1/72 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IIa (new tool) by Revell - released

Homebee

7 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

Interesting pictures, the sprue layout in the instructions didn't show the clipped wing tips.

The bulge above the wheel wells looks a bit big, and not sure what that 'plate' between the inner and outer gun bay is meant to be

Could the plates be reinforcement points for suspension points for hanging the aircraft? Did Revell measure a museum bird that was or had been hanging from the ceiling?

Edited by VMA131Marine

2 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Could the plates be reinforcement points for suspension points for hanging the aircraft? Did Revell measure a museum bird that was or had been hanging from the ceiling?

I wonmdered about the IWM aircraft, but it has plates in differing positions

spitfire-hanging-in-the-atrium-exhibited

Thank you Meisnerr for linking the pictures of y review on Kitreviewsonline.de - should´ve done this myself, but to be honest: i was working on the Spitfire nearly all of the day (except for cooking meals for the chldren and our weekly dance-training in the evening) and simply forgot to do so!

The bulges above the wheel-wells are really a bit tooo prominent to look right.

As for the fit of the external armoured windshield - not easy, lads!

Michael

Dunno about this one. The prop doesn't bother me, I've got plenty spares from the Airfix Series 2 boxings. The windscreen does look terrible in the photos, so I'm anxiously awaiting the test build.

I'm one of those people who do object to the panel lines on the Airfix kit. Sitting next to my Tamiya Spit it's the Airfix panel lines that bother me a lot more than the shape issues of the Tamiya.

Also take into account that Airfix has become considerably more expensive both inside and outside the UK, with European sellers basically adding the UK price hike to their euro prices - which frankly is ridiculous because the reason for the UK price increase was the devaluation of the pound against the euro! The series 1 Spit is not generally available at the moment but would probably be at least a euro more expensive than the Revell, which I suppose will retail at 5,95 euros. The only Airfix Spit generally available now is the series 2 Va, which is considerably more expensive at 9,95 euros. So when it comes to price, Revell have the advantage.

Don't know, I was hoping for a definitive single-stage Merlin Spitfire kit but I'm a bit disappointed. Some of the details would need replacement really, true that I have plenty of spares but I'd expect something better from a brand new kit coming from a well known manufacturer. I'll likely buy one anyway to check it properly, but buying more... don't know, only if the shape is really great.

I'm one who likes the Airfix kit but is not totally happy with it. In particular I feel that the depiction of the wing-fuselage fairing is not great. The Revell kit, judging from these first pictures, promises to be much better here

So we still have to wait for ultimate Spitfire Mk.I. It's really surprising to see a modern kit with so many issues. I was really hoping for a nice kit. But I don't want to judge it completely before seeing it live. The only chance now is Eduard yet without this funny, Italeri like "patches".

Hi Dominik,

sorry for my late answer!
You asked for photos of the transparent parts - voilá:

The sprue:

revell03953spitfiremkqhj9m.jpg

The front parts:

revell03953spitfiremkvxj90.jpg

Internal armoured windshield fits perfectly, externally armoured one not without some work!

The rest:

revell03953spitfiremk6xjs3.jpg

Please notice: NO gunsight whatsoever on this sprue!

More here:

http://www.kitreviewsonline.de/?p=17550

Michael

Just now, Dave Fleming said:

And yet you took the time to open the thread and post?

Even those who claim to despise them can't resist the allure of their beauty!

• Like 10

On 07/12/2016 at 8:58 AM, sroubos said:

Also take into account that Airfix has become considerably more expensive both inside and outside the UK, with European sellers basically adding the UK price hike to their euro prices - which frankly is ridiculous because the reason for the UK price increase was the devaluation of the pound against the euro! 

The cost of the imported parts and material has nothing to do with the exchange rate to the Euro, but to the whole world outside.  Airfix cannot carry out their business at the old costs, so they have to be raised wherever the export market.  Plus the price rise had other causes linked to the problems within the Hornby business.  Euro businesses have to buy Airfix at the new price, to which they then apply the current exchange rate and their own requisite markup.  

2 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

Good reply to another good reply!

??

The comment

2 hours ago, Shrek51 said:

Another Spitfire .......yawn

is fully understandable (at least to me): We are normally treated with Messerschmitts, Tiger tanks, Mustangs, Phantoms, Shermans (to name but a few) to the hundreds so Shrek 51´s "yawn" is understandable: There are so many modelling subjects "out there" that some of us would be happy to buy and build ... but: "Some of us"! ONLY "some of us"! A minority amongst those buying kits!

Manufacturers nowaday must have an eye on their sales and, like it or not, a Spitfire or Messerschmitt will always be a bestseller! And thereby make profits for those who produce them!
The plastic modelling industry is not alone working for us, the average modeller - they have to make profit!

And guess what the occasional kit-buyer (not necessarily a builder! But one who buys them!) will choose for his money? Messerschmitts, Mustangs, Spitfires, Tigers and Shermans - not those obscure Saab-fighter and experimental soviet tanks!

So we will see another Mustang, another Spitfire and ...of course... another Messerschmitt!

Michael

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing those pics Michael!

The internal armor windscreen is terrible, lacks two frames at the top and Revell didn't notice that the lower frames have a totally different shape (the two types were not interchangeable).

I was hoping for the unarmoured type to be included but that part is not right for this version either. None of this is relevant to the Mk.II of course, as this only used the external armour windscreen

Hi Giorgio,

unfortunately it is too late to give those chaps at Revell´s a hint concerning the windshields: The model is about to be released soon and I doubt they will now produce new windscreens! So we will have to live with it or avoid the kit and the "occasional modeller" who simply buys a kit because it is labelled "Spitfire", "Mustang" or "Messerschmitt" will definitely not notice!

Michael

It may still be worth tipping them off. I believe Georgio is saying that the part needed for this Mk.II kit is correct so there'd be no need to change it. However, if they were going to release a follow-on that did use internal armoured glass, say a Mk.V, then they could correct it in time for that.

John.

22 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

The cost of the imported parts and material has nothing to do with the exchange rate to the Euro, but to the whole world outside.  Airfix cannot carry out their business at the old costs, so they have to be raised wherever the export market.  Plus the price rise had other causes linked to the problems within the Hornby business.  Euro businesses have to buy Airfix at the new price, to which they then apply the current exchange rate and their own requisite markup.  

The price rise coupled with the devaulation of the Pound compared to the Euro should roughly offset each other. Certainly this seems to be true from the perspective of buying Airfix kits direct from Hornby from the USA. Practically, prices haven't really changed.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2016 at 0:09 AM, Dave Fleming said:

I wonmdered about the IWM aircraft, but it has plates in differing positions

spitfire-hanging-in-the-atrium-exhibited

The ribs are very noticeable in that photo. You'd be forgiven for thinking it was a 'rag wing' Spit!

On ‎08‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 5:27 PM, Dave Fleming said:

Because I find yet another Spitfire release boring and unimaginative  am I not then allowed to make any comment ?, its purely my opinion, I,m sure they will sell by the bucketload. Or am I not allowed an opinion on this site either?