1/72 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IIa (new tool) by Revell - released

Homebee

49 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon

But for God'sake why another Mk VB ? when there we already have the Tamiya and KP ones .a mk Vc would be a more interesting choice ..

Patrice

Patrice,

I couldn't agree more!

Wez

• Like 1

On 30/11/2016 at 5:17 PM, Wez said:

I think you're right about stealing a march on Airfix to produce a Vb, why else would they bother with the separate wing tips and lower cowling - an obvious hint at clipped wing tips and a Vokes filter.

Agree about waiting and seeing.

I thought later type with internal armour too but I'm not au-fait enough with the details to be sure.

Quite possibly, although as they've attached the upper wings to the same sprue as the fuselage there would have to be some filling and sanding and re-scribing, not to mention additional canon bulges.  That is, of course, unless they will release a VB with all the current parts plus additional wings a la Sword Mk XIVs.  They could really steal a march on Airfix if they re-released this kits with parts for a VC if they are going to go to so much trouble. 

13 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon

But for God'sake why another Mk VB ? when there we already have the Tamiya and KP ones .a mk Vc would be a more interesting choice ..

Patrice

How much money do the Tamiya and KP ones make for Revell?

2 hours ago, Airgunner said:

How much money do the Tamiya and KP ones make for Revell?

That's not really the question.

There is a huge, yawning chasm out there in Spitfire land for a Vc which was after all, one of the main production versions and arguably, due to the range of colour schemes and operational use, one of the most colourful versions.  Also it leads in nicely to the Seafire II and III so ultimately it's also one of the more versatile versions too.

I don't believe Patrice was questioning whether Revell should make a Spitfire, he was merely questioning the wisdom of a Mk.Vb.  Lets face it, to the casual or neophyte modeller a Spitfire is a Spitfire, they are unlikely to give a toss about the mark, but the enthusiast does and those people are responsible for repeat sales.

So please Revell, if you are going to make a Mk.V, make it a Vc.

Edited by Wez
speelung
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Kuro Nezumi said:

Would it be too hard for Revell to create a Mk.XII from the Mk.V fuselage with alterations to the cowling? The first batch of Mk.XII's were built on the Mk.Vc airframe.

It would require a totally new fuselage, as the cowling is part of the fuselage halves. And of course all the other bits and pieces that differentiate the two versions, starting from the different rudder and moving to the different propeller

Considering the number of new parts, we'd be talking a totally different kit

On 02/12/2016 at 8:53 AM, Kuro Nezumi said:

Would it be too hard for Revell to create a Mk.XII from the Mk.V fuselage with alterations to the cowling? The first batch of Mk.XII's were built on the Mk.Vc airframe.

No, this is a myth left over from wartime (I think it is in Aircraft of the Fighting Powers).  All Mk.XIIs were built as such from new, with a new flush-rivetted rear fuselage.  The wings were the same as those on the Mk,Vc.  The first 50 had the last tails from the Mk.V run, with the next 50 having tails from the Mk.VIII (retractable tailwheel).  Both were fitted with a new rudder - known in Supermarine's as the "Mk.XII rudder", but later adopted as standard.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 5

OK lads,

just this afternoon my testshot of Revell´s new Spitfire arrived. I would have been happy to share them in all detail with you, but unfortunately my website kitreviewsonline.com has been attacked by whoever and I am right now in the process of "cleaning" all the webspace from malware.

In the meantime, at least one picture of all the sprues:

revell03953spitfiremkdnsng.jpg

Detailled sprue photos etc. will follow via my website - hopefully tomorrow!

Wednesday I will start an online testshot-build here on Britmodeller ... as soon as I have finished my Airfix P-40B (Quarterscale) for my Pearl Harbor-review.

Michael

Edited by Der Lingener
  • Like 8

On 30.11.2016 at 13:33, Dave Fleming said:

Not 'spare', I suspect they are reduced in width as they are used for the 'wheels up' option.

Hi Dave,

that´s  exactly what the instructions tell us modellers to do: Use parts 8 (4-spoked wheels) for landing gear "up" and parts 9 (5-spoke) for landing gear "down". It remains a mystery to me why they chose a 4-spoke wheel for "u/c up" and a 5-spoke type for "u/c down"!
But: Both types are of the same width so either parts 9 are way too thin or they are of the correct width and parts 8 are usable as "normal" tyres too!

Michael

Edited by Der Lingener
  • Like 1

This kit is a another joke from RoG (after strange Corsair kit last year). Ugly windshield,  ugly prop.... Huh. When you compared it with Eduard´s state of art Mk. IX/XVI, XVIII - huh ! Really - huh !!!! It´s end of 2017 and Revell Release this as new kit ?!!! HUH !

Don't like it?  Don't buy.  Simple as that.

Prop - replaceable from spares.  Canopy - replaceable from spares or Falcon Spitfire sets.  Provided that the basic airframe is sound - and it looks to be  - anything else is replaceable.

Yes, I know I've slagged it based on seeing the test shot at Telford but I'm waiting until I've taped it up befoe going any further.

Interesting that they provide standard and clipped wingtips. As far as I know, the first Spitfires with clipped wings were Mk.Vb's. That suggests that a Mk.V of some variant is coming, but I wish they would have tooled the Mk.I/II wings as full span.

2 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

I'm not sure why you would pick this over the Airfix Mk.I/II kit if given the choice.

Panel lines'd be the big one, I think. I know some people are already bothered enough by them to fill them. I turn a Nelsonian blind eye myself, because I'm incredibly lazy.

• Like 3

Or indeed the AZ one.  Neither it nor the Airfix require replacement parts.  However, as often pointed out, neither provide money for (in this case) Revell.  I won't get it because I have enough Mk.Is - I only bought the AZ because it was the cannon-armed variant.

Edited by Graham Boak

4 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

I'm not sure why you would pick this over the Airfix Mk.I/II kit if given the choice.

Panel lines, as Procopious mentioned, although they really don't bother me at all.  I think it's closer to a mk Va than the Airfix one and pricewise they're similar.

Some sanding may be in order for those odd plates.  The 5 spoke wheels are frankly cack, whilst the 4 spoke ones are nice spares.  Too many injector pin marks to clean up and the Airfix interior is marginally better.  

i think this is going to be a frustrating kit, because there's bits that Revell have done really well and others that are frankly cack.  It's really down to build and personal choice.

Given the vast numbers of Airfix ones in me stash (old and new tool), I can't see me shelling out for too many of these.

• Like 1