A Pair of 2nd TAF Spitfire XVI's

Hello fellow Britmodellers, I've managed to finish two more Spitfires. They are 1/72 Mk XVI's from the AZ kit, one a high back and one a 'bubble' top, both in markings for 2nd TAF machines in 1945. The marking for both aircraft came from this Xtradecal sheet.

IMG_2370_zpsvu52p768.jpg

WX-V, TD240, is a bubble top Mk XVI that 302 Sqn leader Boleslaw Kaczmarek inherited from Group Captain Aleksander Gabszewicz (an famous Polish ace whose first victory was over an He 111 on the opening day of the war).

IMG_2320_zpst2vdwscu.jpg

IMG_2319_zpsvx8flm8f.jpg

IMG_2334_zpsgpjnxzrd.jpg

I just finished them, and they're already dusty! Welcome to New Mexico.

JF-E, TD147, was the personal mount of James 'Stocky' Edwards, a Canadian ace who may be the only WWII ace to have demonstrably under claimed. The mighty Procopius pointed out this aircraft as soon as he found out I had bought the sheet, and I knew I had to build it. I hope to build one or two of Edwards' Kittyhawks in the near future.

IMG_2350_zpse039cdmy.jpg

IMG_2365_zpserro8udb.jpg

IMG_2359_zpshiluduux.jpg

IMG_2358_zpsvuttc6cq.jpg

IMG_2383_zpsxownaee9.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Edit: There is a WIP thread here.

• Like 24

These have come out very nicely indeed. I particularly like the Edwards machine: this indicates a change in my Spitfire tastes - I used to prefer the shape of the low-back XVIs, but these days I think the high back ones look more balanced somehow. You've covered off this risk by giving yourself one of each, and very tasty they are too.

Justin

• Like 1

Gosh, all that beauty was contained within the lumps of plastic you started with? Very nicely done indeed. Dust is such a curse of the modelling class I've always believed.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

A great looking pair of Spits. I believe Edwards was the last Commonwealth 'Ace' to make a claim in North West Europe in a Merlin engined Spitfire (a share in a Ju88 03/05/45) in this particular aircraft.

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind comments everyone!

Stix, Tony and Giemme, thanks so much as the three of you are very accomplished Spitfire builders, and I've got a ways to go to reach your standards.

Justin/Bedders - I've gone back and forth about my aesthetic preference for high back and bubble top Spitfires (and WWII fighters in general). Many years ago, I saw this Spitfire XIV in Santa Monica, and it made quite an impression in favor of bubble tops. But lately, like you, my tastes have swung back toward highbacks. I really want to build my razorback P-47 soon (perhaps in the STGB), and my latest Corsair build is a 'birdcage' version - as Stew Dapple has pointed out, it's the 'highback' version of the Corsair vs the 'bubble' of the later raised cockpit versions. Also, I hold you at least partially responsible for the plastic butchery occurring here, I'm trying for a high back Mk XIV.

Thanks Ced and Simon, two more accomplished Spitfire aficionados.

Mike - someday we should switch and I'll try for an ultra clean build and you can build something grubby. It'd be good for us.

Thanks for the information on Edwards' aircraft Meatbox, he's definitely a fascinating figure. I'm pretty sure he damaged a 262 in this machine as well.

• Like 2

Hi Cookie. Yes, I think you are right about the Me262 claim. I have a few of AZ's Spitfires and Seafires of various marks in the stash though I haven't built one yet. Hope they turn out as well as yours.

• Like 1