IDF's F-15C Baz 'Commando' - 1/72 Academy

Hi Everyone!

This is my third and the last model for this year – F-15C in IDF service.

IMG_3003

In fact the model is not completely new. It’s the refurbishment of the Modelist kit (repack of Academy) that I assembled OOB some 14 years ago as the USAF’s F-15. I was never happy with how it turned out and was thinking about major overhaul for couple of years. The idea to do it as an IDF’s Baz gave me the necessary mojo.

I stripped model of the paint with caustic soda (this procedure also helped to safely detach most minor parts), cleaned and polished canopy, removed upper front fuselage part to make improvements to the cockpit. Then assembled everything back. Aftermarket updates to the original kit included some Eduard PE and Quickboost chair in the cockpit and Hasegawa’s AIM-7E and AIM-9L (for some reason soda did not help to remove white paint from original missiles). Plus the key element – beautiful Isradecal set. It’s very nice – well-printed, readable stencils, allows to build any IDF’s Baz. But it’s over 300 decals :doh: and that is not including stripes on missiles. To be honest – decaling quality started to diminish after #200. And now I start panicking when I see ‘complete stencils’ sheets :fraidnot:

I reproduced F-15C #840 nicknamed “Commando” soon after the Lebanon war – somewhat in 1983. Therefore it has all 6 kill marks and earlier squadron markings and nickname style.

IMG_3001 IMG_3008 IMG_3019 IMG_3005 IMG_3007 IMG_3016 IMG_3035 IMG_3038 Collage F-15

The aspect I’m not really sure about is Sidewinders :hmmm: I know that IDF widely used Python 3 missiles during Lebanon war – however various sources give various information on what missiles were actually used to kill MiGs – some claim 100% Python’s, some claim that Sidewinders were also used :shrug: Final decision to use Sidewinders was due to virtual unavailability of Pythons. Maybe sometime later I will get true Israeli missiles and replace those boring AIM-9s…

It's a bit late for Happy Hanukkah and Merry Christmas – but just in time for Happy New Year to everyone!!! :santa:

Dennis

Edited by Dennis_C
updated photo links to flickr
  • Like 15

Stunning, all the more so considering this is a restoration. Amazed that not only did the canopy survive, it looks clearer than many new builds. And having done a full stencil job earlier this year, you have my sympathy and admiration for persevering! :goodjob:

Sure I have some Python 3 missiles in the stash, so you fancy swapping the sidewinders out, more than happy to assist.

Darren