1/9th Brough Superior SS100 (Model Factory Hiro)

Looking back at your engine, can I ask how you finished the crank case. Is it painted, plated or just polished. It looks perfect !

I've just received my copy of the kit as it's awesome, but a lot of work. I'll be following your build hoping for some more tips ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi CC,

Is there any more progress on this?

I am keen to see this come together as there doesn't seem to be any work in progress articles that I can find on the web, other than the photos on the MFH website.

I have this in my stash and want to read about the build process as much as possible.

Best Regards,

Keith.

Hi Folks,

It's crazy around here and I haven't had much quality time with the Brough. But I did get a couple of hours in this evening.

"Looking back at your engine, can I ask how you finished the crank case. Is it painted, plated or just polished?"

Mark, the engine case was a bit rough so I polished it with #0000 steel wool to get a smooth surface. Then I shot it with 2k clear to prevent it from tarnishing. The trick is to get into every little crack and corner with a toothpick and it just takes time.

Some progress to report. I sat down tonight and worked on the fuel tank. Last time I showed the sides I had plated. Tonight I glued the sides to the resin tank and filled the trench between the two with Milliput and Surfacer 1000. Then I primed and painted the resin taping off the sides. After removing the tape I flattened the paint edge by rolling my Exacto handle down the sides while the paint was still soft. Next I made a flat pattern using tissue paper and transferred it to a piece of stiff card to use as a guide for my pinstriping. Next I taped a couple of exacto blades together to cut my pinstriping. The two blades are just wide enough to give a perfect 0.4mm width pinstripe. After carefully cutting out the pinstripes following my pattern I soaked them and placed each on the tank side snugging each down with a drop of MicroSol. Not much done but I'm out of time and need to get to bed. Cheers!

100_3152.jpg

100_3153.jpg

The pics are a bit dusty but as you can see the home-made decals look straight and layed down nicely. The next job is to clear coat the whole thing to seal it from the elements. Pinstriping the tank and handlebars isn't necessary but many bikes had the detail including the one I'm attempting to replicate (pictured in my first post). It also adds a bit of color to the monochrome paint scheme.

Mike

Edited by Cratecruncher
  • Like 5

"Looking back at your engine, can I ask how you finished the crank case. Is it painted, plated or just polished?"

Mark, the engine case was a bit rough so I polished it with #0000 steel wool to get a smooth surface. Then I shot it with 2k clear to prevent it from tarnishing. The trick is to get into every little crack and corner with a toothpick and it just takes time.

Thanks Mike, I shall get cracking with the elbow grease and an extra cup of coffee !! Everything about this kit takes time. I've spent 2 days just cleaning up the rims !! I'll be pleased if mine comes out half as well as yours.

Yep, that's it exactly Keith. The original Brough prototype tank was all nickel and the first time the sun came out the glare blinded the rider from the stories I've read. So Mr. Brough painted the center portion black and often used a gold pinstripe to accent the transition. MFH designed a resin tank with white metal covers so there is that groove that runs the length which must be filled in order to lay down the pinstripe. The hard part was sanding it down flat without scratching the nickel.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip on using wire wool to polish the crank case. After a somewhat unsuccessful attempt with Tamiya rubbing compound, I ordered some wire wool, and it worked a treat.

Love your tank, it's come up a treat !! My sides are getting polished as I don't have access to nickel plating kits (I'm about to move house so buying new toys is a no-no !) but sanding and polishing has worked well.

Have you tried the engine in the frame yet ? I found I had to bend the front down-tube out a little as the fixing points were too close together by about 1mm.

Edited by Mark_1984

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi I've just joined here in the wake of buying a MFH Brough Superior kit previously I have built 1/19th scale locomotives and thought something different might be a challenge. I cast around and found this wonderful thread really helpful. The kit arrived today but I will not be starting it for a couple of months to give me time to consume all the info I can get and to finish A Dick Kerr electric diesel WW1 Loco I'm building.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't know if you're still building this, but if you haven't done the exhausts yet, be careful.  They don't fit !!  The front pipe just needed bending into shape and a little fettling, but the rear pipe is out by a yard !!

• 1 year later...