Another Academy 1/72 P-47D Bubbletop - FINISHED

Here is my GB entry......

IMG_2239_zpspdvbutnf.jpg

Box art

IMG_2238_zpsdj8pi1xz.jpg

and all the bits!

So nearly ready for the build. Haven't built a Thunderbolt in ages. Still to decide on the markings but have decided not to do the one on the front of the box due to that scary checkerboard nose.

Edited by GREG DESTEC
  • Like 5

Hi Greg, welcome aboard.

The scheme on the box does look really nice, do you get the checkerboard markings, or are you meant to do that yourself? Go on be brave and do it! :)

Good luck with the build and whatever scheme you choose to do, will look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

• Like 1

Hi Greg!

Great choice! I'll build the same plastic but in the Special Hobby boxing that comes with some AM parts to make a P-47M. Should arrive at my LHS next week, hopefully.

Cheers

Jaime

Cheers Jaime! I look forward to watching your build :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Hi Greg, welcome aboard.

The scheme on the box does look really nice, do you get the checkerboard markings, or are you meant to do that yourself? Go on be brave and do it! :)

Good luck with the build and whatever scheme you choose to do, will look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

Hi Rich, thanks for the warm welcome. Yes the checkerboard is a decal/transfer, the other option in the kit comes with red and white stripe decals for the tail and tailplanes so i'm looking for AM sets. I never have any luck with decals that conform to curves, eg invasion stripes. I don't think painting checkerboards in this scale is within my skills set!! :hypnotised:

Yeah if I can screw up checks I don't want o be alone

:evil_laugh: !!!

Any of the Eduard Jugs over Europe that im not useing intrst you Greg . let me know and i can pop them in the post

Alistair

Thats very generous of you Alistair, but isn,t your Jug 1/48??

• Like 1

Thats very generous of you Alistair, but isn,t your Jug 1/48??

Deeeeeeeeer yep . Thats a bit of problem . Add this to my telling Arniec to hang his SEAC P-47 over some Luftwaffe aircraft and it can be seen that I need to read the question papper before starting

:)

• Like 4

Deeeeeeeeer yep . Thats a bit of problem . Add this to my telling Arniec to hang his SEAC P-47 over some Luftwaffe aircraft and it can be seen that I need to read the question papper before starting :)

You are safe Alistair. I had to look twice in what scale it was.

Cheers,

Hi Greg. Good to see you here. Good choice of kit. I look forward to following your build. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix. Have got underway with my build, and all is good so far. Cheers Greg

• Like 1

Ok, so here's what i've got so far.......

IMG_2246_zpskd8dab38.jpg

IMG_2245_zpsn2xvpbjj.jpg

IMG_2244_zpsx2fmjjm5.jpg

IMG_2243_zps5rze0lab.jpg

IMG_2242_zpsntob06tf.jpg

IMG_2241_zps9gr6omfv.jpg

IMG_2240_zpstudbhivp.jpg

Next stage is to add some "tape" seatbelts to the pilot's seat, and then join up the fuselage, which will in turn allow me to add the wings and tailplanes. So far so good :thumbsup: I have been investigating alternative markings and am a bit taken aback at the cost of the sheets as they often are more than i paid for the kit! So why waste whats in the box?! I guess i'll go with the box art option after all, and brave the checkerboard (gulp!) nose transfer :shutup: Wish me luck! Cheers Greg.

Edited by GREG DESTEC
  • Like 7

Hi Greg. Excellent start. The cockpit detailing looks top notch! And good luck with the decal for the nose! I'm not looking forward to trying to do the one on my kit either!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Greg. Excellent start. The cockpit detailing looks top notch! And good luck with the decal for the nose! I'm not looking forward to trying to do the one on my kit either!

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix :thumbsup: The cockpit has reasonable detail for this scale, and just needs a bit of careful painting. The bombs and rocket tubes are painted using Tamiya Olive drab. I see what you mean about it not "behaving" for brush painting. I have given it 2 coats and still looks a bit streaky, but i recon another coat will then make it look too thick! Hopefully a bit of weathering will sort it out. I'm going to follow Dazdot's lead and try soaking the checker transfer in micro sol before making it stick (hopefully) to the cowling. Cheers Greg

Edited by GREG DESTEC
  • Like 1

Thanks Stix :thumbsup: The cockpit has reasonable detail for this scale, and just needs a bit of careful painting. The bombs and rocket tubes are painted using Tamiya Olive drab. I see what you mean about it not "behaving" for brush painting. I have given it 2 coats and still looks a bit streaky, but i recon another coat will then make it look too thick! Hopefully a bit of weathering will sort it out. I'm going to follow Dazdot's lead and try soaking the checker transfer in micro sol before making it stick (hopefully) to the cowling. Cheers Greg

Hi again Greg, Just a thought - have you got a spare decal on the sheet that you are not going to use? Might be worth testing a spare decal in the micro-sol first to check it doesn't just disintegrate - ask me how I know that can happen!! :banghead:

KInd regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi again Greg, Just a thought - have you got a spare decal on the sheet that you are not going to use? Might be worth testing a spare decal in the micro-sol first to check it doesn't just disintegrate - ask me how I know that can happen!! :banghead:

KInd regards,

Stix

Hi Stix, yes there are a few spares, and good idea to test one first, otherwise i may be some time with the masking tape and a paintbrush :bangin: Cheers Greg

• Like 1

Latest progress is as follows....

IMG_2247_zps4vejq5b2.jpg

IMG_2248_zpssboferwh.jpg

Pilot recruited from Airfix F-51D...

IMG_2249_zpsbjtmictp.jpg

Cowling taped for white background to the checker stickers......

The tricky transfer is next. Its in two parts, and i'm not looking forward to it! Other than that the model has gone together well and quickly (for me). More later.....

• Like 9

A cracking pace Greg,look's great,love the pilot figure.

Thanks Steve, not a swift as you though. These 1/72 kits certainly build up quicker for me than their larger counterparts in 1/48 or over. Cheers Greg