ICM 1/48 MiG-25RBT

Stephen

2 minutes ago, petarvu said:

Where? I haven't seen it...

I want evidences as well :)

Even though I plan to do a RBF using the forthcoming CWS nose.

cheers

I posted two photos over of the revised nose and the CWS part on HS forums in a MiG-25 thread some days ago (should be page 3 or 4 now).

Cheers

Andreas Beck

• Like 1

I don't understand why the retail price of the Revell repop is about 10 quid higher than the original though. Revell re-boxes are normally quite a bit cheaper than the original releases, even with new decals...

Makes you wonder whether it's better to buy the ICM kit with the CWS resin nose, as there you get additional instrument faces and masks.

Cheers

Jeffrey

Yes, thanks Andreas for comparing the resin and plastic

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/message/1495264780/Re-+Any+links+to+the+reissue-

Will deffo now pick up a copy of the Revell edition. Am having to substantially dremel the CWS nose to fit the ICM boxing, so a plastic edition of the correct RBT nose is much welcomed.

What is the ICM MiG-25RB boxing about later this year? The SLAR- and Elint-only noses without camera peepholes? 

Tony

• Like 2

On 1/5/2017 at 5:55 PM, vlad74 said:

I'm building this model now and I'm so sorry to have to said it but, is really engineered badly!

Interesting! I had virtually no problems with mine (except for at few shallow sink marks).

Jens

Ditto Jens, I have found the model to be well engineered and have had no problems with it so far. I also found the CWS nose to fit well, maybe I've just been lucky. Granted there's a bit of work to make it accurate but nothing too terrible, the overly small intake throats and engine compressor facings being the biggest issue but a bit of scratch work sorted that out. Overall I think it's a great kit and look forward to further versions....

• Like 2

Glad i ordered the CWS noses looking at thst photo comparison.

The Revell revised lower panel looks pinched not smooth curves like on the big Mig.

No complaints on engineering here as without it tooled this way there "would be no 1/48 Mig-25".

big aeroplane, big tooling costs and a seperate tool for each model is fantasy land stuff.

Cant wait for the big Wild Weasel...

On 2017-5-28 at 6:30 AM, DIO said:

I have seen a number of build-reviews and more or less, they all suggest that there is considerable work and skill required to make an accurate Mig-25 out of this one.

I have found the surgery required at the engine exhausts to be the most hard to achieve.

Definitely not for newbies...

I've built the kit and didn't have any surgery to do around the exhausts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

I've built the kit and didn't have any surgery to do around the exhausts.

Ahhhh! You are absolutely right. I had the Kittyhawk one in my mind...

And even that, not from personal experience...

Glad to know that this one is much better.

I will wait for the AMK one and then decide which one I will be building...

Edited by DIO
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, DIO said:

Ahhhh! You are absolutely right. I had the Kittyhawk one in my mind...

And even that, not from personal experience...

Glad to know that this one is much better.

I will wait for the AMK one and then decide which one I will be building...

I did wonder if there were crossed wires somewhere, you'll be a while waiting on AMK, I highly recommend this kit and I thoroughly enjoyed the build. Buy one and you wont be disappointed, its a cracker.

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

I did wonder if there were crossed wires somewhere, you'll be a while waiting on AMK, I highly recommend this kit and I thoroughly enjoyed the build. Buy one and you wont be disappointed, its a cracker.

I might do. I want to put it right next to my MIG-31 :-)

The two beasts together!

Thanks!

The KH kit (for all its problems) doesn't really need surgery to fit the exhausts, either.  You need to file a notch on the outside of the exhaust tubes, but that's about it.

From my test-fitting, I'd say the ICM kit is an unforgiving build.  It requires precision to assemble properly, and if you're precise, it will build cleanly; if you mess something up though, your problems will compound and cause a lot of headaches.  The bulkheads need to be fitted in exactly the right spot; get them a little crooked, or offset, or have a rough parting line that throws things off, and the fuselage sides, wheel wells, landing gear, intakes and forward fuselage won't fit right.

Edited by ICMF
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Sobby_23 said:

Re-box of this ICM kit.

Thanks for the info! 

15 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Hannants £49.99 plus £6.50 p&p and modelhobbies £39.99 free p&p

they both show them in stock.

Cheers!

1 minute ago, bradsm2000 said:

Thanks for the info! 

Cheers!

Youre welcome. 

Took the plunge myself yesterday...

Once it arrives there will be an ICM kit with coldwar nose up for sale lads (in appropriate section obvs) 

👍🏿

1 minute ago, Tony Oliver said:

Youre welcome. 

Took the plunge myself yesterday...

Once it arrives there will be an ICM kit with coldwar nose up for sale lads (in appropriate section obvs) 

👍🏿

Thinking about the Revell reboot if the nose has been changed slightly. Not to fussed if not 100% accurate, can live with that. Got an ICN Ju-88 and the modelling was superb. If the mig is as good I'll be happy!

Just now, bradsm2000 said:

Thinking about the Revell reboot if the nose has been changed slightly. Not to fussed if not 100% accurate, can live with that. Got an ICN Ju-88 and the modelling was superb. If the mig is as good I'll be happy!

Even rebox!

Here it is! 

Alot bigger box, 

parts are in another cardboard sleeve inside. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Nose comparison. 

Ruler isn't for length, its to show the more prominent kink along the top easier. 

Hopefully it's obvious which kit is which in the pics below.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Do you think they would have made a new tool for the whole sprue or just removed/re-worked it to add the bumps? The way I see it - Easier to make things bigger as said above than trying to make smaller parts by say going back and adding/welding more metal in the tool? I'm not an engineer so please don't slate me ha ha! 

PS

My ICM kit with cws resin nose will be up for sale later 👍🏿

• Like 1

Thank you tony!

I think that the mold tooling was done by icm.

On the revell box, do you see "made in ukraine"?

I will keep my icm boxing and buy the rbf nose by cws :)

Maybe get the revell also :)

6 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

image.jpg

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the comparison. Excellent informative photos. So some manufacturers learn from mistakes and make corrections even if not under their own label. Anyway now we have the chance to do the very early RBT from the ICM and the main production version from the Revell kit.

It would be interesting to see if with the Revell rebox they have also listened to the problem with the decals. Did they change the stencils to black? Only a handfull early production R and RB's had the blue stencils. About 99% of production aircraft had black stencils together with the red warning ones. From the above photo it is not clear if the stencils have been changed. 

Anyway, if they did not change it, then there is always the excellent Begemot decal sheet which has the option for the black stencils and very detailed instruction sheet as to where to put them.

I think I will have to get a Revell RBT Foxbat to go along my ICM one with the Cold War Studios nose.

Best regards

Gabor

7 hours ago, rom1 said:

Thank you tony!

I think that the mold tooling was done by icm.

On the revell box, do you see "made in ukraine"?

I will keep my icm boxing and buy the rbf nose by cws :)

Maybe get the revell also :)

image.jpg

1 hour ago, ya-gabor said:

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the comparison. Excellent informative photos. So some manufacturers learn from mistakes and make corrections even if not under their own label. Anyway now we have the chance to do the very early RBT from the ICM and the main production version from the Revell kit.

It would be interesting to see if with the Revell rebox they have also listened to the problem with the decals. Did they change the stencils to black? Only a handfull early production R and RB's had the blue stencils. About 99% of production aircraft had black stencils together with the red warning ones. From the above photo it is not clear if the stencils have been changed. 

Anyway, if they did not change it, then there is always the excellent Begemot decal sheet which has the option for the black stencils and very detailed instruction sheet as to where to put them.

I think I will have to get a Revell RBT Foxbat to go along my ICM one with the Cold War Studios nose.

Best regards

Gabor

Red and black. No blue ones like in icm boxing. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Gabor are there any examples out there that suit the ICM early version RBT 'out of the box' so to speak? If I built my icm one  I could use the stars and stencils from the icm sheet, then match the bort number from all the spares from the hobbyboss mig-31 kit. That sheet has loads of red, dark blue and light blue numbers. 

Edited by Tony Oliver
  • Like 1