in a certain way, and other guys did as well. The TO being a guide and as long as you did not deviate in a big way it was OK.