1/35 Tiger I, Dragon kit 6700

Nick C

Just started this kit and though I'd post a few pics of an issue I found to see if anyone else has seen it or has any thoughts;

Assembled the torsion bars suspension as per the instructions and then went to glue on the front armour plate with zimmerit to the hull - but it doesn't look right!

IMG_2046_zpst2eoougv.jpg

You end up with a double thickness of armour.

Had a look at some other posts of 6700 builds and noticed a subtle difference in the hull front moulding so I cut away the front plate;

IMG_2048%201_zpsatpclob0.jpg

and replaced with plate that's supposed to be glued over it;

IMG_2049_zpse5si3q2s.jpg

I think this looks more as it should and the only thing I can think of is that the kit shipped with a hull for an earlier non-zimmerit tiger? Hope everything else fits!!

Anybody else had this problem or got other ideas as to the cause?

Cheers

Nick

Watch this review re 6700. It starts at 34:35 where Adam comments on this kit's hull. That answers your question as definitively as possible without emailing Dragon Care with images attached.

Adam's reviews are thorough - understatement. He is definitely a fully accredited member of the 'Tiger Kit Club'.

I have 6383 which is a late rather than mid production Tiger Ausf E.

Watch this review re 6700. It starts at 34:35 where Adam comments on this kit's hull. That answers your question as definitively as possible without emailing Dragon Care with images attached.

Adam's reviews are thorough - understatement. He is definitely a fully accredited member of the 'Tiger Kit Club'.

I have 6383 which is a late rather than mid production Tiger Ausf E.

Thanks for the link, I've had a good look. When you look closely at the front of the assembled hull the armour plate does look like it protrudes too far compared to other kits and there's the same blank piece of plate on the hull front;

u%20tube%20clip_zpsexc4rdwl.jpg

I'm not sure if it's right or not to be honest but it's done now so I'll have to live with it!!

Cheers

Nick

Looks to me like Dragon are packaging the wrong lower hull with some of these kits. I built this kit when it was first released as the Otto Carius kit and encountered no problems at all. Compare the front of the hull on my build to yours, no sign of the extra piece of flat plastic. I would contact dragon care as it would appear the lower hull in your kit was not designed for the added zimmerit part. You've done a good job correcting it though !

P1000048.jpg

• Like 1

Nick I'd still contact Dragon Care. Their screw up so it would appear. If so, I think they are obliged to fix the problem gratis even if it means they need to supply you with all the sprues for the parts used and a new hull. Their kits are not cheap. We pay the premium SRP, because we expect Dragon excellence.

I will check my kit when I get a chance to do so over the next couple of days.

I do recall something in the kit instructions when I glanced upon receipt and opening of the kit to check contents about applying a strip of photo etch Zimmerit (supplied) over a join near the front hull, but I haven't checked mating of the hull to other parts. 6383 has slide moulded Zimmert too. I presume you are already familiar with Dragon instructions and the need to read thrice before going anywhere near glue, actioning a hobby knife or Dremel?

All the best with your build. If famously popular, it's still a magnificent subject, and Dragon's kits of it with slide moulded Zimmerit are gobsmacking.

I'm looking for LAH Normany '44 crew to do justice to the finesse of the Dragon mould, but don't care to fork out for Alpine Miniatures resin. Also on the lookout for HJ crew for my Ausf G Panther, same time frame. I am none too impressed with MiniArt's Normandy 1944 German Tank Crew moulds even though they are wearing purloined Kriegsmarine leathers. Dragon's better Gen2 figure kits have spoiled me for moulded figures offering that compromise of outstanding detail at the right price.

Thanks for the comments guys, this is my first dragon kit (I normally do ships) but I had heard the instructions were challenging so I checked and double checked but I can't see an alternative that works with the parts as supplied.

I've contacted dragon care (thanks for the advice) and will post whatever they respond with.

While I'm waiting I think I'll go back to a Type 23 I've got on the go

Cheers

Nick

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the advice to contact Dragon Care, which I hadn't heard of before.

Explained the problem, supplied a few pics and they replaced all the parts I've used, along with a different lower hull that accepts the zimmerit plate perfectly - the kit had shipped with the wrong lower hull packed so worth checking before assembling.

IMG_2138_zpsznhorztg.jpg

Hats off to Dragon for putting it right with no quibble!

Cheers

Nick

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Finally made some progress with this now that I've finished floaty things for a while;

Main sub assemblies ready to prime (with Halfords Grey Primer). I've removed most of the moulded clamps claps etc and used the Eduard set which also includes some additional internal stowage for the turret. Same for the fenders and track guards. Also got an Aber barrel;

IMG_2578_zpszgrz4sfh.jpg

The white paper is a mask that (hopefully) will just pull out, it's to stop spray going thru the grills onto the radiators below.

Hull front;

IMG_2579_zpshm75vxs0.jpg

Hull rear;

IMG_2581_zpsxlpmdspg.jpg

Side view;

IMG_2580_zpsncr1jnbp.jpg

Turret inner painted and some weathering, didn't go mad as it'll be all but invisible;

IMG_2583_zpseykacadw.jpg

IMG_2584_zpsniawxii1.jpg

And the turret dry fitted to the primed hull;

IMG_2585_zpsh115qxuo.jpg

IMG_2586_zpsogd2gckq.jpg

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Nick

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Nice progress Nick, I admire your PE clamps that is some fantastic workmanship.

Thanks Ozzy, took a while!

How long ... but progress with PEs is very good, :goodjob: Greetings :popcorn:

I know, seems like it's taken forever :-)

Bit of progress made. The final tank is supposed to be Eastern front Spring '44, so worn whitewash over camouflage;

Base of dark yellow (XF-60), a coat of AK Worn effects acrylic fluid, then dark green (XF-61) and Red Brown (XF-64) free hand sprayed.

Never tried to do a camouflage German AFV before so any hints on accuracy or otherwise appreciated;

IMG_2598_zpseuecy3m8.jpg

IMG_2600_zpsejwete0i.jpg

IMG_2601_zpsli3x12kj.jpg

Green and brown 'worn' with a brush dampened with water;

IMG_2604_zpsrpdtvoio.jpg

IMG_2605_zpsvrupe4ns.jpg

IMG_2606_zps8vrrhjxh.jpg

IMG_2607_zpsgcqzjori.jpg

Base coat and worn camouflage protected by a coat of Klear, than sprayed with another coat of AK chipping fluid, followed by a light coat of white;

IMG_2627_zpsgiwqs8b1.jpg

IMG_2628_zpsyfclrju1.jpg

And then the white is 'chipped' back, again with a damp brush to reveal some of the colour underneath

IMG_2629_zps1mkalcgd.jpg

IMG_2630_zpsviwcryxm.jpg

IMG_2631_zps6ny75ejl.jpg

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Nick

• Like 2

Bit of progress at the weekend, adding the tools and tow cables, re-did the spare track links on the hull front as I wasn't happy with them before;

IMG_2690_zps3lm4odkp.jpg

IMG_2689_zpsf54ylf9u.jpg

And painted loads of tyres!! Wheels and hull ready for washes and weathering

IMG_2691_zpskgb1wzp1.jpg

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Nick

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant!

Good work, nice white layer... :popcorn: cheers mate

Thanks chaps!!

Bit of progress, Friul tracks weathered with pigments (thanks Matt182 for the tips) and fitted, pin wash to the hull and turret, decals applied and a start on weathering with pastels and pigments;

Turret's only sat on the hull, hence the slight depression on the gun (hopefully :winkgrin: ). More weathering to go on, then the crew to do.

IMG_2711_zpsthonn8bw.jpg

IMG_2712%202_zpspvszdcb4.jpg

IMG_2713_zpsni4etwty.jpg

IMG_2718_zpsvd0yb20o.jpg

IMG_2719_zpsc7vtmemn.jpg

IMG_2720_zps1ejvvym7.jpg

IMG_2721_zpslvrv4pu1.jpg

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Nick

• Like 8