Aussie Eight #1 done, Aussie Eight #2 New! Eduard Spitfire VIII productionline, with added Airfix Spitfire XII

How do you follow up after completing the ginormous 1/24 Typhoon?

Well, one could start a project of similar size (which I don't have) or complexity (still need to get more AM-stuff form my Drakens, Phantoms and Strike Eagles) or choose a more relaxing kit with excellent engineering and fit. I choose to restart my Eduard Spitifre...

Where was I?

Cockpit by the look of it

Added a wash and started to install all those little pieces that Eduard gives you. Man,some of those are TINY!

The lap belts was a simple one-piece affair. After the complexities in 1/24 belts, this seems like a cakewalk, so I expect to muck it up somewhere...

Time to get cracking then!
Edited by Christer A
Flikr-fied
  • Like 3

Speaking of falling together

The cockpit is now completed
36312704042_c62bd6de64_o.jpgP1040651 by Christer Andersson, on Flickr
36312703922_77607f62f9_o.jpgP1040653 by Christer Andersson, on Flickr
Extra wiring is hard to install and nigh on impossible to route correctly. Oh well, this is an experiment anyway. In the future I'll probably get a Brassin cockpit for at least one machine.
Gunsight is left off for now. I fear it might ping away to a dark corner somewhere...

A dry fit with the wing showed the best wing-to-fuselage I've ever seen on a spitfire kit.

Just excellent!
36312702702_596a3008ec_o.jpgP1040658 by Christer Andersson, on Flickr

That dry-fit turned into the real deal with sufficient amounts of Tamiya Extra thin real quick!
Time to take a breather before I've glued everything together...I don't have a good enough color for RAAF Foliage green yet!

Edited by Christer A
Flikr-fied
  • Like 6

• 2 months later...

Playing around with some hairspray chipping on the Airfix XII

36084125830_568b0a77ef_o.jpgP1040829 by Christer Andersson, on Flickr

36312702482_e8e2991809_o.jpgP1040831 by Christer Andersson, on Flickr

36480912035_c92a05f345_o.jpgP1040832 by Christer Andersson, on Flickr

Hairspray technique suffered a lot from Ketchup-effect. Nothing happened in the beginning and all of a sudden all paint came loose!

Honest opinions please?

This weathering lark is complicated artistry that's for sure, and it's something that I want to improve on.

Edited by Christer A
Flikr-fied
  • Like 6

On 14/03/2016 at 21:33, Christer A said:

Yes, since the engine installations are different on Mk1, Vb, VIII and so on all cowlings are different as well.

From what I can see on the VIII, the panel line is very hard to find

Supermarine_Spitfire_Mark_VIII%2C_JF294-
This appears to be a mkVIII in a natural metal state. If the cowl on MkVIII were split in the middle it should show here right?

Afterall, all cowls were handmade to fit on just one aircraft and were not interchangeable. Is it possible that they did both variants?

What's the reason behind the larger spinners on the Griffon spits anyway?

AFAIK the cowl panels were not hand made, but panels  from one factory might not fit another, this was discussed here somewhere!

the larger spinner on the Griffon I presume is that the Griffon is about 25% larger than a Merlin, in size as well as capacity (Merlin 27 litre, Griffon 36 litre) so a larger frontal area.

neat work

cheers

T

The way it has come off looks realistic but the volume of wear is a little too high for what your building... If that makes sense? Maybe try again with a light re spray?

these are looking very nice!

Rob 

• Like 2

On 2016-11-05 at 5:10 PM, Troy Smith said:

AFAIK the cowl panels were not hand made, but panels  from one factory might not fit another, this was discussed here somewhere!

the larger spinner on the Griffon I presume is that the Griffon is about 25% larger than a Merlin, in size as well as capacity (Merlin 27 litre, Griffon 36 litre) so a larger frontal area.

neat work

cheers

T

Thanks Troy. I must've mixed up some info regarding the panels, there's so many Spitfire Info threads to keep track of.

On 2016-11-05 at 5:11 PM, rob85 said:

The way it has come off looks realistic but the volume of wear is a little too high for what your building... If that makes sense? Maybe try again with a light re spray?

these are looking very nice!

Rob 

Thanks rob.

I agree, the effect looks nice as is, but the overall look is too much.

Also, the hairspray somehow reacted very badly with the aluminium paint, making it look very coarse when viewed closely. It didn't look that bad before I started the chipping test.

I'll strip it and redo everything.

On 2016-11-05 at 7:27 PM, amblypygid said:

What Rob said, really. Nice effect, just a bit too much. However, it may be hard to fix and still get the realism of the chipping?

Practice makes perfect, so I'll practice again!

• Like 2

Hello Christer,

Ive just found and caught up wth this great build thread :) !

Both Models look superb, the Eduard really falls together doesn't it?

I am in 1/72 scale, being in Australia I wish Eduard did a Mk VIII in 1/72. I have the AZmodels kit, it's nice but doesn't fall together. I will buy a couple of Eduard Mk IX soon, everyone recommends them.

You mentioned Foliage Green. It's s bit of a minefield, but IMHO Lifecolor UA 514 RAAF Foliage Green looks very good and is lovely to apply, by hairy stick or airbrush :) .

Looking forward to the rest of this thread,

best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Rob, Chris, most of the time I have little patience to redo stuff, but recently I seem to have fallen into this trap.

I blame it on the too good economy which allows me to buy weathering books...

TonyT: Thanks for the cheers.

Yeah, it kind of falls together, but you have to be careful anyway since some small mistakes will lead to misalignment later on. The left wing root in my case is no looker, that's for sure.

Probably need some heavy sanding to sort out but that will obliterate all those fine details...

Oh well, I have 2 more VII:s in the box anyway (so far I've bought one extra. I need at least one more)

For the green, I've just bought Gunze 302 which is what the instructions recommend.

I have a picture on the rudder painted with that , but not on this computer. Stay tuned!

You do know that Eduard will do the VIII in 1/72 right?

And an Aussie Eight edition as well?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Where was I?

Ah, yes, you're supposed to have nice rims on your rides.

So I added the Eduard rim to the Airfix tyre:

31360395811_e8a46961db_b.jpg

Not a perfect fit, but much better than the Airfix original.

In other news, the Eduard VIII has got a coat of primer

30737914404_45e20574b1_h.jpg.

Some light buffing with a sanding sponge, and then it's back to the paint barn again!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Time to paint the VIII underside then!
The callout is for Gunze 417, which actually says RLM 76 on the jar...
Fraternizing with the enemies , are they? Strange lot those ozzies ;)

31763566026_bd443b4ce0_h.jpg
No crazy-shade (tm) this time, just straight up solid color. (you know, the spaghetti preshade with anything but black colors)
Off course, that would be a little dull, so I'll try to postshade a few panels here and there instead
31763566066_29bcd4c6a8_h.jpg
First a lightened coat.
30991188593_c6c067fd35_h.jpg

Turned out as expected I guess.

Now, I'll make some lunch for the kids, and let the paint harden for a bit before I make a few darker panels.

• Like 3

I masked a lot, and I sure did mix a darker shade.
But it's hardly visible! :(

31431237230_33113e9112_h.jpg

While the protecting clearcoat hardens I'll ponder the question if I should redo the dark, or if I just should blend it all with another basecoat or forget about it....

Opinions?

In the end, I blended it a little bit more:

31805569655_b534e20561_o.jpg

31805570105_739952c40a_o.jpg

Since all tape already was in full use for the Brigand, I got the underside taped up as well.

31018946003_a6becd0550_o.jpg

Maybe I should skip all festivities and just paint during all three days of christmas? I mean, it's christmas every ear, but a good modelling flow comes not as often :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Tonal shift-day, or was it painting day?

Anyway, it was not only the Brigand that got hit by paint spray, but also the VIII :)

I started to mask around the gun access panel and the elevators:

31522441160_96ee9cacf5_o.jpg

The contrast was a little too stark though

31895467855_ceef3433f1_o.jpg

Nothing to do but to tone it down a tad (or four)

31858020836_5d05d7ffff_o.jpg

Gloss coat is on, now it needs to harden for a while before the decals will transform it to a more beautiful machine.

• Like 3

Decaling underway!

31941191915_0f9d2a3441_o.jpg
31132077763_57a176927f_o.jpg

Just the stencils to do now. Fortgot to do the wing walkways first, so I'll have to cut them to fit.

31568356350_47d0993f7d_o.jpg
Unfortunately two of the stencils on the prop blades got stuck and wasn't possible to move to the correct position. In the end they were scraped of with some paint damage.
Luckily there are spare stencils available!
  • Like 3

Thanks Rob!

Hit a little SNAFU today

31232953954_3a644c3e83_o.jpg

In my attempts to force the decal to follow the contour it apparently melted and started to run...I didn't see it in time so I couldn't soak it up with something.

Now what?

I think all thinners, and air brush cleaners will do short work of the underlying paint...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Christer A said:

Thanks Rob!

Hit a little SNAFU today

31232953954_3a644c3e83_o.jpg

In my attempts to force the decal to follow the contour it apparently melted and started to run...I didn't see it in time so I couldn't soak it up with something.

Now what?

I think all thinners, and air brush cleaners will do short work of the underlying paint...

I wouldn't try and remove it, I would paint out the effected panels with a small brush. HTH

Rob

• Like 1