Eduard SSW DIII model kits conundrum

Texian

Hello. I am going to build one of Eduard's SSW DIII model kits but, not sure which one or... combination of to build. As it happens, I have (or have on the way) all three kits. All three are 1:48 scale.

I had first got the early #8001 kit. Truly awesome PE but the plastic set stinks. Very crude and near solidly encased in flash. It also came with a weissmetal engine but frankly, it isn't very encouraging.

Then I picked up the weekender kit. Shortly after, I see I had my signals crossed and there's no pe or any extras of any kind. Maybe not a problem but, we'll see. that's why I'm here.

I figured I want the extras so I ordered the Profipack 8256 kit. It appears that the pe sheet is less detailed than that in the 8001 kit but, maybe that's due to expanded plastic components for the cockpit?

Then there's the question of decals. I have heard there's much debate as to the accuracy of the colors and such.

Now, I don't want to build all three. The 8001 offers great opportunity for scratch building but, I don't want to go there just now. I had enough fun on my last build trying to use spaghetti noodles for framing. Joy!

But now, in the last two kits, are there any differences in the plastic sets? How is the cockpit detailing? I have been looking at on-line builds and of course imagery is all over the place! One cockpit image I saw made it appear as if the plastic parts were a bit oversized. One thing I'm thinking is, take the pe from the 8001 kit and combining it into the weekender model. I wonder how hard it would be to make that work. Not to hard I should think.

A question of guns. One review gave me the impression that the gun kit was something separate, and of 16 pcs a kit unto itself.. But, looking at the sprue set in the (last two) models, I see two options for the guns using pe. Seems to be good enough for a rank amateur modeler in 1:48 scale.

Harking back to the 8001 kit, the included metal "engine leaves much to be desired especially considering (a.) the detail offered in the later plastic renditions and (b.) how little of the engine that will really be visible. I also understand there is some griping about the size of pe engine pushrods. Is it really as bad as all that?

In a nutshell, does the profipack kit offer any real advantages over the combo I described above? Does this one kit cover everything the first two could provide?

Finally, does any one kit offer a more nearly correct ('lozenge' camo pattern) appearance over the others, at least as far as can be ascertained today?

Lotsa questions! Thanks all!

I just recently finished the 8256 kit and was a bit baffled by the "faded" decals and replaced them with aftermarket. I also spent $30 more on the Brassin gun and engine kit and they turned out well but can hardly be seen in the finished model. I posted it in the completed aircraft section but it got lost quickly under the popularity of Spitfires and Phantoms. Here is a link to my finished model:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234993580-148th-siemens-schuckert-diii-eduard/?hl=siemens

I also have the 8001 kit and would suggest keeping it as a collectors item. It looks prettier in the box than it likely will built. Frankly, the photoetch included in the 8256 kit isn't all that necessary. The cockpit guns and engine in the Siemens DIII are difficult to see anyway as you pointed out. I'd recommend the Weekend kit for your build because the nice folks at Eduard added the color back to the lozenge decals for that issue after receiving lots of friendly feedback on the earlier version.

I don't think there's any debate - the lozenge colours n the original, limited run kit are way off the mark (as are those in the re-release with some PE replaced by resin under the Flashback lable) , the faded stuff in the first release of the new kit are completely pants, and to be honest the newest ones are also not anything as good as even the cheapest aftermarket alternatives. As said above, I'd recommend building the Weekender, and if you can stretch to it I'd use some Gaspatch guns and some extra decals. Pheon have a great set with personal markings (http://www.pheondecals.com/48037-siemens-schuckert-diii.html), and Aviatic do some cookie cutter lozenge to take away any pain (http://www.aviattic.co.uk/148-siemens-schuckert-diii.html) .

Personally, I'm sticking with my ancient but excellent Kosters vac kit, 'cos I'm strange that way and can't be helped.

Paul.

• Like 1

Great rendition Cratecruncher! Far better than anything I can render.

Paul. Thanks for the links. Unfortunately, they are not of much use to me. The one decal site doesn't show but a single wing plan view and doesn't carry Udet's color scheme it seems and my plan is to try and build all of Udet's color plans as far as they are known. There certainly are a vast array of wonderful color schemes available.

Regrettably, your second link just brought up a 404 error. Could there be a mistake in it?

Just for those interested, here's a link to another wonderfully done Eduard model SSW DIII in Lt. Dembrosky's simple but elegant scheme... http://www.themodellingnews.com/2014/11/eduards-new-148th-scale-ssw-d-iii-turns.html

Thanks again.

Jim

Edited by Texian

That's odd - doesn't show as a proper link. If you copy and paste iit without the brackets it should work (I just tried it and it worked for me, anyway), but if that doesn't, then just go to the Aviatic site, which is http://www.aviattic.co.ukand hover your mouse over the 'store' tab. There's a drop down menu, and moving the mouse over the '1/48th decals' choice just under halfway down pops up 3 choices, one of which says '1/48th Siemens Schuckert D.III'. I hope that works.

Paul.

Both suggestions work out. I have no doubt those are good quality but I am in Texas and 12 pounds works out to about $18.00 with shipping will equal or exceed $20.00. I wonder if that is about average or if it would be a little cheaper to find a supplier in the States. Shipping might be a lot less.

I will keep those in mind to use as a standard for appearance and quality. I won't say I won't buy from them either just that I probably should look about first.

Thanks much

I came back to look at this again and caught this...

I'd recommend the Weekend kit for your build because the nice folks at Eduard added the color back to the lozenge decals for that issue after receiving lots of friendly feedback on the earlier version.

Since I am going to have both kits, I don't see why I can't just swap the decals. Simple and cheap solution. Then I sell off the unused kit (noting the decal swap of course.)