Vought XF5U-1 "Flying Flapjack"

Martian

Having driven myself to the brink of insanity with my Tracker build over the last few days and with more difficult stuff looming in the near future, I feel the need for a little light relief. By lucky hap, an item that fits the bill nicely turned up in my pile of Birthday presents a couple of weeks ago. Well, not so much luck really as every year, my wife and sister in law hand me a large wad of cash for Telford and tell me to go and buy my Christmas and Birthday presents. Even I can't be such a Muppet as to get that one wrong!

The minute I saw this on the Big H stand at Telford, my grubby little mitt was clutching at an example. A whacky shape, great nose art (Bugs Bunny on a flying carpet), a smart Sea Blue Gloss paint scheme and the opportunity for some bonkers banter with some of my BM friends. What's not to like.

I got some extra goodies that I felt might help the build along and hopefully I can make a start over the bank holiday weekend.

Thanks for looking in and as always comments sensible or otherwise are always welcome.

Martin

4a041c48-c4de-482e-84e9-d5e0ffa3f3ef_zps

011_zpsuo8uxb0o.jpg

009_zpszbsaydlw.jpg

002_zpsyind4xks.jpg

003_zpsz3uuhme4.jpg

004_zps5mmvmuon.jpg

006_zpsvl86kj9g.jpg

• Like 11

Yeah, it should be good fun Hendie. Before I got stuck into the booze, I cleaned up the main halves of the wing/fuselage and the fit was pretty much perfect. the intakes will need the tiniest bit of filler but not much. So far this kit looks like it could be a novel experience for me; one that goes together without much grief and doesn't involve a ton of extra work. I am seriously in need of such a project at the moment to preserve what little remains of my marbles!

Martin (Or should that be Martian for this build? You decide!)

Wingselage? Fwing?

You tell me! I haven't got a clue. It is still a pretty cool subject for a model by any standards.

Martin

I have a copy of this publication which I will be happy to email to anyone interested in this aircraft or building a model of same:

Illustrated%20Assembly%20Breakdown%203_z

Just send me a private message with your email address. It's a PDF.

• Like 10

Oh, great !!

I've been notified that my Flapjack kit is sitting at the PO awaiting my collection, so I can follow and shamelessly plagiarise your progress, Martin.

Won't be starting it for a week or so as I have a flying [!] visit to the yewkay next week so, by the time I've returned and got it started

, you should be far enough advanced for me to avoid your pitfalls……...

I can't promise a w.i.p. as my camera and computer have major communications issues.

Michael, I'll gratefully take you up on your offer of a copy of the book - pm inbound.

Cheers,

Rog

• Like 1

I have a copy of this publication which I will be happy to email to anyone interested in this aircraft or building a model of same:

Illustrated%20Assembly%20Breakdown%203_z

Just send me a private message with your email address. It's a PDF.

A very generous offer! PM inbound.

Oh, great !!

I've been notified that my Flapjack kit is sitting at the PO awaiting my collection, so I can follow and shamelessly plagiarise your progress, Martin.

Won't be starting it for a week or so as I have a flying [!] visit to the yewkay next week so, by the time I've returned and got it started

, you should be far enough advanced for me to avoid your pitfalls……...

I can't promise a w.i.p. as my camera and computer have major communications issues.

Michael, I'll gratefully take you up on your offer of a copy of the book - pm inbound.

Cheers,

Rog

No pressure to crack on then Rog! I don't know how far I will get in a week but you are more than welcome to use any ideas I might pick up along the way, as is anyone else following this thread.

Martin

Always loved this beastie.

Strictly speaking it's probably a lifting body

from before the term was invented.

Is this Yankieluft '46? I think so, therefore Martian is back in fashion.

Sitting here with a wee (ish) dram & watching.

Pete

• Like 1

Martian it is then! Sadly it will all have to wait until tomorrow as an Irish friend of mine managed to get me squiffy over the phone to the tune of a half bottle of scotch and a couple of beers! :pardon: How very dare she!

Martian von £%$"(& as a space newt)

• Like 4

Hope your phone didn't get too damp, with the scotch and beer martian.

Surely it can't be too dangerous wielding a scalpel under the influence? I've done more damage to my anatomy sober than when tiddly.

Matt

• Like 1

Hope your phone didn't get too damp, with the scotch and beer martian.

Surely it can't be too dangerous wielding a scalpel under the influence? I've done more damage to my anatomy sober than when tiddly.

Matt

I was so squiffy I would probably ended up gluing the wrong parts to the wrong model and heaven knows what I might have ended up doing with my pointy tweezers! :yikes:

I don't know if it's the quirkiness of the subject or the fact that someone said booze but I'll be having an eye on this one it looks like it's gonna be a good un

Mick

It looks so bizarre that it s hard to take it seriously which bodes well for a fun build.

Martian

• Like 1

Thanks Nigel. I did get some subassemblies glued together earlier today so I will probably get a few pictures up tomorrow. I am kind of holding back a little pending the arrival of Michael's generous offer as I don't want to preclude any ideas that might put into my fevered brain.

Martin

Nice to see someone building this, remember seeing one in Hannants and thinking 'that would be good for an unusual build'. Will be watching with interest!

• Like 1

Great subject, I've build the 1/72 Hasagawa kit many years ago.

But why the Russian stars? A what if version?

Dave

Probably but then I would have thought the real thing was whacky enough! I notice that the Japanese version of the kit has decals for an Animee version that have been carefully removed from the export version. Don't know what's going on there. Still it doesn't effect the build I want to do so I don't mind.

Martian

• Like 1

Nigel: I don't have your email address, or you'd have been the first person to whom I sent the Vought booklet!

No problem Mike, you did post some useful information on my build IIRC.

No problem Mike, you did post some useful information on my build IIRC.

And I was only recently loaned the original document to scan, long after you had finished your masterpiece!

• Like 1

Martin Hale has advised me he is having difficulty receiving the XF5U-1 document which several of you have requested. Could I ask one of you who HAS successfully received it to try to send him a copy? If he still doesn't receive it, then we'll know his Internet Service Provider is at fault. Thanks.

• Like 1

Thanks for that Michael I'm sure we will find a way round this. If it does turn out to be my server, it will be one cock up too many and they will be history!

Martian

Got my copy, loud 'n' clear, thanks, Mike. :thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Some interesting and useful content !!

Crack on with it, Martian, so I can start cribbing when I get back from my trip.

Have no doubt you will bless the kit with your usual degree of wackiness !!

• Like 1