A lovely pair of Jugs (well someone had to be the first to post it!)

Now that I've got your attention I'll explain what I intend to be building for this GB.

I am going to attempt my first double build having seen it done on a few other GB's as it seems to make a lot of sense, they are both the same aircraft (more or less) with the same interior colours and the same overall colour scheme (probably). I lay most of the blame for this at David's (MirageIV's) feet for his continued prolific high quality builds of pairs (or more) of aircraft in the time it takes me to build one, so hopefully I can burn through the stash more quickly.

Anyway onto the kits....

P-47%20001_zpses2x0kwx.jpg

Any of you who have seen any of my builds in the past will know that I have an aversion to building aircraft in the usual colour schemes, so nothing American here! My P-47N will be built as an aircraft that was supplied to the Nationalist Chinese on Taiwan after they had fled there following losing the Chinese Civil War. here is a closer picture of the kit and extras....

P-47%20002_zpsft5h6cpe.jpg

I found a resin cockpit by HiTech in the box (amazing the things you forget you've got) which I may or may not use and the decals are by a Taiwanese company called Bestfong whose decals I have never used before so I will be interested to see how they perform. The aircraft I have chosen to build is shown below, but to be fair they all looked alike other than for unit markings.

P-47%20003_zpscfxyrq9v.jpg

The second aircraft will be from the Hasegawa boxing which comes with all the bits to do any version of the bubbletop D variant and builds up very nicely (I did one a couple of years ago). This will be a Latin American one but I am not sure which country yet, I am torn between either Mexico or Cuba. Here is a picture of the bundle....

P-47%20004_zpscwa3ren4.jpg

The picture below shows the Mexican aircraft I might build (probably the favourite at the moment) which is from a sheet by Aztec whose decals I have used before and whose research is very good.

P-47%20005_zpsz29qgt6g.jpg

My other option is for a Cuban aircraft and I even have a choice to make as to which scheme I use as I can build one in either natural metal or one in a locally applied olive green colour. These decals are by Aeromaster whose decals we all know so they will work fine, their research however can be a little sketchy but they have this one done well. Here is a picture of their sheet.

P-47%20006_zpsgdrfh02o.jpg

Anyway that's the plan.

All comments and criticisms will be gratefully received, and any preference as to which scheme to use for my D will be helpful.

Thanks for looking in.

Craig.

• Like 13

Hi Craig and welcome aboard. I do like the colours schemes, it's good to see someone going for the more unusual schemes available for this aircraft. Plus two builds.....if they're like your F-5 then they'll be amazing!

Good luck with the build, hope it's fun and enjoyable, look forward to seeing them in the gallery.

• Like 1

Thanks Rich,

I will try to live up to your expectations, though there is far less scope for for paint chipping and weathering on these, unless I choose the olive Cuban D.

And yes I hope it will be a fun experience, I'm already considering other multiple builds for my other GB projects so I hope this one works out!

I know nothing about these propeller things :winkgrin: but will watch with interest Craig after what amazing models you have been doing recently. If you do a NMF one I'll look forward to how you tackle that for sure! On the double builds, ok I'll take a little blame ^_^ , but I have never done a double of two 1/48 kits with their added complexity, will admire your patience for that! :popcorn:

• Like 1

Hi Craig. Welcome to the GB and I love your choice of subject.

I didn't even know that Taiwan had some N's. O and just like K said do the OD version for the D.

It will give a nice contrast.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Yes Craig you have to do the lesser Air Force versions. I have looked up some of the schemes for these P-47's and there are some really interesting ones. I think you should stick with the Taiwanese and Cuban ones, they're cool.

• Like 1

Hi Arnold,

Yes Taiwan operated quite a few P/F-47's with over 100 D's and up to 42 N's being supplied. These were kept quite busy dealing with regular incursions from their Communist neighbours engaging in several aerial skirmishes and according to some sources being responsible for the sinking of some Chinese Communist warships.

Looks like the OD Cuban "D" is quite popular, I think I can have some fun with that!

I know nothing about these propeller things :winkgrin: but will watch with interest Craig after what amazing models you have been doing recently. If you do a NMF one I'll look forward to how you tackle that for sure! On the double builds, ok I'll take a little blame ^_^ , but I have never done a double of two 1/48 kits with their added complexity, will admire your patience for that! :popcorn:

Thanks David I appreciate your interest, especially as aircraft with windmills on the front are not your thing. As for only taking a little of the blame for this double build I don't know how you have the cheek! This is entirely your fault!! :winkgrin:

Actually the P-47 is rather uncomplicated once you get past the cockpit area so hopefully the main assembly shouldn't take too long, I actually intend to do some prep work tonight.

Looks like you will get to see some weathering as the OD Cuban one seems to be popular.

There are also a few other South America operators of P-47's as well.....can't think of them at the moment, but your choices are cool.

The P-47 was very popular in Latin America as it was a very robust aircraft that packed a huge punch and I could keep myself busy just building them for a while. Off the top of my head they were used by Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Chile, Peru, Venezuela, Mexico, Nicaragua, Cuba, Dominican Republic and Guatemala so there are quite a few to go at. There's also the Puerto Rican Air National Guard (also "N"'s), but I don't really count them as they are de-facto American (no offence meant to either party there its just that America is a little mainstream for me).

• Like 1

Time for a bit of an update.

I have done a bit of work on the cockpits by painting all the component parts and I must say I am impressed by the detail on the Hi-Tech resin parts, not that either the Academy or Hasegawa parts are bad. Anyway here are a couple of pictures of the cockpits as they stand at the moment with the resin one first followed by the Hasegawa parts, or at least most of them.

P-47%20001_zpsgflxl5nf.jpg

P-47%20002_zpsuz9dcucg.jpg

The fuselage halves have also had some paint thrown at them and this is how they look, with the Hasegawa one at the top of the picture.

P-47%20003_zpsmywxcvnz.jpg

The wing assemblies have also been glued together but will need some polishing of joints etc. I have decided to build the Academy N with the gun bays closed to make the build a little faster and this what the wings look like at the moment.

P-47%20004_zpsok9jarw8.jpg

I hope to get some more done later this week.

Thanks for looking and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 8

Oo I will be following this one. I will most likely be entering with a Mexican D model but the one that had the D-day invasion stripes on it and the the Stars and bars on one side. Lovely cockpit detail there :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words guys, much appreciated.

Don't think I will be able to get any more done until the weekend, work has a nasty habit of getting in the way of modelling time, but hopefully I will get the cockpits finished then.

Dazzio I look forward to seeing your Pacific based Mexican P-47, the combination of USAAF and Mexican markings on these look very interesting. Will you be building a razorback or bubbletop version?

• Like 1

Dazzio I look forward to seeing your Pacific based Mexican P-47, the combination of USAAF and Mexican markings on these look very interesting. Will you be building a razorback or bubbletop version?

I believe it was based in Italy (I really am going off the top of my head here), I have got to find the decals in my man-cave. Just realised that the stripes on it are not D-day ones (easy mistake to make on a black/white print out) but NMF and yellow. The combination of USAAF and Mexican markings really do make an interesting addition to anyones collection, plus I love the Mexican markings. Think I first saw these on a loading screen for War Thunder. It will be a bubbletop version tho. The decals have it down as an D model, but I got the Revell N model. Trying to work out if I can use that or not. I will be starting it as soon as I have finished my Firestorm Armada fleet (close to throwing it all in the bin).

Kind Regards,

Dazz

I believe it was based in Italy (I really am going off the top of my head here), I have got to find the decals in my man-cave. Just realised that the stripes on it are not D-day ones (easy mistake to make on a black/white print out) but NMF and yellow. The combination of USAAF and Mexican markings really do make an interesting addition to anyones collection, plus I love the Mexican markings. Think I first saw these on a loading screen for War Thunder. It will be a bubbletop version tho. The decals have it down as an D model, but I got the Revell N model. Trying to work out if I can use that or not. I will be starting it as soon as I have finished my Firestorm Armada fleet (close to throwing it all in the bin).

Kind Regards,

Dazz

I think you can't use the N for a D or you need to change the wings. That is the big difference.

Cheers,

Dazz the Mexican P-47's were definitely based in the Philippines and were with the 201st Fighter Squadron and were attached to the American 58th Fighter Group based on the island of Luzon.

The black markings were just two thick black lines painted over the natural metal finish, there was no yellow or white between the lines, although they were sometimes edged with very thin white lines.

As Arnold says you really can't make a D from an N as the wings are different, the dorsal fin fillet is also different but could be replaced.

• Like 1

If I am honest, I really am going off my memory from the last time I quickly saw the sheet. Wonder where the bloody hell I got Italy from?? Hang on... Think I am getting confused with Brazil... The decal scheme is very similar to yours, modelling minion, except with the stars and bars.

Thank you both for the input on the D model. Looks likes I will have to pick up a d model, maybe a decal sheet with a pinup on it ;)

Sorry for the derailment of the thread. Normal pastic use can resume :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1