Vallejo Metal Color vs. Alclad Test

Texan76

To compare the shades equally, I will use only the Black Primer for both paints. I have to admit, I am not very good at painting gloss, so it came out a wee bit grainy.

image_zpssu2clkxu.jpeg

Here are both paints applied. Can you guess which is the Vallejo and which is the Alclad?

image_zpsq8v7jo8a.jpeg

The Vallejo is on the left, Alclad on the right. The panel line separates the paints.

Edited by Texan76
  • Like 1

In conclusion, I was very surprised. To me, the Vallejo looks better. Plus, there is no smell! I think I might be making the switch.

The Vallejo laid down very nice. I sprayed at 10 psi just like I would with Alclad. Sprayed beautifully.

To compare the shades equally, I will use only the Black Primer for both paints. I have to admit, I am not very good at painting gloss, so it came out a wee bit grainy.

Here are both paints applied. Can you guess which is the Vallejo and which is the Alclad?

image_zpsq8v7jo8a.jpeg

The Vallejo is on the left, Alclad on the right. The panel line separates the paints.

Well, that's not too surprising: Alclad Aluminum is intended to give that ever so slightly grainy surface. If you want to make a fair comparison, you would use Alclad Polished Aluminum or Stainless Steel... they give a more mirror-like sheen if applied properly. I think the one below is Stainless Steel, with white aluminum highlights on the wing control surfaces.

20322efc.jpg

Edited by -Neu-
  • Like 1

Very interesting test , have you tried masking over the Vallejo yet ?

The primer instructions state to not mask until after curing 12 hours. I did not want to wait that long, so I pulled out the hair dryer. Then I took the Tamiya masking tape and reduced the tackiness by putting it on my hand. I applied it to the panel line over the already applied Vallejo Metal Color to demarcate the two shades when I applied the Alclad. When I finished, it pulled up with no visible paint on the tape.

I think there is another thread on here where someone tested the durability of the paint.

• 2 weeks later...

Some model shops in the UK have them - Ian Allen books and models in Birmingham (next to New Street station) had them in stock the other day.

Looks like they are going to be a great option for modellers without an extractor and/or who model in the house.

Paul

They may be acrylic but I'd still be wary about breathing in the fine metal particles in these, the person doing the spraying or others.

Best to use a extractor for any airbrushing imho, just because they don't smell doesn't mean their ok to breath in

Not being all H&S about them Paul

So guys, I'm coming over to the UK late July. Where can I get the Vallejo range, please?

Colin

OK, got it, Little-Cars.

Yep, here: http://www.modellingtools.co.uk/vallejo-metal-color-276-c.asp

And we do a reasonably priced face mask to catch the overspray: http://www.modellingtools.co.uk/face-mask-with-replaceable-cartridge-filter-12689-p.asp.

Paul

Very interesting test , have you tried masking over the Vallejo yet ?

I've masked over it using a different primer, and it stuck well. I still need to use their own primer to see how it goes :)

In conclusion, I was very surprised. To me, the Vallejo looks better. Plus, there is no smell! I think I might be making the switch.

The Vallejo laid down very nice. I sprayed at 10 psi just like I would with Alclad. Sprayed beautifully.

I have reached the same conclusion. The caveat of breathing any fumes/particles of paint holds true, but they have to be safer than any lacquer paints, surely? :hmmm:

Here is Vallejo Metal Color used in my Mig-15 build. The main shade is aluminum, with the darker panels duraluminum. I used grey Badger primer. I've tried the gloss black metal color primer, but I can't seem to get it to lay down smooth like the Badger primer. I've tried thinning and lower air pressure, but it still comes out grainy. I must be doing something wrong. The Badger primer seems to work good though.

image_zpscgve3aio.jpeg

The image showing the surface painted with surface primer obviously has uneven lighting, which is unfortunate if that also ends up affecting the lighting for the other images I think.

All I have for taking pics is my iPad. Unfortunately, it doesn't take very good pics in regards to the lighting. It looks much better in person.

• Like 1