1/48 ACE 20mm Flak38 with Airfix Bedford MWD

ScanmanDan

Hi guys.

Saw this little kit at the shop and had to give it try even though I knew nothing of the manufacture or seen a review of the kit.

flak%2038%20box.jpg

Inside are two grey sprues, a tiny decal sheet and one page of pretty basic instuctions. The parts are for the mostly flash free and basically detailed.

The instructions are pretty basic and not too clear. I have managed to put the leaf springs on upside down, doh!

Here's where I'm at right now with some few additions by me.

flak%2038%2003.jpg

flak%2038%2002.jpg

flak%2038%2001.jpg

I'm still trying to work out how the gun goes together as the instructions aren't too much help.

Shortly off to the paint shop!

Thanks for looking.

Dan

Edited by ScanmanDan
  • Like 1

I have been working on something to tow the little Flak 38 and thought that the Airfix MWD would do nicely.

The Airfix kit is a little cracker and I'm having so much fun putting it together. All looks pretty good with some minor additions and clean up of flash and mold mis-matches.

Plan is for a British NW Europe camouflage towing a captured german gun. Nice to see the good guys nickin' stuff for a change. With that in mind I'm going to try my hand a few figures too! ;)

I'm am mucking with some 28mm heads on Tamiya british stock figures - More information as I come to some conclusions if they will work.

Progress? such as it is….

Bedford%2001.jpg

Bedford%2002.jpg

Bedford%2003.jpg

Bedford%2004.jpg

I still have a fair bit to go but having a blast.

Thanks for dropping in for a look.

Dan

Edited by ScanmanDan

bull-nut - Thanks! - You have to give this kit a try. It is cracking good fun, everything fits well and you can build it in so many different ways. :D

Progress- almost to the painting stage!

Bedford%2005.jpg

Bedford%2006.jpg

Bedford%2007.jpg

Bedford%2008.jpg

Working on the mirrors and some cargo for the bed. I want to try using Green Stuff to make a tarp as I haven't used it before and want to experiment. The plan is to use Green Stuff to do Zimmerit on my next Panther and so the practice will do me good.

I very much like how you can build the body separate from the chassis. That is going to make painting a whole lot easier.

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

Edited by ScanmanDan

Looking good, I wonder if the colour looks a little pale, but its your model (and my moniter :D ) I think mine has just moved up the build pile a few places. I managed to get the ITA etch for it before they closed up shop, but I'm still undecided how I will build it.

What I would really like is for Airfix (or anyone else for that matter) to do an injection Austin K2 Ambulance in 1/48 :D

Edit. Just found out that Red Zebra have resin stowage for both Army and RAF versions of this little beauty.

Edited by bull-nut

Hey Bull-nut- Maybe a touch light, think it may change a little once a dust her up a bit but I'll live with it either way :). Oh, you have to build this kit with the ITA etch, bonnet open to show off the nice engine detail. I looked into getting a set plus the one for the Dingo but in the end didn't have the $$$. Pity no one is taking over the product, sigh. You need to get this stuff as some as it is offered lest you miss out. Same goes for the Red Zebra stuff - plenty of goodies that I'd love but as I'm in Oz the shipping makes it a bit of a pain to get. I wish a local e-tailer like BNA Models would pick up his stuff. then I could manage the cost. Please share your Bedford once you start, I'd love to see what you come up with.

Progress; It's on it's legs now.

Bedford%2012.jpg

Bedford%2013.jpg

Bedford%2014.jpg

Well she's getting there. All I can get done before I go back to work sad.png . Figure is a bit of a bodge as I didn't fit his right arm with respect to the door with the result that the door won't fit closed. Still learning about figures. Not the end of the world but note to self - Work harder in getting figures to fit properly in the vehicle - tell a story.

Doors and details plus some more weathering but she's pretty well there.

Dan

Edited by ScanmanDan

• 4 weeks later...