Bf109E1, White 4 of 1/JG20, September 1939

Hi Folks, here is the result of my recent WIP thread completed on the evening of Hogmanay (New Year's Eve in Scotland). This is the Airfix 1/48 scale Messerschmitt Bf109E1 completed as White 4 of 1/JG20 based at Brandenburg-Briest in early September 1939, by the 9th of September it was operating out of Sprottau for the Polish campaign. The decals are from the Topdrawings Messerschmitt Bf109E book by Kagero however I used Montex masks for the national insignia.

I wanted to try some different paints for this one and Jamie at Sovereignhobbies was kind enough to give me some Colourcoats enamels for the main colours used on this build, RLM02, RLM65, RLM70 and RLM71. I also used Mr Hobby acrylics for the darker patches where some over painting had been carried out on the real thing.

WIP can be found here for more details: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234992989-airfix-148-messerschmitt-bf109e1-1jg20-sept-1939-completed-31st-december/

IMG_1898_zpsdxx0mnpv-L.jpg

IMG_1906_zpsw7qmi3vg-L.jpg

IMG_1921_zpszcbyakak-L.jpg

IMG_1928_zpsklpwecr7-L.jpg

IMG_1914_zpspcmsmlri-L.jpg

Duncan B

• Like 29

Thanks for the comments folks, I agree that the early colour scheme suits the 109 and is something a little different from the more commonly seen RLM65 high line scheme of BoB and onwards. I have the Classic Airframes Bf109C/D and an Eduard Bf109E to make in this early scheme too so will have a few more in the 1/48 collection. So far I have 6 x 1/48 Bf109s and they are all wearing different colour schemes so make for an interesting shelf full.

Graham, I am a reluctant 1/48 builder but seem to have acquired quite a few over the years so thought it was time to get them built, normal service will be resumed in the Gentleman's scale very shortly.

Duncan B

• Like 1

Very nice build. Interesting subject - you don't see early Emils that often. The colour scheme reminds me somewhat of the later East German camouflage adopted from the late seventies. I like the restrained weathering too - clearly not war weathered.

Jay

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Duncan, sorry for being late in commenting this. It was a thoroughly enjoyable build to follow, and what a great outcome! :clap:

Unusual, interesting scheme, ans spot-on post-shading and weathering :worthy:

Ciao

• Like 1