Aussie Eight #1 done, Aussie Eight #2 New! Eduard Spitfire VIII productionline, with added Airfix Spitfire XII

My poor poor winterized Harrier hit a big snag recently, so much in fact that Ii put it back in the box for a while.

To cheer me up a little, I decided to have a deeper look into my Christmas gift:
1188_00.jpg
31 different decal options, but only 2 complete set of kits. I really hope that Eduard will offer more Overtrees soon!

First, I thought that I should do one of the Grey Nurses, since I do have a thing for Sharkmouths...

And I definitely want to do a brown/green one, and a desert one with the blue/light blue roundels and one green one with bomb racks...

So, instead of botching Bobby Gibbes rather spiffy looking machines I decided to start with this to learn how to build an Eduard Spitfire.
02.jpg

Pictures to follow!

//Christer

Edited by Christer A
  • Like 9

I wish they would sell the decals separately, there are a couple of schemes on that sheet that interest me. I already have two Mk VIII overtrees and don't want to buy any more just for the decals, as I've already planned my 2016 model spending budget. Eduard often seem to reduce it's prices dramatically after some time, so if I wait long enough, who knows?

I'll be watching your build with interest

John

Thanks everyone who joined in!

I promised more pictures, and here they come.

Just for a chance to glue well-fitting parts together without touching etch or lots and lots of tiny detail, I started with the wings.Or rather trying to drill holes for bomb shackles. A quite nice template is included which was taped down here:

36084134570_6118ff5ec5_o.jpgP1040164 by Christer Andersson, on Flickr

Unfortunately, I then promptly lost my 0,3mm drillbit to the carpet monster, so the template was removed to be used another day.

Right, on to the wheel wells instead.

36084134360_b1b5050f26_o.jpgP1040165 by Christer Andersson, on Flickr

Quite a few parts, with different options depending on my selected variant. Hi detail indeed and the fit was exemplary.

I learned that for the wheel area, it's best to glue the inner parts first, and then the outer one. That way all joints all but disappear. I really need to stop sploshing Tamiya Extra Thin Cement all over the place though! That stuff flows everywhere...

Time to paint them then! Eduard has used a lot of material from Mr Peter Malone in making all the profiles and paint schemes, and I reckon they can be trusted to the letter. Forest green and light blue is the order of the day, and the wheels should then be panted light blue, Guze H417. I had that bottle at hand so I started to spray it, sniggering to myself that i was painting a Spitfire in RLM76! (H417 is called RLM76 on the bottle).

36343570491_705d991041_o.jpgP1040166 by Christer Andersson, on Flickr

I just love Gunze! One of the few acrylic colours that doesn't give me any trouble...

Before closing up the wings,position lights are to be added. Here I used trick learned from a fellow modeller back home:

36084134260_d5ec6f7f44_o.jpgP1040169 by Christer Andersson, on Flickr

Clear part was installed, translucent red and green was painted and then I covered the lenses with ordinary kitchen foil, with the shiny side down of course :)

This way, you get a terrific shine to them!

36084134130_1772c97f33_o.jpgP1040170 by Christer Andersson, on Flickr

I also did a very light wash in the wells with light grey and brown, but it's so light so that it almost disappeared

36343570381_eaf7cebeaf_o.jpgP1040171 by Christer Andersson, on Flickr

Will do more later then. but this was the last chance to do have good access to the wells, because when the wings go on, everything is completely covered up!

Then I brough fourth a few clamps and got the upper wings in place

36084133970_9885c0638a_o.jpgP1040172 by Christer Andersson, on Flickr

Now would've been a terrific time to start on the radiator assemblies, but the rest of the family wanted to go skiing for a few days instead...

Off to the swedish mountains in Dalarna then.

Lets hope that all bones in my body stay in one piece during that ;-)

Cheers for now!

//Christer

Edited by Christer A
Flikr-fied
  • Like 8

Cracking on then, have you spotted Eduards deliberate mistake in showing rivets ahead of the main spar line? Enjoy your skiing and come back in one piece, I'm eager to see more of this.

Cheers

John

Hi!

I survived the skiing without injuries it seems so now I can get on with the kit.

Rivets in front of the main spar? I wasn't aware that there were any issues at all with this kit. But the rivets are so small that they'll almost disappear anyway. Especially if I sand a little :)

Excellent work! I have this and a few overtrees and are watching with interest.

Thanks! I think I need a few overtrees too.

I wonder if you can graft the nose from Airfix XII on to eduards IX? That could be bloody nice!

Love the light technique.

It's really something so nice and yet so simple.

The rivets ahead of the main spar line were puttied and sanded ( like the P-51 ) to give a smooth finish. As you say the rivets are very small, when I get around to make mine I will give that area a coat of Halfords acrylic primer and sand it back.

Looking forward to more.

John

More you say?

Well, here is more!

I finished the radiators. This is a trickier than usual, since the sides and bottom are separate parts but it gives Eduard an possibility to mold some strenghteningen plates on the sides of the radiators. I recommend slow setting glue if anyone tries to do this as a seperate piece. I cheated and built everything up on the wing itself instead.

36084133800_7b96c027b9_o.jpgP1040173 by Christer Andersson, on Flickr
Much easier this way, but it lead to some gaps on the bottom part which was sanded away. No biggie.

Then I added ailerons, outer wingtips, canons and so on and got a complete wing.
36084133600_814a53e01c_o.jpgP1040176 by Christer Andersson, on Flickr
Usually that is something very scare when building Spitfires, because building the wing separately will lead to a gap in the wing root. But not on this kit! The fit is perfect!

The fuselage halves was treated next. Coffman starter bulge was added on the right side, wing roots on both side (without bulges) and a hole for the gun camera was drilled on the left side. It turned out a little oblong, but this will do for now.
36343569981_83036a71c4_o.jpgP1040177 by Christer Andersson, on Flickr
I can still fix it, if need be.

To wrap this update, i present a picture of the most trickiest part in the entire build.
Top and bottom engine covers.

36084133670_aeb437cd8d_o.jpgP1040175 by Christer Andersson, on Flickr
On actual Spitfires these are in one piece and hand made to fit the intended aircraft. They're also double curved in two directions which means that Eduard cannot do them in Injection molding. There are resin alternatives available, but I'll make do with these one.

It builds character I guess :-)

But after this, it seems that I need to focus on the cockpit (on my big Tiffie too!)

//Christer

Edited by Christer A
Flikr-fied
  • Like 5

Glad your in one piece after the skiing, very jealous I wish I could head off for a ski but the hill by me is a) a hill b ) too warm and c) I can't really ski very well or infect own any! My brother is currently in Austria having a whale of a time with his family....

However nice work I a beautiful kit, I am sure it will have your normal high quality of modelling going into it

Rob

Thanks Rob! I'll muddle along in my usual glacial pace then....

I've actually made a start on the cockpit , but first I had to deal with a few sinkmarks
36084133420_1b30562917_o.jpgP1040178 by Christer Andersson, on Flickr
The filler came out early in this build! That was a little unexpected...
After that chock, I started drilling stuff.
36084133310_defd9a7c47_o.jpgP1040180 by Christer Andersson, on Flickr
Lightening holes must be open, that's like a rule of nature or something.

All of a sudden I had a lot of parts ready which could be painted Interior Grey/green
36312706352_926a5798da_o.jpgP1040187 by Christer Andersson, on Flickr
But I had to improve it a little bit with some wires
36312706082_afcdf4c584_o.jpgP1040189 by Christer Andersson, on Flickr

36312705932_31670eec65_o.jpgP1040191 by Christer Andersson, on Flickr
I lookad A LOT on this

http://spitfiresite.com/2010/07/anatomy-of-spitfire-cockpit.html
I'll probably add a few more wires on the right side in due time.

I also started to paint the chair.
36312706212_194765bb3f_o.jpgP1040188 by Christer Andersson, on Flickr
It's painted Tamiya Hull Red, and then I sponge painted a lighter and darker version of that color on top of it.

Straight out of Roy Sutherlands tip!

http://barracudacals.blogspot.com.au/2015/12/how-to-paint-resin-seat-with-molded-in.html

I think it turned out quite good

But what about the wings?

Yes, I learned about the puttied leading edge , and since this is a test model, why not test it? Mr Surfacer, make your magic please!
36312706462_622edecfe1_o.jpgP1040186 by Christer Andersson, on Flickr
Should the wing tips be puttied as well? I can deal with that....I hope.

Edited by Christer A
Flikr-fied
  • Like 8

Those sink marks on parts 26 and 27 look pretty severe, I don't think that they're as bad as that on mine.

Keep up the good work

John

I just started to look at an Eduard Mk IX kit, and the sink marks are present on mine, similar severity. I'm in no way a Spitfire expert, but from Christer's photos above I'd say the kits share a mould for that sprue.

I think you're right about the common sprue, the Mk XVI has them too, and just as pronounced. I have a couple of Mk VIII overtrees and they are deeper on one than the other, strange that.

I hadn't thought about the wing tips, they are depicted as smooth on most Spitfire kits I have, but I don't know if that is correct, I'm sure that someone out there will tell us.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

I bought some of Vallejo's Metal Paints on the weekend - it was the first time I've seen them here so I grabbed four to play with (many thanks to Craig at Aeroworks for taking the punt on stocking them, as he usually doesn't carry Vallejo). They're a little pricey here in Australia, but I'm glad I did: early experiments painting a resin engine block for a 1:48 Roland D.II have been very pleasing. Steel and Burnt Iron look better than any other acrylic 'metallics' I've ever used, and better than Mr Metal Color (which was a little surprising). Pleasingly, they buff really well too.

• Like 1

That sounds promising!

I've been looking for something that's as good or better than my old Citadel Mithril Silver/chainmail pots. Since GW changed their paint formulas to the new one, the replacment (runefang steel) is nowhere as good as the old ones. I like the Nuln oil though!

Here's hoping that the paints arrive today so that I can test paint!

• Like 1

Unfortunately, it seems that the paints have taken the scenic tour, and have not arrived.

Bummer.

But I did some painting anyway.

36312705792_68927dff3e_o.jpgP1040194 by Christer Andersson, on Flickr

I like black basing cockpits, since then you can spray the top coat at an angle to give a better illusion of depth

36312702352_7ffc65d820_o.jpgP1040197 by Christer Andersson, on Flickr

Detailpainting next!

Edited by Christer A
Flikr-fied
  • Like 8